FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Headphone adapter? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2094919-headphone-adapter.html)

karns Sep 20, 2022 6:38 am

Headphone adapter?

Hello all, I want to use my own headset on my next week flight from Canada to Europe, but the jack doesn't fit the one on the plane. Been looking for an adapter, but most seem to be the old fashioned 2 prong kind, which I haven't noticed being still available. Can anyone tell me if those are still used, and if not, where to find a single prong adapter?

jerryss Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm

What kind of adapter are you looking for?

2 prong to 1 prong?

Have you tried Amazon?

karns Sep 20, 2022 7:06 pm

Thanks for replying! My headset has a single prong, which I want to plug into the place on the AVOD that the little airline headsets plug into. The problem is my prong is smaller than the one on the AVOD. The only adapters I can find are 2 prong, which I think are to used in that slot that used to be on the side of the seat. Which I don't think even exist anymore, at least on the newer planes. I want a single prong adapter that I can plug my headset into, which will fit in the one on the AVOD.
Does such a thing even exist?

StuckInYYZ Sep 21, 2022 12:35 am

Originally Posted by karns (Post 34616937)
Thanks for replying! My headset has a single prong, which I want to plug into the place on the AVOD that the little airline headsets plug into. The problem is my prong is smaller than the one on the AVOD. The only adapters I can find are 2 prong, which I think are to used in that slot that used to be on the side of the seat. Which I don't think even exist anymore, at least on the newer planes. I want a single prong adapter that I can plug my headset into, which will fit in the one on the AVOD.
Does such a thing even exist?

Not quite sure there is a different single prong plug in the planes. Usually it's single, double or triple. The double prong adapters that come with some of the higher end headsets (eg, Boze/Sony) can be plugged into two of the triple holes to make it work (not sure what the smallest plug is for, but I assume it has something to do with orientation/stability). If it's a single hole (AC uses the single hole in economy for example), any 3.5mm plug should work.

My concern however would be the impedance. Some airlines (looking at you AC) have high impedance plugs(at least on the older planes) so you blow out your ears (and possibly your headphones) when they make an announcement and route it through the IFE and you're using your own headphones. Much worse if you fall asleep at the time. But that said, your headphones should work unless they're somehow using something like the old 2.5mm plugs (not sure who uses those anymore)

karns Sep 21, 2022 3:53 am

Thanks for that very good summary! I think I'll look for a headset with the proper size plug, as the one I have is the smaller one!

LIH Prem Sep 21, 2022 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by karns (Post 34617603)
Thanks for that very good summary! I think I'll look for a headset with the proper size plug, as the one I have is the smaller one!

Can you tell us exactly which model headphones you have so we can try to figure out which plug adapter it has. Mine has a mini-RCA single plug and it came with an adaptor to convert to an airline 2-plug adaptor. In that adaptor, one of the plugs is smaller than the other one, but as somebody mentioned above it works with airlines that have a 3 plug slot.

If it's a mini-RCA plug, then you should be good, and we can point you to a mini-RCA to airplane 2-plug adaptor on amazon for less than $10. But I'm confused by your post.

Also which airline are you talking about? Pictures and info might help us to figure out what you need. I'm sure there's an adaptor if we can figure that out.

-David

CarlTheWebmaster Sep 21, 2022 8:27 pm

Many (older?) phone headsets use a 2.5mm 4-pole plug. Many airline AV systems use a 3.5mm TRS/Stereo/3-pole jack. If that's what you have, something like this will help: That one's $10, some are as little as $5.

That said, decent earbuds with a 3.5mm stereo jack are like $15 (or less). These were recommended by Wirecutter as the best cheap ones:
Edit: May as well mention also. The 3.5mm TRS is a "mini stereo" plug. RCA is different - separate left (black or white) and right (red) plugs, often used on older receivers as a line in. See https://geekmusician.com/rca-vs-3-5mm/

karns Sep 21, 2022 9:01 pm

Thank you David and Carl!
My headset is a cheap Maxell kid's headset, I'm not a real headset snob, just want something that stays on my head, as opposed to the little buds they give you, which, for some reason won't stay in my ears.

It has what I think is a 2.5 mm prong, which just falls out of the speaker hole in the AVOD. So, I think I need a 3.5 mm prong and that is what I am looking for. Something 3.5 that I can plug the 2.5 into, so I can watch movies on the plane.

This is what I see on Amazon.ca, but I don't see how to plug it into the AVOD slot.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ef064a308b.jpg
Also, the one you mentioned, Carl. I am wondering if I am making this more complicated than it actually is.

StuckInYYZ Sep 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by karns (Post 34620040)
Thank you David and Carl!
My headset is a cheap Maxell kid's headset, I'm not a real headset snob, just want something that stays on my head, as opposed to the little buds they give you, which, for some reason won't stay in my ears.

It has what I think is a 2.5 mm prong, which just falls out of the speaker hole in the AVOD. So, I think I need a 3.5 mm prong and that is what I am looking for. Something 3.5 that I can plug the 2.5 into, so I can watch movies on the plane.

This is what I see on Amazon.ca, but I don't see how to plug it into the AVOD slot.

Also, the one you mentioned, Carl. I am wondering if I am making this more complicated than it actually is.

Kids headphones and earphones should be 3.5mm. When I said old, I was talking 20+ years.

As for the adapters, you plug into the one hole. The adapter fit is one way only. If you encounter a triple pin, the two pin adapters will also work, you just plug into the two plugs that properly fit. No need to force it.

And finally, depending on airline and route, the cabin crew will provide you with a pair of cheapies. For sure if the route is international... I know a few FT members who also carry the cheapies to give to those who like to watch their tablets without earphones... They might hook you up if you are nice to them. 😉

CarlTheWebmaster Sep 22, 2022 6:16 am

I'm not a real headset snob, just want something that stays on my head, as opposed to the little buds they give you, which, for some reason won't stay in my ears.

Obligatory plug/link for the Koss Porta Pros which sound absolutely wonderful (I use them while playing/recording music) and cost $40. (3.5mm stereo plug). I don't think I've seen the dual-plug jacks on a plane in several years but I suppose they are out there!

LIH Prem Sep 22, 2022 8:53 pm

You need the 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adaptor that Carl posted, right?

Here's one on amazon.ca

Or just buy those $40 headphones that Carl just posted.

-David

EAJuggalo Sep 23, 2022 6:44 am

If you're not a headset snob, go down to any store and buy a new set for less than $20 that will have the correct plug and sound much better than what you currently have.

JackMackey Oct 1, 2022 7:43 am

I need one for my Bose QuietComfort but looking on Amazon most generic brands have some ‘Did Not Work’ or other negative reviews for the lower priced ones. There is the option of buying a Bose version from other sellers but they are about $ 15, Bite the bullet or get a basic generic one? Having it not work or work poorly on a flight would make me regret saving 6 bucks.

StuckInYYZ Oct 1, 2022 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JackMackey (Post 34645978)
I need one for my Bose QuietComfort but looking on Amazon most generic brands have some ‘Did Not Work’ or other negative reviews for the lower priced ones. There is the option of buying a Bose version from other sellers but they are about $ 15, Bite the bullet or get a basic generic one? Having it not work or work poorly on a flight would make me regret saving 6 bucks.

Reviews often tend to be all over the place (and I suspect sometimes skewed) and there is always the chance of counterfeit versions.... but if I may offer a thought.... Unless you're the kind to lose/forget this adapter (or other small components) often, is the $6 saved worth the peace of mind?

JackMackey Oct 1, 2022 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34646504)
Reviews often tend to be all over the place (and I suspect sometimes skewed) and there is always the chance of counterfeit versions.... but if I may offer a thought.... Unless you're the kind to lose/forget this adapter (or other small components) often, is the $6 saved worth the peace of mind?

Like most I don't want to waste money but for such a small amount and on something that if it doesn't work on board leaves with me no other options I'm opting for the non generic one, just for peace of mind.