Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Technology

No USB/Flash Drive Port for the New MacBooks??

No USB/Flash Drive Port for the New MacBooks??

Old Nov 19, 21, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The new power adapter should have a USB-C outlet. If I am correct about this, the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable will make it possible to charge an older MacBook Air using the new power adapter.
I'm not sure if we are saying the same thing, but MagSafe 3 is not backward compatible with MagSafe 2 products.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...u-need-to-know
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 19, 21, 10:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm not sure if we are saying the same thing, but MagSafe 3 is not backward compatible with MagSafe 2 products.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...u-need-to-know
We are not.

There is a power adapter which plugs into an electric outlet.

There are cables that connect the power adapter to the device.

If the new computer came with a power adapter that has a USB-C outlet, one can use the new adapter by plugging a USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable into it. The USB-C end plugs into the power adapter and the MagSafe end into the older MacBook Air.

From Apple's Mac Accessories website:
The 67W USB-C Power Adapter offers fast, efficient charging at home, in the office, or on the go. It’s compatible with numerous USB-C devices and charging cables.

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 19, 21, 10:59 am
Suspended

Ah, I see. Yes, many USB-C chargers should work to charge new MacBooks; my point was that this whole setup is not backwards compatible to MacBooks with MagSafe 2. I would love to get rid of my brick!
Old Nov 19, 21, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
We are not.

There is a power adapter which plugs into an electric outlet.

There are cables that connect the power adapter to the device.

If the new computer came with a power adapter that has a USB-C outlet, one can use the new adapter by plugging a USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable into it. The USB-C end plugs into the power adapter and the MagSafe end into the older MacBook Air.

From Apple's Mac Accessories website:
Jeezus, $60 for a c.2018 charger and $50 for the cable?

You should be able to get a USB C charger and a cable for $50 all-in:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ptop-chargers/
Old Nov 22, 21, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by John Anderson L. View Post
I have a 2015 MacBook Air

I use a USB/Flash Drive to transfer large MS WORD files from work to home, and as a secondary backup

Today I noticed two of my students with new MacBooks (one an MB Air and the other a MB Pro) and neither device had a port that would fit a USB/Flash Drive

One student said she could have bought an adaptor but it would have been expensive

So is the USB/Flash Drive dead as far as Apple is concerned??
I think they took the USB-A ports out around 2017 or 2018. I remember my niece complained about it as she was a lifetime Macbook user since high school. She has a bunch of accessories like drawing pad, trackball, external HD, DVD burner, all plugs into USB-A. She had to buy a $100 color matching hub to body of the new laptop (non-Apple because Apple does not make one) just so she could use all her accessories again.

If you just want to use a USB drive (with USB-A port), you could just use an adapter (USB-C male <-> USB-A female). I got a bunch of those for free from buying Android phones. I think both Pixel and Samsung phones come with them for you to transfer data from old phone to new phone using a cable.

Last edited by Need; Nov 22, 21 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 22, 21, 9:39 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
My husband just got a new MacAir. My frustration is that it requires a different power cord than my old MacAir. We each bring our computers on trips. I like to have interchangeable power cords. Does anyone know if there is an adapter for the new power cord that allows it to attach to the old MacAir?
I learned the proper nomenclature from this thread. I needed a cord with a USB-C tip and a MagSafe 2 tip. My husband went to the Apple store and was told that they do not make it. I found it at Amazon and can now use it between the new power brick and my old MacAir.

Amazon Amazon

Thank you for encouragement, especially by TWA884.
KRSW and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 9:52 am
Suspended

I learned the proper nomenclature from this thread. I needed a cord with a USB-C tip and a MagSafe 2 tip. My husband went to the Apple store and was told that they do not make it. I found it at Amazon and can now use it between the new power brick and my old MacAir.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for encouragement, especially by TWA884.
Sure they do😉

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...65df1591b7d77f
Old Nov 22, 21, 9:57 am

After reading this thread, I'm hoping we all just accelerate to Thunderbolt asap as the universal standard.
Old Nov 22, 21, 10:00 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
That has a MagSafe 3 tip and I needed MagSafe 2.
LIH Prem and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I've used
these dongles these dongles
with all my USB-A hard drives, thumb drives and other things (like radio programming cables, camera connection cables, etc)
They're cheap, and usually have a coupon that cuts the price further, enough so that I keep a couple in my travel kit in addition to the other ones that I have here for various things.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 11:56 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff View Post
I've used these dongles with all my USB-A hard drives, thumb drives and other things (like radio programming cables, camera connection cables, etc)
They're cheap, and usually have a coupon that cuts the price further, enough so that I keep a couple in my travel kit in addition to the other ones that I have here for various things.
Thank you. Nice tip. I just bought one for $6 after 50% rebate.
Old Nov 22, 21, 12:52 pm
Suspended

That has a MagSafe 3 tip and I needed MagSafe 2.
Yes of course. Bad reading comprehension on my part. I need to get myself one of those cables!
Old Nov 22, 21, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
After reading this thread, I'm hoping we all just accelerate to Thunderbolt asap as the universal standard.
The last item I bought that didn't charge over USB C/Thunderbolt was 2015 (a Kindle).

I would say the standard has changed; maybe some still need to catch up.
Old Nov 22, 21, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. My Galaxy A21 has one port - USB C. I wanted to plug in a keyboard/mouse for text use, so I got a C(male) to A (female) cord at Walmart for under $10. It works fine.

I also use it to connect a small 4-port USB-A hub, and I can charge, mouse, and type at the same time.

Again, YMMV.
Old Nov 22, 21, 11:52 pm

I'm getting a good chuckle out of this. Remember when Apple ran commercials about how their laptops didn't need dongles? Now they require the most out of any brand.
Thunderbolt won't become the standard because of Intel's licensing. USB-C is a different story and even cheap Chinese gadgets now use it. I even have flashlights with USB-C ports on them now.

Search this Thread