Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Dual eSim Travel Question

Dual eSim Travel Question

Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I see signal, but no active data connection. Look at mine for example. Check your cellular data, is that local sim chosen?
Oh, I figured it out. For the "Travel" eSim, "Data Roaming" needed to be turned on. Now that it's turned on, it appears like everything might be working, don't you think...?

https://d.pr/i/Nw9Uc9

However, the "Primary" eSim is still showing no bars, as you see in the screenshot above. Is that supposed to be the case?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
It says “VZW using cellular data”. You shouldn’t have bars on that. Try making a call on that line.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslesFan
It says “VZW using cellular data”. You shouldn’t have bars on that. Try making a call on that line.
Yeah, it seems like calls and texts are working, even to Android phones. Sweet! Thanks for your help.

Oh, one question. For my "Primary (Verizon)" eSim, should data roaming be turned off? Or is it fine to leave it turned on since the network it's set to isn't a Verizon partner?

Last edited by alexcr; Oct 27, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Okay, to sum up what I did here, in case it's helpful for folks in the future...

1) Before leaving the U.S., I purchase an Indonesian eSim from Airalo. (Only data eSims are available.) I registered this eSim on my iPhone, labeling it "Travel," but I didn't turn it on until I was in Indonesia.

2) Upon arriving in Indonesia, I made the following changes to "Cellular" settings. I changed the "Cellular Data" selection to the "Travel" eSim. For the "Primary" eSim - that is, the Verizon eSim - I turned off "Automatic Network Selection," and selected a network called 510 78, which presumably isn't a roaming partner of Verizon. Also, for the "Primary" eSim, I turned on "Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming." Finally, for the "Travel" eSim, I turned on "Turned On The Line," and turned on "Data Roaming."

Everything seems to be working right now. I've been able to text and make calls to both friends with both iPhones and Android phones back in the U.S., for example.
TheChangingMan likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:58 pm

I am in Greece right now, and one small thing you might do is turn WiFi off. It’s an unnecessary battery drain and not required for IMS.
alexcr likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
I am in Greece right now, and one small thing you might do is turn WiFi off. Its an unnecessary battery drain and not required for IMS.
Thanks, draver. That makes sense. Semi-relatedly, for my "Primary (Verizon)" eSim, should data roaming be turned off? Or is it fine to leave it turned on since the network it is set to isn't a Verizon partner?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by alexcr
Thanks, draver. That makes sense. Semi-relatedly, for my "Primary (Verizon)" eSim, should data roaming be turned off? Or is it fine to leave it turned on since the network it is set to isn't a Verizon partner?
I just tested this by being in IMS function and then turning off Data Roaming on my voice “Using Cellular Data” line and it was working the same. I made calls to Voice Mail & 611. The calls went through normally and it might prevent your voice line from incurring charges if your data loses service without you noticing the dropout, since they are on different carriers. I don’t see any advantage to having it on, but it has never been an issue either.

BTW, I am in Greece, so this was a field test, with WIND for data, Vodafone GR for my voice line non roaming carrier.

Last edited by draver; Oct 28, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
I just tested this by being in IMS function and then turning off Data Roaming on my voice Using Cellular Data line and it was working the same. I made calls to Voice Mail & 611. The calls went through normally and it might prevent your voice line from incurring charges if your data loses service without you noticing the dropout, since they are on different carriers. I dont see any advantage to having it on, but it has never been an issue either.

BTW, I am in Greece, so this was a field test, with WIND for data, Vodafone GR for my voice line non roaming carrier.
Thanks, draver. I suppose that with Verizon, if I leave data roaming on and it unexpectedly starts using Verizon data, I should receive a text message from them informing me that a Travel Pass day is now being used, so I'd have a heads up that this is happening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.