Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Home Routers -- what's everyone using these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any recommendations for home routers?

So I'm at a family member's house and their TP-Link Archer C7 died. I temporarily put one of my GL-Inet AR750S Slate travel routers in to hold them over. If it were my place it'd be a PFSense firewall w/Ubiquiti APs, but that's outside of the scope and budget of here. I haven't looked at consumer routers in over a decade and have no idea what's good / bad / ugly these days.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:30 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Asus.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

We use an Orbi mesh......the best system we have ever had.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Asus RT-AX3000. WiFi 6 and kept up with my wife and I both working from home and both of our kids doing school from home. Also able to be used in a mesh set up if required.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:42 am

Currently using an Asus XT8 mesh. My devices occasionally have an issue handing off between access points, but for the most part, pretty happy with it.
u600213 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Always Asus, currently AX6000.

I don’t understand the current obsession with wireless mesh networks. Sure there’s the convenience of not having to run a wire to a second AP if you’ve got a large space to cover, but with wireless backhaul you bleed away speed.
gfunkdave and z28lt1 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Always Asus, currently AX6000.

I don’t understand the current obsession with wireless mesh networks. Sure there’s the convenience of not having to run a wire to a second AP if you’ve got a large space to cover, but with wireless backhaul you bleed away speed.
It depends on what you're using it for. I was curious about mesh so for me, it was just an experiment. But barring any large file transfers, it's rare that you're going to need the full bandwidth (assuming your bandwidth is large enough). Youtube videos should buffer ahead unless you're watching a live stream. Zoom/Teams/webex videos are already compressed so you don't need THAT much speed..

For home-use stuff, I'm satisfied. If it's something critical, I'll jump back onto a wired network.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:00 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Currently the Orbi 853 mesh but I’ve been looking more and more at the eero pro, and will probably make that switch once they launch a wireless 6e router
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine with 2xU6-LR Access Points (though at some point I plan to swap to the rackmounted Dream Machine Pro/SE). Definitely not cheap, but the performance is flawless despite what all the naysayers online might be spouting.

The new Unifi Dream Router is actually pretty good value for money, $80 or so.
KRSW, bchandler02 and HDQDD like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:31 pm

linksys ac5000 mu-mimo gigabit router

Bought it because it has eight Ethernet ports instead of the standard four. Running a second, smaller Linksys router off one of those ports (a Linksys EA7500-RM2) so my son has his own network. All that on a Gigabit line from a local ISP. Couldn't be happier.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Another Orbi mesh user. Big thumbs up.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I like the Unifi Dream Machine, and I've used it in a couple of business setups.

At home I have the Synology 2600. I've used it to replace the Centurylink fiber 'modem', so now it's just a one-box installation. Added bonus, it has a built-in VPN host, so if I need a US IP address while I'm traveling, I can connect fairly easily, and no VPN client software install is necessary.

That's probably overkill for relatives who just need wifi, but... it also has remote login capability for troubleshooting (and other) purposes, and platform-agnostic fileserver capability, remotely accessible.

Come to think of it, that 2600 replaced an Archer C7 that died.
KRSW and seigex like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:13 pm

We need a new router, ours is great, but 5 years old and outdated. What should one expect to pay? I looked at the AX6000 someone recommended and it is nearly $300 with tax in the US. Is that what these things cost?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Yet another Orbi user here. It just works and we no longer have dead spots in our house although we’re wired between the APs. (no need to ridicule me for having wired backhaul and still using Orbi, they were a great deal at Costco and as I said earlier they just work)
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:52 pm

Another happy Orbi mesh user.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.