portable keyboard anyone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat

I just can't type on those on-screen keyboards that phone and tablets have. I don't want to haul my MacBook with on vacation along with the phone and tablet. Has anyone used a Bluetooth portable keyboard to attach to your phone or tablet? It would make my journalling so much easier than my hunt/peck/hit the wrong key method. I barely have enough patience for a text...
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slidergirl
[...] Has anyone used a Bluetooth portable keyboard to attach to your phone or tablet? [...]
At an exorbitant cost in both money and weight, Apple offers an external keyboard for the iPad. Aside from the money and weight issues, I think it's great. (I used to have a non-Apple keyboard for an iPad. It was both cheaper and lighter than the Apple product, and it had a Home button, which the Apple product does not. The feel of the Apple product is better, in my subjective opinion.)
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve bought a couple of aftermarket ipad keyboards on Amazon. $30-40 each. They work fine. One has a backlit keyboard. Both are part of the ipad case.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:18 pm

I have an Amazon brand bluetooth keyboard that I think I paid $15 for sometime around 2017, specifically for the purpose of writing longer e-mails on my work phone without having to drag a laptop around.

Not as nice as having a real laptop, but way better than the on-screen keyboard. It looks like they don't make the one I have anymore, but there are plenty on Amazon for $20 and under.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:14 pm

There are plenty of bluetooth keyboards out there, but I'd focus on the specs. Are you looking for a full keyboard? Or 60%? Or even one of those joystick keyboards (ala Blackberry) Or somewhere in between? It might sounds like a silly question, but it actually does matter. I find I'm good up to a 60% keyboard before my fingers start to cramp.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Koweit, Continental, Delta, (AA UA, USAir, BA)
i had an amazingly convenient keyboard made,I think, by Logitech. it was full size and had two useful features,. Firstly, it had a cut in it for putting the ipad in. That gave it the appearance and functionality of a laptop.

secondly, it had a magnet hinge along one edge which clung very effectively to the edge of the iPad, giving the impression/feeling of a one-piece unit.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DManzaluni
i had an amazingly convenient keyboard made,I think, by Logitech. it was full size and had two useful features,. Firstly, it had a cut in it for putting the ipad in. That gave it the appearance and functionality of a laptop.

secondly, it had a magnet hinge along one edge which clung very effectively to the edge of the iPad, giving the impression/feeling of a one-piece unit.
I think I know which one you're thinking of. If it is, personally, I didn't really like it. The slot space didn't take into account cases or bumpers so it never fit any tablet properly without pulling any protection from the tablet.

If it isn't that one (yellow and dark grey), then it was likely something like the K750 which was a wireless USB keyboard.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: United, AA, Delta, SW
Logitech Keyboards

Originally Posted by DManzaluni

I will second that recommendation. The slot was a cool feature. Very thin and lightweight, about the dimensions of the iPad itself.
Usable with any device with Bluetooth, so your phone would work.. I have had excellent luck with Logitech products.

I paid $100 years ago, think the price has dropped since. They make a multidevice keyboard that is only $35, but I have not seen it in person.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:34 pm

I'm assuming this is the one being talked about:

https://www.staples.ca/products/1278...keyboard-black
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I have an Amazon brand bluetooth keyboard that I think I paid $15 for sometime around 2017, specifically for the purpose of writing longer e-mails on my work phone without having to drag a laptop around.

Not as nice as having a real laptop, but way better than the on-screen keyboard. It looks like they don't make the one I have anymore, but there are plenty on Amazon for $20 and under.
So, you used it with your phone and not a tablet? That is what I really want to do - all my photos will be on my phone and i really don't want to have to up load to my cloud at a moment's notice just to write to friends or journal.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
So, you used it with your phone and not a tablet? That is what I really want to do - all my photos will be on my phone and i really don't want to have to up load to my cloud at a moment's notice just to write to friends or journal.
Yep, it's a standalone 60% (ish) size keyboard. No tablet or phone holder, just a keyboard. I set it and the phone on a desk or table and type out my e-mail, then throw the keyboard back in my bag. It's definitely not as good as a tablet/keyboard combo or a laptop, but when you want to write a 150-word e-mail it's way better than trying to type it on a phone keyboard--particularly since I was using the original iPhone SE when I got it.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have an old, foldable ThinkOutside Bluetooth keypad. It still works well enough with the iPhone/iPad/etc.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:48 am

I recently got this folding Bluetooth keyboard as I didn’t want to bring my work laptop on holiday but, knew I might be dragged into some work.

Amazon Amazon

I only used it once so far, it’s pretty robust, folds down reasonably small but it isn’t full sized and would take a bit of time to be able to get comfortable to type at length at any speed.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Yep, it's a standalone 60% (ish) size keyboard. No tablet or phone holder, just a keyboard. I set it and the phone on a desk or table and type out my e-mail, then throw the keyboard back in my bag. It's definitely not as good as a tablet/keyboard combo or a laptop, but when you want to write a 150-word e-mail it's way better than trying to type it on a phone keyboard--particularly since I was using the original iPhone SE when I got it.
I still have the original SE!!! Will be finally upgrading to a 13 Pro within the month. My want for a keyboard is just like what you said; I can't even type out a little msg on my SE!!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I bought
this one this one
on Amazon and had good luck with it.

Back in the day I had a really nice folding keyboard from Microsoft but it finally gave up the ghost after many years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.