Wiki Posts
Search

Captive portal problem with fire stick

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Captive portal problem with fire stick

I work as a contractor on cruise ships. Each week I travel to a different port and work on a different ship. I've been trying to get my firestick to work on the tv in my cabin, but I keep running into the same problem. My firestick doesn't seem to be able to work with the captive portal. I can to go networks and select the correct WiFi, but that's it. Nothing ever pops up for me to enter my login credentials. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a workaround for this? Or is there something else I could buy to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:51 pm

I have Silk installed on my Firestick for the hotel login information required by the captive portal. Room number, name if required. Then the Firestick connects

Last edited by TGarza; Jul 10, 2022 at 1:55 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa

I have silk installed as well... but when I navigate to the app, this is all I get. None of these options get me to a place where I can navigate to the ships login page.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:04 pm

You might try the Amazon forum .com which has staff answering questions. The browser has always launched for me to enter the information.

Below is from the Amazon forum. My Firestick has the browser installed. Sounds like the browser isn’t installed by default.

Fire TV Stick does not have a dedicated web browser, but they do have a hidden app (CaptivePortalLauncher) that will open a web page to access a captive portal. This app will open a browser window only during Wi-Fi sign in.
  1. From the Home screen, select Settings> System > Wi-Fi.
  2. Under Available Networks, select the public Wi-Fi network. For networks that require a web page to log in, a browser window will pop up after several seconds.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to use your Amazon remote to select text fields or enter cursor mode to select a button. An on-screen keyboard will open for text fields.
  4. Enter in the required information. This could be a pre shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. Contact the network owner for more information
  5. After your device connects to the network, the browser window closes automatically.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yeah, FWIW I use my FS in different hotels all over the place and the built-in Captive Portal Browser comes up each time. OP, have you ensured you've downloaded all the latest updates?
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:02 pm

I've started seeing issues with captive portal on my fire TV as well, specifically at Hilton properties.

The web browser launches when I try to connect, but I immediately get redirected to a 404 not found page.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:12 pm

One thing I used to do before the FS's captive portal browser was as complete as it was now was to install a browser (back in the day, it was Firefox, but as that's no longer supported I guess the Silk browser should do), then have bookmark for neverssl.com ; bringing that up should then redirect to the login page.
TGarza and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
I've started seeing issues with captive portal on my fire TV as well, specifically at Hilton properties.

The web browser launches when I try to connect, but I immediately get redirected to a 404 not found page.
For any future searchers, wound up factory resetting my Fire TV and this issue stopped.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
For any future searchers, wound up factory resetting my Fire TV and this issue stopped.
FWIW, a full reset probably wasn't necessary; if this happens to anyone else, try going into Settings->Applications->Manage Apps->Silk Browser (or "Internet") then "Force Stop", "Clear Cache", "Clear Data", then "Launch Application" then try going to NeverSSL - Connecting ... .
TGarza and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:28 pm

I always carry a travel router in my laptop bag, which makes this whole process much easier. I have all of my devices paired to the travel router and use the router to connect to the hotel/client/ship/plane's WiFi. I handle the captive portal on my phone or laptop ONCE(!) and then all of my devices automatically start working.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
I have all of my devices paired to the travel router and use the router to connect to the hotel/client/ship/plane's WiFi.
This.

I carry a GL-iNet device with me (have several models, actually, that I use depending on situation) and I log into the hotel's WiFi once, then all my devices automatically have internet. I'll bet it's the same at other chains, but Marriott's WiFi system remembers your MAC (when you have to authenticate with Name/Room) and automatically (or with one click) logs me into their WiFi since it's already got my router's MAC from before.

GL-iNet also makes a portable USB-based router (USB-150, which sadly isn't available any longer, but they have other small devices) that I bring on planes and get WiFi on all my devices (laptop, phones, tablet) from one connection as well.

See this helpful thread, too.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
I always carry a travel router in my laptop bag, which makes this whole process much easier. I have all of my devices paired to the travel router and use the router to connect to the hotel/client/ship/plane's WiFi. I handle the captive portal on my phone or laptop ONCE(!) and then all of my devices automatically start working.
what travel router do you use?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 8:28 am

I always have a
GL-iNet Mango GL-iNet Mango
and
GL-iNet Slate GL-iNet Slate
in my bag. The key difference between the two is the Mango is 2.4GHz only and has a slower processor whereas the Slate has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz and a much faster processor. I see Amazon's not carrying the Slate anymore, but they have the
GL-iNet Opal GL-iNet Opal
, which looks pretty good. Gives you 5GHz for not much more $ than the Mango. The price and performance goes up from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.