Wiki Posts
Search

Home Security Cameras - insight from other FTers appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Question Home Security Cameras - insight from other FTers appreciated

Hi all
I'm looking to get a home security camera that will be mounted outside. Doing several searches for reviews/etc and there are many options but wanted to get some feedback here.

Basically I'm looking for one security camera for the outside of the house
- Wide view with great night time quality and flood lights - Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro for example looks good here
- Prefer not to pay for cloud services but acknowledge I'll need it for video playback and history - Arlo Pro 4 seems ok at $3/mo, Google Next is at $6/mo.
- Needs to be accessible by 3 different accounts - as I have other family members who need access to the video/photo feed/alerts/etc
- Integration with Google/Siri etc is not super important
- Reliability - want a wired option as do not want to have to deal with batteries, that I can basically have installed and will run

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I have a Eufycam system which meets all of your requirements except mine is wireless. But, the batteries last 6 months before they need a charge, and they charge in about 6 hours. I have them set to record a 20-second video when motion is sensed. You can change that duration and motion sensitivity and get longer/shorter battery life.

https://us.eufy.com/
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - this is for a vacation home so we may not be there or in the area to charge the batteries hence need no maintenance. Also saw the Arlo cams with solar power but not sure if that's more of a faff than just getting the wired version?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aww3583
I have a Eufycam system which meets all of your requirements except mine is wireless. But, the batteries last 6 months before they need a charge, and they charge in about 6 hours. I have them set to record a 20-second video when motion is sensed. You can change that duration and motion sensitivity and get longer/shorter battery life.

https://us.eufy.com/
Actually looking at this option as its wired: Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro https://us.eufy.com/collections/smar...products/t8423
Interesting this records video locally - so no cloud service / ongoing payments required. How do you access the video/photos when not on the local wifi? is it possible to access remotely? this is key for me thx
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:27 pm

You could also check out Wyze camera. They have wireless and wired versions. The battery version only last like 4 months but they do offer solar panel addition. The quality of the video is good and you don't have to pay monthly sub. And the cameras are really cheap. I still have the v1 of the original Wyze working great even though I have professionally installed cameras now.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Actually looking at this option as its wired: Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro https://us.eufy.com/collections/smar...products/t8423
Interesting this records video locally - so no cloud service / ongoing payments required. How do you access the video/photos when not on the local wifi? is it possible to access remotely? this is key for me thx
All of the devices connect over the home’s WiFi network to the “Home Base” which has the storage. I have 4 cameras on mine and I have at least a year’s worth of video stored. The system overwrites the oldest videos when the storage fills up.

I access the video via iOS app or through their webpage. The iOS app works over any WiFi or cellular network. From the app, I can talk back through the cameras, activate a loud alarm, etc. My wife has the same app on her phone and can see the same videos, receive the same notifications, etc. Very easy to share access amongst others.

I get push notifications to my phone anytime the cameras sense motion and start recording. From the app, I can download videos and photos to my device and share them as needed.

Their tech support has been very helpful on the rare occasion I’ve had to reach out.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Eufy cameras, TP Kasa/Tapa cameras, and Asus ZenEye are retail security camera products which are sold in the UK and other European markets with a “local” storage option that works to provide online alerts even without use of any paid subscription plans. And remote access to the “locally” stored videos is done via the internet. The TP cameras store locally on MicroSDs in the individual cameras, so if someone swipes the camera or memory card, there goes any footage that wasn’t already recorded/downloaded on another device that remains accessible to the security camera owners/users.

Ring Pro also has a local storage option, but Ring is hooked to hooking customers with subscription fees.

Having a separate motion-detection driven floodlight — which doesn’t require an internet or intranet option of its own — may have its place even in conjunction with an online security camera.

The more sensitive the motion detection, the more you may wish you had a hardwired electric connection. There can be an upside to the battery cameras with a solar panel recharge; but when the power or the connection for the internet or intranet drops, the video capture goes down with it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 9, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the continued insight.
I like the idea of non-subscription camera services (I too like to keep subscriptions to a minimum) however I'm leaning towards the subscription service as this is for a vacation home which we sometimes rent out - if someone steals the camera and/or its homebase then the video evidence is gone. Rather it be in the cloud. Furthermore, as the home isn't always owner occupied, the homebase could also be stolen. Unless it's easy to have the content auto sync with a Dropbox or something similar?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:54 am
Suspended

The local storage camera providers mentioned in my earlier post also provide for a cloud storage option under a subscription plan — at least in some countries. If having access to a US bank card and billing address for payment, it can work elsewhere too.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you - I see it now - specified here https://support.eufylife.com/s/artic...C-2-Pro-2C-Pro
OK, looks like the Eufy is in the lead. Aesthetically it doesn't look so great (kind of will be an eyesore especially mounted at the front of the house) but believe quality/picture wise this is the best one that is wired and more like a set-it-and-forget-it setup. any others to consider?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:35 pm

I use the EZViz line of cameras, and link them to a Mac running Sighthound (also available for Windows) via RTSP ... basically, a home based cloud system .... full motion detection, clips saved for detection. Each camera (I've got about 20 at home and at my chalet) also has a memory card recording clips. To top it off, redundancy happens via software (free) from https://kerberos.io .... on a relatively modest Linux system.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I used to be a big fan of Hikvision cameras and have one of their NVRs, but ever since China passed the security law (2015ish) where Chinese manufacturers have to provide their source code to the gov't, I won't buy them. I specifically went with them because I preferred to keep everything onsite, but times they are a changing. I put all the HIkvision stuff I still have on a VLAN with no internet access. It sucks, because their cameras were unbeatable for the price.

For now, we have a few Ring cams and I just have to tolerate that the stuff is stored in the cloud. What I really don't like is that they (and most other customer cams) only record on motion. With my old "recording all the time" hikvision cameras I was able to capture a hit and run on the street in front of my old house, even though it wasn't in my motion zone.

Our network HW is all Ubiquity, and their cameras look nice, but they are super expensive, and most are completely out of stock. I may try them next. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has tried them.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I used to be a big fan of Hikvision cameras and have one of their NVRs, but ever since China passed the security law (2015ish) where Chinese manufacturers have to provide their source code to the gov't, I won't buy them. I specifically went with them because I preferred to keep everything onsite, but times they are a changing. I put all the HIkvision stuff I still have on a VLAN with no internet access. It sucks, because their cameras were unbeatable for the price.

For now, we have a few Ring cams and I just have to tolerate that the stuff is stored in the cloud. What I really don't like is that they (and most other customer cams) only record on motion. With my old "recording all the time" hikvision cameras I was able to capture a hit and run on the street in front of my old house, even though it wasn't in my motion zone.

Our network HW is all Ubiquity, and their cameras look nice, but they are super expensive, and most are completely out of stock. I may try them next. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has tried them.
I've used Hikvision in several of my facilities and echo all of your comments. Stopped using them a few years ago.

We've switched to Optiview and have been pleased. My IT department doesn't have any immediate concerns.

https://optiviewusa.com/
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HDQDD

Doesn’t RIng still record “Live View”? Not a general replacement to 24/7 recording, but between motion-detection-triggered recording and Live View recording, maybe that could work.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My Arlo cameras record video on the free version. I've been very pleased with battery life - generally, 6-9 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.