Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Who else is weak-willed like me and ordered a new M1 Pro or M1 Max macbook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

Yesterday, after the apple event, I immediately ordered a new MacBook pro 14-inch w/ the 10CPU/32GPU M1 Max chip. Went with 32GB* ram and 1TB SSD. In the back of my mind, I knew a maxed out M1 Macbook air would be enough for my needs, but my willpower wasn't strong enough to resist.

Background: I've now "owned" a computer in over 10 years. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro + a 2019 HP crap-book both issued from my firm... but as more and more spyware is being loaded onto both machines, I decided it is finally time to get a "personal" computer again. I just won't feel comfortable doing personal tasks (like visiting and posting to Flyertalk) on a work owned machine, and I'm too old & slow to do it from my phone.

I'm now eagerly awaiting Tuesday Oct 26 to get my hands on this beast.

*Low-key regretting not going with the 64GB ram as I tend to run lots of virtual machines and other ram-heavy tasks. But after reading how well the M1 MBA performs with just 8gb ram... I decided to take a gamble and save the ~$450 (after tax) difference.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster

*Low-key regretting not going with the 64GB ram as I tend to run lots of virtual machines and other ram-heavy tasks. But after reading how well the M1 MBA performs with just 8gb ram... I decided to take a gamble and save the ~$450 (after tax) difference.
I bought the M1 Mac Mini with 8 GB after being assured 8 GB on the M1 is like 16 GB on an Intel. I find these claims to be...aggressive. A big Excel spreadsheet will bog this machine down. That said, not sure what you ordered -- I hope it was more than 8, but 64 is probably overkill unless you're running a small private cloud or doing lots of data stuff.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by jghassell
I bought the M1 Mac Mini with 8 GB after being assured 8 GB on the M1 is like 16 GB on an Intel. I find these claims to be...aggressive. A big Excel spreadsheet will bog this machine down. That said, not sure what you ordered -- I hope it was more than 8, but 64 is probably overkill unless you're running a small private cloud or doing lots of data stuff.
Bought 32GB. Which is twice what I have in my current work-issued Intel Macbook.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Bought 32GB. Which is twice what I have in my current work-issued Intel Macbook.
Have to think that would be fine then -- good call. I too am weak willed and am about to pull the trigger.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:59 am

Have to think that would be fine then -- good call. I too am weak willed and am about to pull the trigger.
Me too. Haven't yet, but this thread certainly isn't going to help me refrain. Perhaps, this is one of those instances where the only way to rid temptation is to yield to it.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I was weak-willed last year and replaced my 2017 MBP 13" 16/512 with the base model M1. There was really no need, it was fine for what I do. I blame the $150 discount from SimplyMac.

The base MBP has been more than enough, though it required a bit more discipline as to file management. Battery life is still phenomenal, and that alone makes me quite happy with it.

I have absolutely no need for the M1Pro or M1Max, logically speaking. That doesn't mean I don't want one, nor does it mean I can't still convince myself that for some subset of reasons, want == need. The 14" screen in a body less than 1/10" bigger in either dimension is e of those reasons.

Haven't yet lost my resolve this year.

Ideally, I'd love to see a change similar to the 13->14", but in the MacBook Air. Think 13" screen, but in something only a tiny bit bigger than the MacBook 12". Of course, I'd love to see that with the M1Pro, but I don't think that will happen, as it will cannibalize the low-end M1 13" models.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
$2000? Nope. I can't justify it.

The promise of the 14-inch MacBook Pro was the elephant in the room when I bought my M1 MacBook Air back in the summer but given the pricing I feel a lot more comfortable with having bought the Air. Once my girlfriend resumed travelling for work and I was staying in the city with her dogs I needed a reasonable laptop and she loves her M1 MacBook Air so I bought one then.

They aren't aggressive, they're ......... Macs have been swapping to very fast flash for nearly a decade, it's why my 4GB MacBook Air was nominally usable. There is nothing terribly novel about the M1's memory architecture other than really dense memory components are really expensive.

Last edited by Error 601; Oct 24, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Yesterday, after the apple event, I immediately ordered a new MacBook pro 14-inch w/ the 10CPU/32GPU M1 Max chip. Went with 32GB* ram and 1TB SSD. In the back of my mind, I knew a maxed out M1 Macbook air would be enough for my needs, but my willpower wasn't strong enough to resist.

Background: I've now "owned" a computer in over 10 years. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro + a 2019 HP crap-book both issued from my firm... but as more and more spyware is being loaded onto both machines, I decided it is finally time to get a "personal" computer again. I just won't feel comfortable doing personal tasks (like visiting and posting to Flyertalk) on a work owned machine, and I'm too old & slow to do it from my phone.

I'm now eagerly awaiting Tuesday Oct 26 to get my hands on this beast.

$3300 Macbook? Specs look tempting for me, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. (I have a 2017 15" Macbook Pro 16 gig/512ssd).
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
How much I need one of these depends on the size of my Christmas bonus (which I suspect will be zero this year :-( ). Seriously, I don’t actually need* but that 14” model is calling my name.

* My M1 Air is perfect.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Internaut
How much I need one of these depends on the size of my Christmas bonus (which I suspect will be zero this year :-( ). Seriously, I don’t actually need* but that 14” model is calling my name.

* My M1 Air is perfect.
I'm actually hoping for a smaller / lighter M1 Air. Same size screen but with smaller bezels like the new 14"/16". Something similar size and weight to the 12" MacBook.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:16 pm

I caved and ordered a 16" M1 Max with 32GB of ram and 1TB SSD. Feel like I should have gone with 64GB but don't really feel like cancelling and reordering again. Replacing my late-2019 16" MBP with the Core i9. Excited about the improved battery life and new webcam.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I did the second it was announced. I’ve been sticking around with my dinosaur of a 2013 MacBook Pro because I love the HDMI port, I carry a cord when traveling and can just plug it into a hotel tv. Now that they’ve put the port back on I’m in!
Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm actually hoping for a smaller / lighter M1 Air. Same size screen but with smaller bezels like the new 14"/16". Something similar size and weight to the 12" MacBook.
That is rumoured and some of the people doing the rumouring nailed the laptops that arrived this week some months ago. I think you will get your wish.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:31 pm

Having owned/used Apple since the //e, I always crave the latest. But, the prices for new are always high (for me, bonus or not). Not needing the "fastest" or whatever rig, I tend to skew towards the previous model year or two (if you will) and refurb'ed if possible. These models are slick. I have to say that when the "Air" came out of that Holy Joe was when I really did crave "the latest." I saw the $1999ish 14 inch w/ the right range of RAM/HD for me and really thought about it. But, I'll wait ... as always.
KRSW likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: *G
I had planned on the the new ARM-based Pros, but since the first release was the Air, I bought the 8GB M1 Air as a temporary holdover...and waited and waited for all the delays until this new MBP was announced.

But now, the M1 Air is still so darn fast, cool (temp wise), with stupendous battery life... I haven't been able to scrounge an excuse for the Pro. Probably by next Spring when some 14" Pros hit the refurb store it'll be too tempting to miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.