Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Releases Free Upgrades to Current Plans

T-Mobile Releases Free Upgrades to Current Plans

Old Jun 21, 22, 10:42 am

I see it too! I wonder how AAA works. I am already AAA member and it is not up for renewal until Jan 2023. Also I see Simple Global for calling @ $0.25/min in 210+ country too. I don't think we have that before. A quarter per min is not the best rate but better than $4/min.
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Need View Post
... Also I see Simple Global for calling @ $0.25/min in 210+ country too. I don't think we have that before. A quarter per min is not the best rate but better than $4/min.
I'm on an old Simple Choice Family plan (5 lines/$90) so I won't be (voluntarily ) upgrading but it has had the 25cents/min for call for years (I think since the free 2G international data started)

I have a German SIM I've been keeping alive and on my recent two week trip to Prague and Amsterdam I bought a 12GB EU data package (€20) and I ended up using only a couple of GB -- the hotel WiFi was rock solid and just about every place I visited had WiFi. I don't regret the purchase -- I viewed it as insurance in case the hotel WiFi was crap.

This was a physical SIM in my iPhone 12 where I my regular T-Mobile is an eSIM. Worked well, I received calls and texts on my US number (including one from my brother at 2AM when he forgot where I was )

Unfortunately the data (and calls) are EU only so UK is no longer included and I'll probably have to buy another SIM if my trip to London happens.
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:31 pm

I went to https://promotions.t-mobile.com/AAA and register as existing AAA member. It said I will get $60 credit at my next renewal. I guess I will find out come next January. Free $60 is great!
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Looks like the Magenta Military plan is getting upgraded to 256K roaming which is slow but useable from reddit and other posts. 128K seemed pretty dreadful. This will prove very useful for a family trip we are all taking to Europe this summer. It'll allow us all to stay in touch via iMessage and to use Google Maps/nav.

While VZW and ATT are finding ways to raise rates for everyone, TMO is giving us some additional benefits. Hope they keep pricing down.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jun 23, 22 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:22 am

It's a very exciting development, but I'm not happy that there are reports that TMO disconnect users who roam heavily on their plans. The fine print even says primary usage have to be in the US. So I guess my question is this. If I have multiple users on a TMO plan, and I'm the only Magenta Max user to be "primarily" using my plan outside the US, will TMO disable just my line or cancel the entire account for excessive roaming? I don't know what TMO's definition is like, but what happens if 51% of my usage is outside the US? Other than that, the plan looks really compelling, especially if one travels on long-haul a lot. Wifi helps kill time and do some work especially on a flight like SFO-SIN.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
Looks like the Magenta Military plan is getting upgraded to 256K roaming which is slow but useable from reddit and other posts. 128K seemed pretty dreadful. This will prove very useful for a family trip we are all taking to Europe this summer. It'll allow us all to stay in touch via iMessage and to use Google Maps/nav.

While VZW and ATT are finding ways to raise rates for everyone, TMO is giving us some additional benefits. Hope they keep pricing down.
I don't know where you're going in Europe, but prepaid is really cheap. I just came back from Europe and I rather buy a prepaid than roam at 256k. TMO's advantage is convenience as you won't have to find a store to buy a prepaid card. It'll just work when you land in Europe.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:55 am
Original Poster

The simple solution to your concern about excess data roaming is to just download a few movies or other data heavy services prior to your trip during the billing cycle. This is usually a good plan anyway for flights or slow hotel WiFi. You are entitled to 5 Gb of free, high speed data so download 6+ Gb on your line while at home to avoid any conflict. You will then be exempt from the “51% Rule”, and in full compliance. From what I have heard, they don’t take any action for a few months of the data imbalance anyway.

I have mentioned that I have several vacant lines, so I can just switch to a different sim when the free 5Gb is depleted. This will also work for the excess roaming issue.
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by draver View Post
The simple solution to your concern about excess data roaming is to just download a few movies or other data heavy services prior to your trip during the billing cycle. This is usually a good plan anyway for flights or slow hotel WiFi. You are entitled to 5 Gb of free, high speed data so download 6+ Gb on your line while at home to avoid any conflict. You will then be exempt from the “51% Rule”, and in full compliance. From what I have heard, they don’t take any action for a few months of the data imbalance anyway.

I have mentioned that I have several vacant lines, so I can just switch to a different sim when the free 5Gb is depleted. This will also work for the excess roaming issue.
Does TMO even send out any notifications either via letter or email about excessive roaming before disconnection?

Also, my understanding is that the 5GB is only for certain Central European countries at the moment. The real benefit to me is the unlimited in-flight wifi on all the major US carriers. Imagine not having to pay for long-haul wifi ever again on AA, DL, and UA. That would be awesome. UA charges $49.99/month for their monthly global wifi package. I think AA charges on a per segment basis so this will save people lots of money!
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I seem to recall the notice for excess roaming is via Text Message, but it could be email. Hearsay since I have never been warned.

The 5 Gb high speed data award country count depends on the plan of the user. I don't have the specifics at hand, but basically some get 210 countries, some only 11. It seems to be that the higher priced, newer ones get the 210. Older, less expensive were also included with 11 European countries only. The same with the flight WiFi packages. 4 flights per year for older, cheaper plans and free unlimited WiFi, no flight limit for newer, more expensive plans.

My older ONE Plan only gets the lower level 4 flight perk, but since I have an add on feature, (ONE Plus Promo, Grandfathered Promotion) I get the 5Gb data on all my lines. I gotta say, they have treated me pretty good since around 2015 or so when I first hooked up with them mostly for the international roaming service. I get good T-Mobile service just about everywhere I go normally and their customer service has always treated me fairly.
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:24 am

I seem to recall the notice for excess roaming is via Text Message, but it could be email. Hearsay since I have never been warned.

The 5 Gb high speed data award country count depends on the plan of the user. I don't have the specifics at hand, but basically some get 210 countries, some only 11. It seems to be that the higher priced, newer ones get the 210. Older, less expensive were also included with 11 European countries only. The same with the flight WiFi packages. 4 flights per year for older, cheaper plans and free unlimited WiFi, no flight limit for newer, more expensive plans.

My older ONE Plan only gets the lower level 4 flight perk, but since I have an add on feature, (ONE Plus Promo, Grandfathered Promotion) I get the 5Gb data on all my lines. I gotta say, they have treated me pretty good since around 2015 or so when I first hooked up with them mostly for the international roaming service. I get good T-Mobile service just about everywhere I go normally and their customer service has always treated me fairly.
I'm mainly interested in the TMO Magenta Max plan. Where does it say 5GB is for all 210 countries? I thought it only said for 11 Central European countries to start.
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:25 am
Original Poster

That is posted prominently on the T-Mobile website. Here is a copy & paste from there:

Roaming with T-Mobile

• MAX and Plus plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in more than 210 countries and destinations at no extra charge. Magenta, ONE, and Simple Choice plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in 11 European countries (Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, and Greece) at no extra charge
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I suspect 5GB isn't going to go far with today's data usage but still, it's good enough to at least get somewhere with Wi-Fi (or a place where you can get a local SIM card) after you land.

What I'm more interested in is the in-flight Wi-Fi benefit. If it's usable on some of the newer Wi-Fi services (e.g. ViaSat) that would be pretty big depending on what airlines one flies.

EDIT: per their site it seems some/most AS, DL and AA flights will be supported to start.
UA to follow
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:49 pm

Yes it is thru Text. There was no email. Each line that exceed the limit gets the warning TXT. I switched to T-Mobile back in 2018 November with 5 lines. In 2019 January, 2 of the 5 lines went to Europe for 3 weeks. Those 2 lines got the warning TXT. Nothing happened after that. No one went out of the country again.. then Covid hits.
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
It is still unknown if the 5Gb free, high speed data month is per billing period, or a calendar month. The billing period would be preferable of course. Then, you could possibly get two 5Gb awards if your billing cycle ended while still overseas and your trip continued into the next cycle.

Reports are trickling in that a few international users with the ONE Plus Promo are experiencing the high speed upgrade without having the Magenta Max plan. And that T-Force customer service support has advised on Twitter that it IS included on ONE plans with the + Promo. I'd like to see it in writing on my personal account manager as a current feature on the + Promo. Unfortunately, that has traditionally been VERY slow to upgrade any plan changes. As in, it can take months for new features to show up on my on line account even if they are in effect.
What is the +Promo? I’m on the One Plan 55 Unlimited plan

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 26, 22 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 26, 22, 1:11 pm

Original Press Release

This is the original press release from T Mobile. Very informative:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/coveragebeyond

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 26, 22 at 2:04 pm

Search this Thread