Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ESIM roaming and connecting one line via the other

ESIM roaming and connecting one line via the other

Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by bukzin
Regarding that TMobile plan, is it available in both a SIM card and Esim? Is it a standard plan or a add-on to a existing plan?

What is it’s official name? Thx
If you are referring to the plan with the free, 5Gb data high speed roaming, there are several. The top of the line is Magenta Max, also the most expensive of course. Magenta MAX Military and MAX First Responder have identical features at a lower price. Then the Magenta, and Magenta Military and First Responder still get the 5Gb HS roaming data, but only 4 flights a year for unlimited WiFi connectivity. Numerous grandfathered plans get the 5Gb HS free data roaming with the 4 free flight perk also. Some of those may have the a "ONE Plus" add on which will add the data features for a fee.

They all are standard plans and you can use either a sim card or esim interchangeably.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
But setting my email address as the conversation starter won’t help when people in the US (or elsewhere) text me by texting my number.
Yes, I did note that, but you have to start the transition at some point, IMO, or you can never get there. So it is intended to help in the longer term, but best practice., IMO.

-David
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, I did note that, but you have to start the transition at some point, IMO, or you can never get there. So it is intended to help in the longer term, but best practice., IMO.

-David
My point is that it's not a best practice because anyone who thinks to "text Gfunk" will type in my phone number and not my email address. It would be fine for people who are replying to an existing conversation but not for people starting a new one.
LIH Prem and TGarza like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
My point is that it's not a best practice because anyone who thinks to "text Gfunk" will type in my phone number and not my email address. It would be fine for people who are replying to an existing conversation but not for people starting a new one.
Sure. To your point, it's possible anybody within a conversation already using the iMessage protocol might fail to send and offer to switch to SMS. So yeah, there's always that. But at least the sender will see the failure. (with the t-mo digits app, you'll get SMS inside that app as well, if they are sent as SMS).

For me, it's still what I consider a good idea to use your Apple ID to initiate new conversations in the Messages app, but I certainly concede that's not necessarily going to solve every problem for you if you can't keep your main number active without paying for a data pass with your carrier. At least with the dual SIM and my carrier I really have no use for the virtual number app anymore since I don't seem to have that data pass problem. I can just keep both lines active without worrying about paying for extra data.

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.