Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old May 15, 2021, 3:18 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I got my AirTags.

now just need the cheap keychains I bought on Amazon to arrive.
Old May 15, 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Honestly, I think the precision tracking part of the Airtags is overrated. From all the videos I have seen, precision tracking kicks in around 25' to 30'. Unless it is a in a loud environment, or you are hearing impaired, you should be able to hear the sound (if you activated it) at that distance already. Precision tracking would actually come in very handy when my wife lost her phone in the house. She has it on vibrate mode, so even if I call her, the phone will only vibrate and not that strong if it is on a soft surface like between the cushion in the sofa or under the pillow on the bed. Maybe I can glue an AirTag a the back of her iPhone case. Then I could use my son's iPhone to find her phone!
Activating find my iPhone will trigger an audible sound even if the phone is set to vibrate
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
Activating find my iPhone will trigger an audible sound even if the phone is set to vibrate
I can't get to the Find My page on my browser though... because it will pop up a message on her iPhone asking to display the 2-factor authentication code! Her apple id is not used for any other devices. Now that I am thinking about it. If she really lost her iPhone, how would I find it? I need to google it.

EDIT: Okay it seems like instead of going to icloud.com, if you go to icloud.com/find it will not ask for 2-factor auth... Have to try it.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:26 pm

I can't get to the Find My page on my browser though... because it will pop up a message on her iPhone asking to display the 2-factor authentication code! Her apple id is not used for any other devices. Now that I am thinking about it. If she really lost her iPhone, how would I find it? I need to google it.

EDIT: Okay it seems like instead of going to icloud.com, if you go to icloud.com/find it will not ask for 2-factor auth... Have to try it.
If you set up family sharing, her devices will show up in your find my list and vice versa.

-David
Old May 16, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Having battery-laden electronic items inside checked-in luggage may increase the chance of the TSA opening up the checked-in luggage for inspection looking for it. Just something to keep in mind when it comes to placing AirTags in checked-in luggage.

For how long or in what interval will the AirTags keep beeping inside checked luggage before it causes an issue? And if the thing is beeping, then who knows what some may do with the luggage.

If the AirTags being used in checked-in luggage aren't easily seen, easily accessible and easily removable and the screeners are looking for an alerting item, then who knows what happens next.
All our luggage has Tile Pro trackers. In my admittedly limited experience with this neither the tracker nor the metal cables I use to attach them seem to draw any interest from TSA. The trackers are attached to hopefully remain on top--if I need to trigger the noisemaker I want as little material as possible in the way. I'd like some sort of bracket that glues in place and holds the tracker to ensure it's at the outer edge.

Originally Posted by draver
A word of caution, the range I'm experiencing with Airtags after a week is within 50 feet or so. Reports are that if in motion that may be reduced. That is one reason I'm trying out the Tile Pro trackers also. Their advertised range is "Up To" 400 feet and I have seen in excess of 100' or so on occasion. They also are much louder when you trigger a tone.
My experience is that Tiles can be triggered from beyond the range they are passively tracked. I figure this is the phone not holding back when it sends out the call, but the trackers are much more concerned about power use and are using low energy bluetooth.

I still see myself going forward with both for luggage tracking, but it may be too early to tell. I really want to know my bag is on the plane/train/baggage cart if at all possible in my vicinity, or a thousand miles away. I read today that Tile is about to team up with Amazon for networking, but don't know exactly what that may bring to the equation.
I doubt either system will be able to see if checked baggage gets on your plane unless the airlines get in on the act and put receivers in the cargo holds.

What we all would like is a GPS tracker with a 1 year battery that will be effective indoors with no subscription fees. Not gonna happen.
I think the TrakDots were a good answer and at one point they offered a lifetime subscription. Unfortunately, the death of 2G killed them and nobody has come up with something similar.

Honestly, I think the precision tracking part of the Airtags is overrated. From all the videos I have seen, precision tracking kicks in around 25' to 30'. Unless it is a in a loud environment, or you are hearing impaired, you should be able to hear the sound (if you activated it) at that distance already. Precision tracking would actually come in very handy when my wife lost her phone in the house. She has it on vibrate mode, so even if I call her, the phone will only vibrate and not that strong if it is on a soft surface like between the cushion in the sofa or under the pillow on the bed. Maybe I can glue an AirTag a the back of her iPhone case. Then I could use my son's iPhone to find her phone!
Apple really should include AirTag functionality of some sort in their other devices. The finder only works when the device is turned on and what is the first thing a thief does? Turn it off.

And doesn't the finder ringer make noise even if the phone is on vibrate?
Old May 16, 2021, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And doesn't the finder ringer make noise even if the phone is on vibrate?
The Find My stuffs ringing up the lost phone does make the phone ring even if the phone is on silent/vibrate.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
If you set up family sharing, her devices will show up in your find my list and vice versa.

-David
My son is the only who objects to family sharing until he lost his iPhone at Copper Mountain. We tracked his iPhone to lost and found. Find my iPhone and share location can be turned on/off in location services.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:27 am

I have also confirmed that the "Play Sound" will ring an iPhone from Find My even if the phone has the ringer switched off and the phone is in Do Not Disturb mode. My 12 Pro Max shuts down to this setting every evening at 7 PM and switches back on at 5 AM. Of course you need another device with Find My or the desktop version available to trigger the service.

I have settled on traveling with an Airtag and a Tile Pro trackers for the maximum bang for the buck and service. Airtag 4 packs are $22.25 apiece with a VET discount, and I bought a 4 pack of sealed, 2020 Tile Pros on Ebay for $69, shipped. So for less than $40 per bag I get the local range of Tile Pro, and features of Find My from Airtags. I am anxious to see what improvements to the Tile network (If Any) come about when the Sidewalk system from Amazon begins on June 14th. It may be a game changer for Tile, and hopefully fills in their limited locator network.

Edited to add a link to a recent article regarding Amazon Sidewalk:
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/...mazon-sidewalk

Last edited by draver; May 17, 2021 at 8:45 am
Old May 17, 2021, 2:05 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Tile Pro is tied to their Tile Pro subscription service?
Old May 17, 2021, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
Tile Pro is tied to their Tile Pro subscription service?
No. The Tile Pro is a bit bigger, a bit louder and it has a longer range. I have a bunch of them and no subscription.

They also have the slim and the sticker, both with a 3-year non-replaceable battery and an IP68 rating, vs IP55 for the ones with replaceable batteries.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:47 pm

Also a slightly smaller, similar version of the Pro, the Tile Mate. It has a replaceable CR1632 battery, 200 ft. range and a button to ring the phone. Square and flat like the Pro but all plastic and not quite as large. It does have a hole punch in one corner like the Pro.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
No. The Tile Pro is a bit bigger, a bit louder and it has a longer range. I have a bunch of them and no subscription.

They also have the slim and the sticker, both with a 3-year non-replaceable battery and an IP68 rating, vs IP55 for the ones with replaceable batteries.
Originally Posted by draver
Also a slightly smaller, similar version of the Pro, the Tile Mate. It has a replaceable CR1632 battery, 200 ft. range and a button to ring the phone. Square and flat like the Pro but all plastic and not quite as large. It does have a hole punch in one corner like the Pro.
Yeah, the Mate is the baseline, I was presenting the other options they have.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:26 pm

I'm left wondering if there will be any "New & Improved!" versions of the Tile devices to debut with the rollout of the Sidewalk service. There seems to be quite a few Ring cameras that can enhance the Tile network, not to mention however many other security cameras and locksets that will be part of Sidewalk. It would seem like a perfect time for Tile to bounce back from the Airtag introduction. I have my fingers crossed that soon could be the salad days for small, cheap, efficient trackers.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:13 am
Suspended

Won’t there be some way to make Airtags work with Amazon’s Sidewalk?

Will all Ring camera devices work to track Tiles? I would have guessed that some would feed into Sidewalk but others wouldn’t.

I’m not a big fan of Ring, as they are slow to even roll out end-to-end encryption and have as part of their model things that are privacy-eroding and even fuel prejudices driven by community user input. Apple wins on the privacy front, but let’s see how long it is until Apple tries to get into the home/office security business too.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:04 am
Suspended

One key difference: Tile trackers break more easily than AirTags when stepped on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.