FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   T-Mobile Releases Free Upgrades to Current Plans (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2083361-t-mobile-releases-free-upgrades-current-plans.html)

draver Jun 16, 2022 5:20 pm

T-Mobile Releases Free Upgrades to Current Plans

T-Mobile made an "Uncarrier" announcement today at 7AM PST with several roaming perks depending upon a users' current plan level. It seems somewhat unclear exactly which plans get what upgrades. The highest level, most expensive plan Magenta Max, is getting 5Gb of free, high speed international data roaming in 210 countries, an AAA club membership for one year, and a few other features included. There are several threads on Reddit that are discussing what plan levels get what added features. T-Mobile needs to post a definitive list of exactly what is being awarded to exactly what current plans out there. A lot of speculation, so I'm not putting out any more details until I see it in black & white from an official press release. If you have a plan though, odds are that you will get some or all of the upgrades for cellular service while traveling.

tmiw Jun 16, 2022 10:39 pm

I suspect 5GB isn't going to go far with today's data usage but still, it's good enough to at least get somewhere with Wi-Fi (or a place where you can get a local SIM card) after you land. :tu:

What I'm more interested in is the in-flight Wi-Fi benefit. If it's usable on some of the newer Wi-Fi services (e.g. ViaSat) that would be pretty big depending on what airlines one flies.

EDIT: per their site it seems some/most AS, DL and AA flights will be supported to start.

Need Jun 18, 2022 8:26 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 34343419)
I suspect 5GB isn't going to go far with today's data usage but still, it's good enough to at least get somewhere with Wi-Fi (or a place where you can get a local SIM card) after you land. :tu:

5GB may not last a month, but if you are only on travel for 1 or 2 weeks a month, it should be plenty. I was thinking about switching back to Google Fi with their new $40 per line plan once we start to travel out of country again but now I may just upgrade my T-Mobile plan to Mag Max.

draver Jun 18, 2022 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 34347022)
5GB may not last a month, but if you are only on travel for 1 or 2 weeks a month, it should be plenty. I was thinking about switching back to Google Fi with their new $40 per line plan once we start to travel out of country again but now I may just upgrade my T-Mobile plan to Mag Max.

It is still unknown if the 5Gb free, high speed data month is per billing period, or a calendar month. The billing period would be preferable of course. Then, you could possibly get two 5Gb awards if your billing cycle ended while still overseas and your trip continued into the next cycle.

Reports are trickling in that a few international users with the ONE Plus Promo are experiencing the high speed upgrade without having the Magenta Max plan. And that T-Force customer service support has advised on Twitter that it IS included on ONE plans with the + Promo. I'd like to see it in writing on my personal account manager as a current feature on the + Promo. Unfortunately, that has traditionally been VERY slow to upgrade any plan changes. As in, it can take months for new features to show up on my on line account even if they are in effect.

Need Jun 18, 2022 9:28 am

Originally Posted by draver (Post 34347074)
It is still unknown if the 5Gb free, high speed data month is per billing period, or a calendar month. The billing period would be preferable of course. Then, you could possibly get two 5Gb awards if your billing cycle ended while still overseas and your trip continued into the next cycle.

Reports are trickling in that a few international users with the ONE Plus Promo are experiencing the high speed upgrade without having the Magenta Max plan. And that T-Force customer service support has advised on Twitter that it IS included on ONE plans with the + Promo. I'd like to see it in writing on my personal account manager as a current feature on the + Promo. Unfortunately, that has traditionally been VERY slow to upgrade any plan changes. As in, it can take months for new features to show up on my on line account even if they are in effect.

Well I really have no international travel plan this year, so I could just wait and see. Currently I have a One Plus plan too. I haven't upgraded to Mag Max because it is basically the same feature as One Plus just costing more. However, pretty much all the current phone upgrade promotion requires Mag Max to get the best pricing.

draver Jun 18, 2022 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 34347172)
Well I really have no international travel plan this year, so I could just wait and see. Currently I have a One Plus plan too. I haven't upgraded to Mag Max because it is basically the same feature as One Plus just costing more. However, pretty much all the current phone upgrade promotion requires Mag Max to get the best pricing.

your ONE Plus plan is supposed to be getting the 5Gb high speed international data upgrade included. This has been discussed on Reddit at some length and I believe it was even mentioned in the announcement on the 16th from T-Mobile.

draver Jun 19, 2022 9:54 am

Between my wife and I, we have 7 T-Mobile voice lines. (4 Free) Each gets ONE Plus Promo for international roaming data, currently at 256kbps. The new “Uncarrier” award supposedly will apply to all of them for the 5Gb a month high speed data roaming beginning June 21st. I contacted T-Force this morning on Twitter, and was told that the 1+ Promo feature is included in the 5Gb upgrade. I won’t be able to test it personally until late August. I will be in the Bahamas for a few days, so that will be the real test since it has always been a little tricky there for free data while roaming. This could be the best promotion they have done yet.

Need Jun 19, 2022 10:03 am

So I am reading the promo now on T-Mobile site, and it said
"Up to 5GB high-speed data in select Central European countries; otherwise, standard speeds approximately 256 Kbps"

So only Central European countries? Other parts of the world are not included with the 5GB? Looks like Magenta Max gets the 210 countries but all other plans get 11 European countries. So would One Plus get 11 or 210?

draver Jun 19, 2022 11:09 am

I believe ONE Plus is included in the 210 country free 5Gb data roaming. I will post anything I discover that actually is from T-Mobile regarding what current plans get the upgrade. I think I have seen a laundry list of several current plans being included.

nerd Jun 19, 2022 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by draver (Post 34347074)

Is anything ever based on a calendar month rather than your billing month?

draver Jun 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 34350417)

I asked the same question on Reddit and have not gotten a reply or any comments on it yet.

Need:
I did fiind this post on Reddit from today regarding ONE Plus "I have the $10 One Plus add on. I just arrived in London & I got full speed data. My welcome text message said I would get 256 but it’s full speed"

So, fingers crossed...

draver Jun 20, 2022 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 34349643)
So I am reading the promo now on T-Mobile site, and it said
"Up to 5GB high-speed data in select Central European countries; otherwise, standard speeds approximately 256 Kbps"

So only Central European countries? Other parts of the world are not included with the 5GB? Looks like Magenta Max gets the 210 countries but all other plans get 11 European countries. So would One Plus get 11 or 210?

I saw ONE Plus mentioned under the 5Gb upgrade in a FAQ on the T-Mobile website, so it looks like you get the upgrade. I hope this link works. Click the "

What T-Mobile plans qualify for international roaming benefits?

TM International Plans FAQ

TGarza Jun 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 34350417)

Probably not calendar month but billing month is not the only option for international data passes which are sold by the day, 10 days and 30 days.

Need Jun 20, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by draver (Post 34352043)
I saw ONE Plus mentioned under the 5Gb upgrade in a FAQ on the T-Mobile website, so it looks like you get the upgrade. I hope this link works. Click the "

What T-Mobile plans qualify for international roaming benefits?

TM International Plans FAQ

Yeah I see it now. Thanks. I should get the 210+ countries one.

draver Jun 21, 2022 8:36 am

Currently my 1+ Promo from 2017 now shows the Simple Global with "Up To 5Gb of High Speed Data" on my account. If I click through on that heading, it reverts back to the 256kbps in 210 countries however. I suspect they have not revised that entry yet, or it relates to service after 5Gb is depleted. It also shows the AAA yearly free promo and T-Mobile Travel heading. It appears I also get the 4 full flight unlimited streaming sessions a year, and 1 hour per flight thereafter. These features were announced along with the recent MAX plan upgrades.

This is encouraging in that it lends credence to the rumors that ONE Plus, & ONE Plus Promo are getting the free, 5Gb high speed international roaming in 210 countries. If so, then I suspect Airalo, Flexiroam, KnowRoaming, etc. are going to take a hit on data sales. I hope they stay in business for supplemental data as needed though.

I imagine T-Mobile will get a decent amount of travelers switching from other carriers for the roaming service.