Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Who else is weak-willed like me and ordered a new M1 Pro or M1 Max macbook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else is weak-willed like me and ordered a new M1 Pro or M1 Max macbook?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by LordHamster
So far it has been great:
  • It is very fast and performant in the various tasks I've thrown at it. For basic computing it is an absolute beast. Definitely performs better than my work-issued 2019 MBP 16 inch.
  • I've not really used the keyboard or screen much myself as I have it hooked to my 49 inch dell monitor with the laptop closed.
  • Had some odd issue with my Caldigit TS3 thunderbolt hub where the hub would not always "wake" up the screen after I came back from a prolonged break. I'm testing various scenarios around that use case. Hooking the laptop directly to the screen works brilliantly though.
  • I like the size/weight better than my old 16 inch from work. The 14 incher is a better size for a travel scenario.
I have the same issue with the M1 MacBook Air, 25” Dell Ultra Sharp and Caldigit Soho Hub. Sometimes takes sleeping/waking a couple of times to get the external display on. Disappointed Apple didn’t iron out that one with the next generation.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Internaut
I have the same issue with the M1 MacBook Air, 25” Dell Ultra Sharp and Caldigit Soho Hub. Sometimes takes sleeping/waking a couple of times to get the external display on. Disappointed Apple didn’t iron out that one with the next generation.
I've managed to fix the issue on mine. Turns out the problem is on the Caldigit side. After scouring forums, I discovered that if I replace the Thunderbolt connection between the dock and monitor with a DP cable, then it works great. Also, hooking my Mac directly to the monitor with USB-C works great... something is off w/ the Caldigit dock. But with the DP workaround, I'm happy again.
Internaut and Visconti like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:52 am

I have last year’s M1 Mini with 16 gigs. It works, but is really not enough. What I will say is that even when I get the running out of memory error, it still seems to run at an acceptable speed.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Oh dear... A combination of £100 off for Black Friday, and the fact that Amazon UK now does five months interest free on anything reasonably expensive, and suddenly I have a 14" MacBook Pro on the way. You can definitely file that under desire rather than needs.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by afallnstar
I caved and ordered a 16" M1 Max with 32GB of ram and 1TB SSD
I caved and bought this same model in an Apple store. Still on the fence about the 16” vs 14” but wow is this a glorious machine…
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
FWIW I got an Anker Thunderbolt 4 dock and Samsung S65UA 34” ultrawide monitor. This issue with unreliable external display activation seems to not exist with this particular combo, where it did exist for me previously with various other dock+monitor+Mac combinations.
Internaut and Visconti like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2
FWIW I got an Anker Thunderbolt 4 dock and Samsung S65UA 34” ultrawide monitor. This issue with unreliable external display activation seems to not exist with this particular combo, where it did exist for me previously with various other dock+monitor+Mac combinations.
This is helpful. One of the most important criteria for me is the ability to use a dock for multiple displays, and just don't want to mess around with issues.

And, as with most, I probably don't "need" it, but I'm probably just gonna get it anyway. 16 vs 14? Hm...
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
This is helpful. One of the most important criteria for me is the ability to use a dock for multiple displays
Monitor (when I bought last week, it was sold by and shipped from Amazon, at a much lower price than I see from the 3P seller this morning):
Amazon Amazon

Dock:
Amazon Amazon

BTW I’m using an HDMI connection from dock to monitor.
I also have a 38” ViewSomic ultrawide coming next week, and can report back on how well it works with this dock.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
16 vs 14?
I don’t need extreme or even serious portability, so the 16” is probably OK for me. My only real concern is for the occasional times I may want to travel with it, whether the 16” will fit in a hotel room safe. I think the answer is “only if I get lucky” and in most cases it wouldn’t. Then again the same may apply equally to a 14”, though I didn’t notice this as a problem with a 2020 Air.

Actually this seems like a good topic for a new thread, which I will start.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:48 pm

I caved and bought this same model in an Apple store. Still on the fence about the 16” vs 14” but wow is this a glorious machine…
Couldn't agree more. Absolutely love the 16" form factor, layer on the extra screen real estate and battery life and I couldn't be happier. If I'm looking for portability, I'll grab the Surface Pro 8 or iPad Pro.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:57 am

I don’t need extreme or even serious portability, so the 16” is probably OK for me. My only real concern is for the occasional times I may want to travel with it, whether the 16” will fit in a hotel room safe. I think the answer is “only if I get lucky” and in most cases it wouldn’t. Then again the same may apply equally to a 14”, though I didn’t notice this as a problem with a 2020 Air.

Actually this seems like a good topic for a new thread, which I will start.
I upgraded from a 2015-era 15" MBP to the 16" MBP in March of 2020. I had a brief chance to compare the two before returning the old one to corporate IT. I found the 16" to be just *barely* bigger than the 15". If I remember correctly, it was about 1/8" larger overall in the left/right and front/back dimensions, and slightly thinner overall. The bezel on the display is much smaller - only about 1/4" on the sides - which allowed them to fit a larger display into nearly the same space. Of course, with only USB-C ports, I need to pack around a bunch of dongles that I didn't need in the past, but the computer itself just isn't that much bigger.

I travel extensively, and use this as my primary work computer. It fits easily into the same backpack compartment as the older unit, and I have never run across a room safe that it wouldn't fit, though sometimes I have to fit it diagonally through the door opening. I don't usually bother with the safe, but if the neighborhood is sufficiently sketchy I will hide it in there to add another layer of theft-difficulty while I am out at dinner.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:24 am

So, the MacBook 14" arrived, after a monumental effort to get Amazon to deliver it*. Thoughts? Those of you used to the previous generation (especially the Air) are probably best walking into a shop where you can pick one up. You might find it a little bit more chunky and quite a bit heavier than photos might have you believe. It's built like a tank and feels like it could stop a bullet. All other impressions, so far, are positive. The display is beautiful and may cause some prospective buyers to to consider the larger 16" version instead.

* They lost the package, insisted it was out for delivery each day, and eventually admitted it was lost and sent me another. The another in question didn't have the AppleCare+ I'd purchased with the first so I then had to get Amazon to refund me on that before buying direct from Apple on the device. My advice? Buy AppleCare+ directly from your device once you have it in your hands. It was bumpy but hard to fault Amazon too much - they made it right in the end as I've come to expect from them.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
My advice? Buy AppleCare+ directly from your device once you have it in your hands.
I have never been able to successfully do that.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
I have never been able to successfully do that.
Top left corner (Apple Symbol) -> About This Mac -> Support -> Apple Care+. It brings up a browser page and you may need the password associated with your Apple ID. First couple of times, strangely, it said "Your device isn't eligible for cover". Third was fine and allowed me to buy. Now when I go into the About This Mac App it shows me covered.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
On Catalina the Apple care tab is Apple-> About This Mac -> Service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.