Reload this Page >

Where to buy a home server?

Where to buy a home server?

Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
That's gotta be a typo.

I have a stack of 2.5" drives and they range from 20 to 750 Gb.
Yeah, the biggest I could easily find when I briefly looked was 2 TB.

Building the server this weekend!
crackjack likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
That's gotta be a typo.

I have a stack of 2.5" drives and they range from 20 to 750 Gb.
Oops, yea, meant 5TB, not 5GB…
(The 1st iPod from 2000 had a 1.8” 5GB HDD!)

Thanks for pointing that out, fixed.

Maximum capacity available specifically as a 2.5” internal drive is this 5TB one (but needs 15cm height clearance, whereas most laptops w/ HDDs would use 7mm or 9.5mm height drives):
https://www.adorama.com/sest5000lm00.html
External options have the same maximum capacity, have 4 WDs of those.

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 4, 2021 at 2:17 am
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by crackjack
(The 1st iPod from 2000 had a 1.8” 5GB HDD!)
I've still got a 4GB microdrive (HDD in a compactflash form factor) from the early 2000s when flash capacities were like 64-128MB.

Physically smallest rotational drives I'm aware of.
crackjack likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Server built! It probably took me about 2 hours because I was going very slowly and had to figure out how some things went together, or had to take things apart and redo them when I realized I'd done them in the wrong order. But it booted on the first try and it is crazy fast with the M2 SSD boot drive. mdadm reports it is resyncing the RAID array.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Server built! It probably took me about 2 hours because I was going very slowly and had to figure out how some things went together, or had to take things apart and redo them when I realized I'd done them in the wrong order. But it booted on the first try and it is crazy fast with the M2 SSD boot drive. mdadm reports it is resyncing the RAID array.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
Good to hear! That said, don't worry about the time required to assemble computers. It can take 20 minutes or several hours depending on a whole whack of reasons (personally, I find making the cables nice and tidy very time consuming) but as long as you've learned from it then it was worth it.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now I just have to figure out why VNC shows a blank, black desktop. It's a headless server now and I remember it took some doing to get vnc working on my last one...but don't remember what. I downloaded a dummy video driver and put in a dummy monitor in xorg.conf but not sure what else to do.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:29 pm

Now I just have to figure out why VNC shows a blank, black desktop. It's a headless server now and I remember it took some doing to get vnc working on my last one...but don't remember what. I downloaded a dummy video driver and put in a dummy monitor in xorg.conf but not sure what else to do.
Are you saying you can log in but there's no desktop background? Or that you connect but don't see anything? What command(s) are you using? It could be a switch (eg, you might have made an alias before and forgot... won't be the first or last time this happens) or some other modification that is required (eg, permissions? user?, etc.)
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It’s a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04. I installed the Vino VNC server, which Ubuntu uses for its built in screen sharing, and set it to allow VNC connections without prompting the desktop user. I also have the machine set to auto log me in at startup.

When I connect, my VNC client connects just fine (and warns me the connection isn’t encrypted) but the window is black. Ordinarily I see my full desktop (including the background).
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:56 pm

It’s a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04. I installed the Vino VNC server, which Ubuntu uses for its built in screen sharing, and set it to allow VNC connections without prompting the desktop user. I also have the machine set to auto log me in at startup.

When I connect, my VNC client connects just fine (and warns me the connection isn’t encrypted) but the window is black. Ordinarily I see my full desktop (including the background).
Try this..

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1152...r-black-screen

It's for an older version of Ubuntu, but I think 20.04 is still gnome 3 and not the newer version (gnome 40?)
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which VNC implementation are you using? Does it work with Wayland? Pretty sure 20.04 and newer are all fully on wayland vs. traditional X11.

[Edit: it's 21.04 which is fully on Wayland, not the 20.04 LTS ]

Last edited by nkedel; Sep 6, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm using Vino, which isn't installed by default but is the VNC server that, when you install it, causes the "Screen Sharing" option to appear in the control panel. It used to be installed by default. In any case, I recreated the xorg.conf file per the link (thanks for finding that!) and still get the blank screen. I'll try plugging the monitor in to it. If that works I'll just buy a dummy VGA adapter...though this SHOULD work without the adapter since I think it basically tells the GPU the same thing as the dummy physical adapter.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I didn't realize VNC was still a thing. Much more fun to use SSH and the CLI.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I use ssh for most things but sometimes you just need the GUI.

Vnc works after plugging in a monitor. I gave in and bought a dummy vga plug to fool it into thinking a monitor is attached.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:40 pm

Vnc works after plugging in a monitor. I gave in and bought a dummy vga plug to fool it into thinking a monitor is attached.
That is so odd. There has to be a reason for it. I should install Ubuntu and see if I can replicate it. I've got an older box lying around that I could repurpose for it. Just need to find space on a desk somewhere. You've got me curious now...
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I didn't realize VNC was still a thing. Much more fun to use SSH and the CLI.
Two different things, each has their place.

I've not actually used VNC for remote desktop in years - was on nxserver, then x2go-server, and now xrdp which at least on a fast local network is a truly superb way of remote controlling a Linux machine (x2goserver was better for higher-latency remote access, but that's a pretty rare use case for me these days)

All of those, however, are unshared remote desktops - vnc lets you share one session with local use, although since gfunkdave seems to be using this headless, not running a bare-metal X server at all and just running one of those might be preferable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.