Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Home Routers -- what's everyone using these days?

Home Routers -- what's everyone using these days?

Old Jun 14, 22, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I moved over to Linksys EA9500 and while I like the router, they were not reliable at all. Had 2 completely die (replaced under warranty) and the third required a reboot couple of times a week
I have the same router and it typically will reboot 3-4 times a day on its own.
Old Jun 14, 22, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am finding that an eero 6 router unit is better with signal strength across distances at covering a home than an ASUS XT8 unit. Whether or not to take at face value company marketing language about a unit/system covering up to ____ square feet, it can be worth it to play around while keeping in mind return/refund policies.
Old Jun 14, 22, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
My Asus RT-56(?) router has been giving problems for a couple of years. Replaced it with a couple of cheap Huawei AX3 wi-fi6 meshable routers. Low price of~ C$100 helped.
Old Jun 15, 22, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
Their anxiety is that replacing their existing legacy phone solution (which is entirely managed by the telco) will require expensive hardware to have the same level of resiliency that their Centrex solution has. You can buy a used enterprise grade PoE switch for practically nothing, VOIP phones aren't necessarily expensive but I have no informed opinion about traditional routers in this space. I have been using pfSense forever.
PFSense all the way, baby! Most of my PFSense setups are multi-WAN (failover) with multiple carriers at each location and have a few running high-availability (multiple PFSense systems in one rack for redundancy). All of mine are running on enterprise-grade server hardware. Hardware failures can happen, but old enterprise gear is pretty rugged stuff.

If they want managed phones, there's a boatload of hosted VOIP PBX providers out there. Do your research on them. Not all of them are good. I've set some clients up with them over the years and they serve the purpose.

Search this Thread