Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cheaper international calling?

Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Came across ‘hash calling’, where place a hash (#) after the number you are calling.

Its some type of call back feature apparently for lower cost dialing.

Anyone have experience with this? It’s offered by Esim.net but does it work with other
esims’s?

https://www.esim.net/helpdesk/knowle.../hash-calling/
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing it's specific to esim.net. I bet that the "hash calling" routes the call through cheaper carriers.

When I need to make a cheap international call (and Whatsapp or Facetime won't do) I just use Google Voice.
bukzin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Like someone else commented, I expect this is provider-specific.

It reminds me of international calling in Thailand. The standard int'l dialing prefix is 001, but using 005 (or some other provider-specific prefix) routes the call over lower-priority IP-based calling or something, and the rate is cheaper. (This was years ago and I'm not sure it's still a thing.)
bukzin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA DL AA
Viber isn’t bad.

Though I haven’t dug down to how the rates compare among Viber, GV, Skype and others.

It would seem the VOIP apps are cheaper than international dialing though there are different calling cards you can use to specific countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.