Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month. How do I quickly secure all PCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month. How do I quickly secure all PCs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:10 am

The average thief could Not care less about your personal data. If they steal any electronics, they just wipe it and resell it.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're worried about your data just make sure you have your OS's full drive encryption turned on. Windows calls it Bitlocker (though I think it may not be available in Win10 Home). MacOS calls it FileVault. In Linux a popular option is LUKS.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This sounds like a, um, unique situation, am I right? Something a little more than a hacker finding an E-trade password?

The only reason this is a thread at all is because the OP believe there are people who might hit his house specifically for the data. I don't know what this is, probably not a crypto mine because you'd have better infosec already....but something clearly more than a typical consumer might have on prem.

If the intruder is indeed a criminal who has to move fast, the kitty litter thing might work. On the other hand, if it's the police with a search warrant and determination to find that hardware, they're gonna find it.

If somebody broke into my house and snagged a couple PCs (with encrypted hard drives), I'd assume they just want to wipe everything and sell it. But this is such a low-probability event that it's not something I lose sleep over.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chrisrozon
The average thief could Not care less about your personal data. If they steal any electronics, they just wipe it and resell it.
I doubt they would even wipe it. They would just dump it to a fence, who would probably make an effort to extract data.

As noted above, I'm pretty sure petty thieves would only look for laptops and tablets. However, there might be some that might take desktop computers in hopes that it's an expensive gaming computer.
GUWonder and chrisrozon like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Data that is stolen -- or blocked -- is generally harder to replace than hardware. Protecting the data by securing local storage and perhaps otherwise is where I would put my efforts.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I doubt they would even wipe it. They would just dump it to a fence, who would probably make an effort to extract data.

As noted above, I'm pretty sure petty thieves would only look for laptops and tablets. However, there might be some that might take desktop computers in hopes that it's an expensive gaming computer.
Indeed casual thieves go for the more portable stuff that is sort of durable. They aren't likely to try to raid the expensive Joseon porcelain pieces as much as they are likely to break them while looking for cash or who knows what else around them.

Not sure that most fenced hardware would get around to being subject to even a basic data extraction attempt nowadays, but some fenced good sellers do make such an effort before wiping and reselling.

When it comes to expensive gaming computers, even many pre-teens and young teenagers know how to make a quick grab for valuable components in an "expensive gaming computer" desktop without having to take the case. Young adults -- and even some pre-adults -- doing home break-ins or otherwise doing thefts also know what to grab to try to make a quick buck or save a buck by misappropriating components for their own personal use.

Some security cameras in plain sight and a very high-decibel alarm triggered by motion will equate to thieves acting in such a way as to be less effective in searching for and grabbing valuables from the premises unless it's a raid in the boonies.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
What if they break in, install a keylogger on your keyboard, and come back after you returned but have left to go to Target to get groceries.
gfunkdave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.