Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Home Routers -- what's everyone using these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home Routers -- what's everyone using these days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:25 pm

I moved from standard consumer wireless routers to flashing OpenWRT on those routers to pfSense and Omada APs. My most recent upgrade was from Omada to used Ruckus Wireless APs running Unleashed firmware and it has been awesome.

I do wired backhaul but got a friend some Ruckus units and he is happy doing wireless backhaul.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:15 am

About 6 months in the pandemic, I replaced a Securifi Almond+ with an ASUS RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware; it's been rock solid and provides a good balance in features. Prior to the Almond+, I had been through a series of LinkSys WRT-54Gs and a TP-Link, all running various open-source firmware replacements dating back to the early 2000s.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I was an avid Netgear user until I purchased the (at the time) top of the line/most expensive consumer router. Netgear quickly abandoned support for it and bug/security fixes that were published would hit all the lesser models, and take a very long time to get to the one I purchased (if at all). They released a slightly scaled down version that they sold at Costco and seemed to throw all the resources at that one, while ignoring the more expensive one. Company policy didn't allow me top open source the firmware and work from home, so I was stuck with whatever Netgear would provide.

I moved over to Linksys EA9500 and while I like the router, they were not reliable at all. Had 2 completely die (replaced under warranty) and the third required a reboot couple of times a week That led me to my TP-Link which has been outstanding so far.

I think my experience with Netgear was unusual and specific only to that router, and the Linksys one I had seemed to have some reliability issues, so I'm more the exception than the rule for these two companies, but I'm more satisfied now with the TP-Link, so hoping it continues...
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by serpens
A bit off-topic, but related.

The problem I have is latency. I tell my browser to go to a new page (on FT, for instance), and the old page vanishes immediately but there is a short pause before the contents of the new page appear. When I run a speed test, I see the same thing. It starts off slow and then ramps up. Is this a computer, router, or ISP issue? And really, it's a small issue. The delay is usually under one second. But I do notice it, both with web pages and speed test.

The ISP says I should buy a faster connection, but the connection is plenty fast for my purposes when I get the rated speed. It's the delay in getting the rated speed that I notice. Am I just too impatient?
I would test your DNS servers. A slow lookup behaves exactly like you describe. Sometimes changing DNS servers can make a world of difference. I like to use this tool to test. https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm By default most ISPs use their own dns servers,..and those are very hit or miss, more miss than hit imo.

I use pfsense as my internal dns server and have it forward requests to 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1. Those are cloud flares dns servers and they have the best speed vs privacy trade off of any of the major providers IMO (although I haven’t “shopped” in a while). I used to use quad9 before that and level 3 before that. I would never use googles servers because Google already knows way too much about me and I don’t need them knowing every Internet address we lookup.
gfunkdave and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I would test your DNS servers. [...]

I use pfsense as my internal dns server and have it forward requests to 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1. [...]
Thanks for the suggestion. FWIW, I had already set my preferences to the Cloudfare servers (does that mean I don't need to test?), but I don't know what an "internal DNS" server is. Is it a big deal?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion. FWIW, I had already set my preferences to the Cloudfare servers (does that mean I don't need to test?), but I don't know what an "internal DNS" server is. Is it a big deal?
Internal DNS is your local DNS server. So when your computer makes a query for an address, it consults its internal DNS service. If the internal DNS service doesn't have the address, for most people their computer checks the router's database. And if the router's database doesn't have the address, then it'll check the external DNS server (so Google or Cloudflare or whoever). Regardless, it's an invisible process for most people.

It's just some tech-heads set up their own internal DNS servers for various purposes (eg, to kill ads, filter out some sort of material, etc.). It requires a bit more effort (in most cases), but gives you more control.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
It's just some tech-heads set up their own internal DNS servers for various purposes (eg, to kill ads, filter out some sort of material, etc.).
Is that related to a text file (that I don't recall) that listed sites and IP numbers? I remember editing such a file a couple of computers and several OS upgrades ago.

Back to routers, do most routers allow the router's administrator to edit a list DNS servers? (Looking at my router's web interface, I see a page called Static Routing where I can apparently add server, although I wouldn't know what subnet mask to use.)

More importantly, I have added the Cloudfare servers in my computer's network settings. Does that mean the Cloudfare servers get used even if they are not listed in the router's list of DNS servers? Thanks for the continuing education.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Is that related to a text file (that I don't recall) that listed sites and IP numbers? I remember editing such a file a couple of computers and several OS upgrades ago.

Back to routers, do most routers allow the router's administrator to edit a list DNS servers? (Looking at my router's web interface, I see a page called Static Routing where I can apparently add server, although I wouldn't know what subnet mask to use.)

More importantly, I have added the Cloudfare servers in my computer's network settings. Does that mean the Cloudfare servers get used even if they are not listed in the router's list of DNS servers? Thanks for the continuing education.
When you browse to "www.google.com" your computer has no notion of what "www.google.com" means. It needs assistance translating the label "www.google.com" to an IP address (i.e. a form of identification an addressing for computers, imagine a postcode). This help comes in the form of a Domain Name System (DNS) server. These are operated by multiple companies, such as your ISP, Google, Cloudflare, etc. Collectively, they provide a service similar to a phonebook for computers.

For the file you edited, you're likely referring to the hosts file, which can be used to override specific hostnames either to assign an IP address or redirect to (or block) a different address (a hostname being a human-readable label for a computer).

Your computer will attempt to resolve the domain name "google.com" by querying in the following order -- each level can be considered an "override" and takes precedence, so in other words, resolution occurs as follows:

1) hosts file (if any entries apply for the current query, otherwise fallback to local DNS server)
2) local DNS server (if set on your computer's network interface, otherwise fallback to router DNS server)
3) local network DNS server (if set in your router configuration, otherwise fallback to your ISP's DNS server)

Every router I've ever touched has allowed you to set the DNS server addresses. Static Routing is slightly different -- if a packet (i.e. computer message) has a destination of A, you can set a static route such that your router instead sends that packet to a destination of B. Imagine if say, you physically moved a computer from one building to another, and it has a new IP address.

Anyway, I'm sure some networking nerd will find something in my description to nitpick, but hopefully this helps give you a better understanding of how this works at a high level.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:06 pm

I'm assuming you mean the hosts file. That's kinda like an override... The "when you type this, I want you to go here" file. It's not the same, but serves a related purpose.

Most older routers (stock firmware) would let you redirect from your ISP's DNS servers to one of your choice, Custom firmware did allow you. If memory servers, there were some routers which would not let you, but that was a long time ago. Static routing is not the same thing. Static routing has a specific purpose.

You mean as primary/secondary DNS? Yes, they should. There are tests out there you can use to confirm that.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you both.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
For the file you edited, you're likely referring to the hosts file
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I'm assuming you mean the hosts file.
Yes, that was it.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
[...]resolution occurs as follows:

1) hosts file (if any entries apply for the current query, otherwise fallback to local DNS server)
2) local DNS server (if set on your computer's network interface, otherwise fallback to router DNS server)
3) local network DNS server (if set in your router configuration, otherwise fallback to your ISP's DNS server)
Thanks, that answers the question.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I would run the test anyways. Couldn’t hurt. Maybe you’ll see another that’s faster.

Internal dns is for high tech rednecks like me who need to test application software on different stacks at home. I have 6 VLANs about 200 hosts and I use an internal dns server so they can communicate with each other by hostname. Some of the devices are wireless and to simulate customer environments, I need them to reach each other via internal dns. I also use it for privacy reasons.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I am a big fan of the Eero.

Devices seem to roam between nodes extremely well. Also, certain models support DFU channels, which few routers support due to the additional government regulations associated with these channels. This is great if you live in a crowded area such an apartment.

Also, Eero works great if you have a lot of Apple HomeKit devices.

Though even with Eero, if you can do a wired backhaul via ethernet, do it. It makes the wifi experience so much better. Hardwire whatever you can and try to minimize your wifi devices.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Wow, lots of discussion on this! Thank all of you! I ended up going with a pair of Asus AC1900P (AC68U) routers. Bought one new & one refurb off Amazon, with the new one being the master, and the second one being the extender. Wireless mesh since hardwiring them is out of the question. $140 total for both units. I ended up loading Merlin & Skynet on them and life's good. They only have a 200Mbps/10Mbps connection so these are complete overkill and are working well.

I can't see spending more than $140 on consumer gear. At that point Ubiquiti's UniFi system is more capable and more reliable. I've put Ubnt's AirMax gear through hell & hurricanes and only lightning seems to be able to stop it. I've been using PFSense since 2006 and other than one dodgy update in 2021, it's been flawless. I can't even count how many PFSense systems I've deployed over the years. Largest one was 7,000+ users running on a consumer-grade computer and it worked amazingly well. Lately I've been using Dell R210 II servers for this. Complete overkill but they're cheap enough and reliable enough.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Asus here as well. RT-AX89X as my main router, and then an RP-AC56 and my old main router (RT-AC86U) as access points ("mesh nodes" with wireless backhaul)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
Wow, lots of discussion on this! Thank all of you! I ended up going with a pair of Asus AC1900P (AC68U) routers. Bought one new & one refurb off Amazon, with the new one being the master, and the second one being the extender. Wireless mesh since hardwiring them is out of the question. $140 total for both units. I ended up loading Merlin & Skynet on them and life's good. They only have a 200Mbps/10Mbps connection so these are complete overkill and are working well.

I can't see spending more than $140 on consumer gear. At that point Ubiquiti's UniFi system is more capable and more reliable. I've put Ubnt's AirMax gear through hell & hurricanes and only lightning seems to be able to stop it. I've been using PFSense since 2006 and other than one dodgy update in 2021, it's been flawless. I can't even count how many PFSense systems I've deployed over the years. Largest one was 7,000+ users running on a consumer-grade computer and it worked amazingly well. Lately I've been using Dell R210 II servers for this. Complete overkill but they're cheap enough and reliable enough.
Thise A68Us are an oldie but a goodie. I use two of those for trade shows and training sessions for sales. Work great, but I did have to offload DHCP/DNS to a separate raspberry pi.

I can’t say it enough, PfSense is awesome. I can pull speeds at 35MB/s (not Mb/s) using a pfsense ESXi VM on a 10+ year old server using WireGuard. VPNing in and out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.