Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:10 pm
  #496  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 14
Used my airtags last year to hawaii and and it worked out pretty for knowing the the luggage was with the plane.
But when waiting at the luggage area, it didn't show up until it was about to be out of on the conveyer belts. They do give me some piece of mind knowing that I at least have a chance of tracking it if it went missing, vs that not being an option at all
lsquare and Davvidd like this.
izint is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:24 pm
  #497  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by izint
Used my airtags last year to hawaii and and it worked out pretty for knowing the the luggage was with the plane.
But when waiting at the luggage area, it didn't show up until it was about to be out of on the conveyer belts. They do give me some piece of mind knowing that I at least have a chance of tracking it if it went missing, vs that not being an option at all
This could be due to a whole number of reasons, however, I really don't understand why Apple doesn't develop beacons that could be put in strategic places that would pick up air tags and send an update. Put a few wired units in the bowels of the airport where the luggage is handled (you aren't necessarily guaranteed a signal in this area) and voila, you're helping your users. Hotels and shopping malls would also be good candidates for this. I have a few tags that I ask my parents and other elderly relatives to carry on them. They know what the tags are for and trust that I won't use them to trace them unless necessary. Luckily this hasn't been required, but for a little investment, I know how to find my loved ones and if I have to track them, and if there were beacons of some sort that would help, that'd be even better.
nmenaker and Davvidd like this.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:29 am
  #498  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
This could be due to a whole number of reasons, however, I really don't understand why Apple doesn't develop beacons that could be put in strategic places that would pick up air tags and send an update. Put a few wired units in the bowels of the airport where the luggage is handled (you aren't necessarily guaranteed a signal in this area) and voila, you're helping your users. Hotels and shopping malls would also be good candidates for this. I have a few tags that I ask my parents and other elderly relatives to carry on them. They know what the tags are for and trust that I won't use them to trace them unless necessary. Luckily this hasn't been required, but for a little investment, I know how to find my loved ones and if I have to track them, and if there were beacons of some sort that would help, that'd be even better.
That does seem to be quite useful, but maybe it is not worth the cost right now for them to invest in these beacons. Apple did post an article on their site on May 5 - Apple and Google lead initiative for an industry specification to address unwanted tracking. So maybe they are also waiting for more industry standardization or better cost-benefit for them to do it.
izint is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:22 am
  #499  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 4,934
Originally Posted by izint
Used my airtags last year to hawaii and and it worked out pretty for knowing the the luggage was with the plane.
But when waiting at the luggage area, it didn't show up until it was about to be out of on the conveyer belts. They do give me some piece of mind knowing that I at least have a chance of tracking it if it went missing, vs that not being an option at all
It also could be that the staff close to them may not have iPhones?
Davvidd is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:30 am
  #500  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Posts: 1,919
Originally Posted by izint
Used my airtags last year to hawaii and and it worked out pretty for knowing the the luggage was with the plane.
But when waiting at the luggage area, it didn't show up until it was about to be out of on the conveyer belts. They do give me some piece of mind knowing that I at least have a chance of tracking it if it went missing, vs that not being an option at all
But there is another possibility; even if you don't see the bags when you get off the plane, at least they are (I hope) no longer currently somewhere else. When I land, I always check the last time the bag was seen. If it was shortly before take-off, fine, the bag will likely turn up. If it has been seen at the departing airport a few minutes ago, I go directly to the delayed luggage queue.
SanDiego1K and der_saeufer like this.
ckendall is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:34 pm
  #501  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by ckendall
But there is another possibility; even if you don't see the bags when you get off the plane, at least they are (I hope) no longer currently somewhere else. When I land, I always check the last time the bag was seen. If it was shortly before take-off, fine, the bag will likely turn up. If it has been seen at the departing airport a few minutes ago, I go directly to the delayed luggage queue.
Pro-tip (not really). You can always take a walk through the length of the plane (within reason... don't annoy the other cabins) and if your phone has the UWB chip, it can trigger the airtag and you should have confirmation that the luggage is with you. It doesn't always work for some of the reasons above, but if you're lucky, you'll see your luggage nearby.

Watch this video.... will show you what I mean about if the tag is with you:
aztimm and TGarza like this.

Last edited by StuckInYYZ; Aug 11, 2023 at 2:38 pm Reason: ETA: video
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:02 pm
  #502  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by izint
That does seem to be quite useful, but maybe it is not worth the cost right now for them to invest in these beacons. Apple did post an article on their site on May 5 - Apple and Google lead initiative for an industry specification to address unwanted tracking. So maybe they are also waiting for more industry standardization or better cost-benefit for them to do it.
Didn't see this. What Apple and Google are looking at is a software issue. The solution I'm proposing is a hardware one and something that would benefit others. It would also have a limited scope.
Davvidd likes this.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:44 am
  #503  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: United Mileage Plus
Posts: 658
I have had an AirTag in my one check bag for the pat year or so.

Yeah it usually shows the departing airport as the last known location.

Then at the arriving airport, Ive seen it at the gate where the plane is parked or not until it comes out to the carousel at baggage claim.

If it used Android phones as well, youd expect a lot more tracking but it does pretty well considering that iPhones are minority market share in many places, especially outside the US.

Real test of course is when the bag is lost or left behind.
frappant is online now  
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:50 am
  #504  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 4,934
Originally Posted by frappant
I have had an AirTag in my one check bag for the pat year or so.

Yeah it usually shows the departing airport as the last known location.

Then at the arriving airport, Ive seen it at the gate where the plane is parked or not until it comes out to the carousel at baggage claim.

If it used Android phones as well, youd expect a lot more tracking but it does pretty well considering that iPhones are minority market share in many places, especially outside the US.

Real test of course is when the bag is lost or left behind.
I would not say so. Lots of iPhones certainly in Asia. Especially the second hand market. I have always seen my bag in Asia before I see it. Sometimes I have seen it even when inside the aircraft and taxiing.
Davvidd is offline  
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:46 pm
  #505  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: EWR/SNA/SUN
Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Posts: 497
Originally Posted by frappant
I have had an AirTag in my one check bag for the pat year or so.

Yeah it usually shows the departing airport as the last known location.

Then at the arriving airport, I’ve seen it at the gate where the plane is parked or not until it comes out to the carousel at baggage claim.

If it used Android phones as well, you’d expect a lot more tracking but it does pretty well considering that iPhones are minority market share in many places, especially outside the US.

Real test of course is when the bag is lost or left behind.
Not my experience. I don't check my bag very often (maybe 1 out of every 5 flights, less if I can help it).

But when I do, I'll typically be standing at baggage claim, and "see" the bag somewhere on the runway, then somewhere in the terminal right before it pops out on the carousel. I just had an issue (posted in the Newark Terminal A thread about it), where my bag was delivered to another terminal than my arriving flight. The united app told me to go to the other terminal to get my bag, and my air confirmed the bag was happily waiting for me at Terminal A.
1200GS is offline  
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:56 pm
  #506  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by 1200GS
Not my experience. I don't check my bag very often (maybe 1 out of every 5 flights, less if I can help it).

But when I do, I'll typically be standing at baggage claim, and "see" the bag somewhere on the runway, then somewhere in the terminal right before it pops out on the carousel. I just had an issue (posted in the Newark Terminal A thread about it), where my bag was delivered to another terminal than my arriving flight. The united app told me to go to the other terminal to get my bag, and my air confirmed the bag was happily waiting for me at Terminal A.
That's the thing. Once it hits an airport, you're looking at massive concrete structures that are effectively giant faraday cages. So the airtag triggers a location request. But if it's inside the luggage distribution center, then any phone that receives the location request has to wait until it hits a cell or wifi signal (and possibly a GPS signal as well). And with all the wiring in the area, that'd have to be a pretty strong signal.
lsquare and Davvidd like this.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:04 pm
  #507  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Posts: 4,668
Woot.com has a sale on Airtag stick-on protective holders through September 19, made under license from Pelican:
_
"Case with 3M Adhesive Sticker 4-Pack Protective Shockproof Cover for Apple Air Tag | Hidden Stick On Mount for Bike, Wallet, Travel, TV Remote, Car, and Luggage"
_
With the coupon code: TECHY3, one protector is $1.99 and a four-pack is $5.99. Amazon Prime members pay no shipping:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...-airtag-holder

The four packs are currently listed on
Amazon Amazon
(US) for a rather inflated $34.99, and have over 4,400 ratings averaging 4.7.
_
_
_
_
1200GS likes this.

Last edited by Craig6z; Sep 14, 2023 at 6:15 pm
Craig6z is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:25 pm
  #508  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco, California
Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Posts: 841
Thanks for this! I'm a total sucker for these kinds of things. You get another 6% off with Rakuten, too.
DMSFCA is offline  
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:51 am
  #509  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,945
I fly mostly United and their App can actually tell you where your bag has been scanned by them (e.g. loaded onto flight, unloaded from flight).

I am taking some non-United trips with long layovers. I am also taking a trip on a foreign carrier and I worry if my US-sized/weight rollerboard might be gate-checked. So, I finally bought the AirTag.

I am thinking maybe putting it in a Ziplock bag with my contact information in the inside pocket. Will be fun to see how it works...
username is offline  
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:41 pm
  #510  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 4,934
Originally Posted by username
I fly mostly United and their App can actually tell you where your bag has been scanned by them (e.g. loaded onto flight, unloaded from flight).

I am taking some non-United trips with long layovers. I am also taking a trip on a foreign carrier and I worry if my US-sized/weight rollerboard might be gate-checked. So, I finally bought the AirTag.

I am thinking maybe putting it in a Ziplock bag with my contact information in the inside pocket. Will be fun to see how it works...
I have been using it for more almost an year now and it has worked always. I know that my bag is at the airport on arrival almost every time.
username and DeafFlyer like this.
Davvidd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.