Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Need
If Tile is lowered to half the price of AirTag, I will still probably get AirTag.
If you aren't a tile user now, you probably aren't going to become one.

I've been a tile and iOS user for years. It's a good product. Just mainly use it on my keys and an SSD drive. But it also works as a "find my" device on all your devices.

-David
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by exp
So actually AirTags will chirp if it's separated from it's main iPhone or iOS device for a certain amount of time.
The screenshots show that you select a name or type of device for each tag. My guess is you can probably turn that on or off per tag.

-David
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The AirTags "anti-stalking" feature is to audibly alarm on the tags upon 3 days of tracking, but that can be updated by Apple for something other than 3 days.

Apple has been saying that it is fine to use AirTags to keep track of pets, but not to keep track of children. To keep track of children, Apple suggests Apple watches and using the Family feature with Apple WatchOS devices.

Originally Posted by exp
Would be nice if you can turn off the audible warnings and let it operate in stealth mode.
All that requires with Tile is to choose to settings so as to not trigger the audible warnings. I don't know what would be considered stealth mode with these kind of things since they emit signals that can be tracked unless managed such as to have them subject to an effective Faraday cage effect -- but then the tag can't be tracked until the Faraday cage effect is no longer effective.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 22, 2021 at 12:46 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:42 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
TheVerge tried an experiment, sent a guy out with just an AirTag, but no other devices.

He went to a corner with no foot traffic.

So his signal was intermittent as cars with someone having an iPhone drove by the corner.

But yeah, if he stayed out there 3 days and started moving, it would chirp.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Ordered mine. Can’t wait for it to start beeping on the ramp...and then make them pull my bag for a check...then my bag misses the flight...oh the irony.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Ordered mine. Can’t wait for it to start beeping on the ramp...and then make them pull my bag for a check...then my bag misses the flight...oh the irony.
I don't think it beeps unless it is separated from your phone for a long time like 3 days? You could force it to beep but I don't think it just normally beeps itself just because it is not with you for less than a day. I wonder if it will work inside a rimowa luggage when it is surrounded by all metal.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:50 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

I ordered 4.

Some key chains from Amazon as well.

One for my $100 Fitbit is a start. Probably my camera bag? Still not sure about putting it in my checked suitcase.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by exp
I ordered 4.

Some key chains from Amazon as well.

One for my $100 Fitbit is a start. Probably my camera bag? Still not sure about putting it in my checked suitcase.
Did you get one of these key chains?

Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Did you get one of these key chains?

I would think four.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:29 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Cheap no name silicone ones on Amazon. Under $20 including tax for 6 of them.

I don't know how they will fit or the quality of them so I got two different kinds.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need
I don't think it beeps unless it is separated from your phone for a long time like 3 days? You could force it to beep but I don't think it just normally beeps itself just because it is not with you for less than a day. I wonder if it will work inside a rimowa luggage when it is surrounded by all metal.
And wait until someone leaves one of these in the office/workplace and goes away for 4-6 days or more. Or if it's in a bag that ends up not getting reunited with the owner for a 4+ days.

Maybe someone has a timely opportunity to see how Tile works when inside one of the more traditional metal Rimowa suitcases.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And wait until someone leaves one of these in the office/workplace and goes away for 4-6 days or more. Or if it's in a bag that ends up not getting reunited with the owner for a 4+ days.

Maybe someone has a timely opportunity to see how Tile works when inside one of the more traditional metal Rimowa suitcases.
I think it'll only beep if moved. If you leave one in your desk in an open-plan office, it shouldn't beep unless someone is rifling through your desk.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I think it'll only beep if moved. If you leave one in your desk in an open-plan office, it shouldn't beep unless someone is rifling through your desk.
That sort of presupposes that people aren't sharing desk space and that someone cleaning/rearranging the place after hours doesn't have the AirTag getting bumped/moved for legitimate reasons. And what about when the vacationing office worker's kid starts playing around on the parent's iPhone/iPad and remotely triggering the tag? This (latter) kind of stuff already happens at times with Tile and the Tile app being used, so I guess it will happen more with AirTags mainstreaming this kind of stuff on a more widespread level.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:56 am

I ordered 4 yesterday, splitting an order with my son in law. I'm trying to think of ways to disguise or hide them in my luggage and elsewhere. I'd prefer they not be easily ID'ed once the word gets around that they are in use by the general public. I was hoping they were the same size as the Princess Cruise Lines "Medallion" NFC devices in use on their cruise ships but the Apple version is 1.26" and Princess, 1.10". Princess gives you a little badge type carrier that would have been handy and deceptive at first glance.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I think the 3-day delay on the audible alarm will be sufficient to allow air travelers to place these AirTags in their checked luggage (or any item separated from them during travel) and be reunited with them in time. Of course, in the case of delayed bags, all bets are off. I once had a bag on IB that was mistakenly sent to Menorca, and it sat there for over a week until somebody found it and re-routed it to JFK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.