Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

So - Am I a criminal?

So - Am I a criminal?

Old Apr 8, 21, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So - Am I a criminal?

Got a new phone (Galaxy A21). Took it to the store (Boost) and they set me up with a new sim, phone number, etc.

I've been using WhatsApp to communicate with my trainer in the UK. So far, just messages.

As part of the job, I opened an account with one of the local bitcoin ATMs (coinbase). I provided the data and they opened an account. Five minutes later I got a message from them saying I was blacklisted. What ???

So, this morning, I turn on the phone to WhatsApp, and I get a message that I have been banned from the app. Hmmm

I'm thinking the phone number they gave me is reused, and the previous owner was some sort of criminal or something. Now, since I have that number, I'm the bad guy.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them?
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apparently, these companies keep a "hot list" of known bad guys (drug dealers, etc.) and they don't want them using their app for nefarious communications. Or something like that.

Anyhow, I went to the store (on-line robotic help is pretty useless) and the guy remembered me. He called his help people, and they said sure - but it costs fifteen bucks. He said "OK, thanks" and proceeded to get a new number for me for free. The old apps work again, just have to change the number.

PITA, but presumably it's done now. Does anyone know if these outfits actually keep track of bad numbers, or did I just fall into some sort of cell phone black hole?
Spoiler

Old Apr 8, 21, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
So...get a new phone number?
Old Apr 8, 21, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
So...get a new phone number?
Originally Posted by BigLar View Post
He said "OK, thanks" and proceeded to get a new number for me for free. The old apps work again, just have to change the number.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I think we posted at more or less the same time!
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At any rate, things are not working. WhatsApp doesn't seem to accept that my number has changed and I can't make it do so. I guess I can delete it (how does one delete an app?) and re-install it.

As I've said before (with a muffled sob in my voice) I'm great with computers but pretty much at sea when it comes to smartphones. And no one in the house can help me. I guess I'll just have to slog my way through this.

Ah, late-life-learning.
Old Apr 9, 21, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Plot twist: BigLar kept the old number and now brokers 8-figure international coke deals as a side hustle.
Old Apr 9, 21, 9:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
At any rate, things are not working. WhatsApp doesn't seem to accept that my number has changed and I can't make it do so. I guess I can delete it (how does one delete an app?) and re-install it.

As I've said before (with a muffled sob in my voice) I'm great with computers but pretty much at sea when it comes to smartphones. And no one in the house can help me. I guess I'll just have to slog my way through this.

Ah, late-life-learning.
Try deleting the app data first. Go to Setting | Apps | WhatsApp | Storage | Clear data

If that doesn't work, press and hold the WhatsApp icon. A menu will pop up. Click X Uninstall.
Old Apr 9, 21, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Try deleting the app data first. Go to Setting | Apps | WhatsApp | Storage | Clear data

If that doesn't work, press and hold the WhatsApp icon. A menu will pop up. Click X Uninstall.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Meanwhile, I had another contact on my list (my son) so I checked with him and everything's working fine. Hmmm.

The guy in England I've been chatting with does not respond - tried to send a simple SMS message, and was told that number is blocking messages. Hmmm.

Emailed his supervisor (in NY) several times. No response. Hmmm.

Starting to think it's all a scam, though I never gave out any sensitive financial data and my accounts are still intact, so I dunno. Still, I'd sure like to get a response from somebody to let me know what the h... is going on.
Old Apr 9, 21, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Plot twist: BigLar kept the old number and now brokers 8-figure international coke deals as a side hustle.
Shhhh! You wanna get me killed??
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If an app-removal-and-reinstallation combined with a phone number/operator and/or ISP/IP address change don't work, then consider the following:

Having a blacklisted ESN or IMEI (or even MAC address at times) can lead to results sort of like this with some services. While a pre-owned device being used by suspected nefarious actors can lead to such situations, it can also happen with new devices that have never been used before but where the questionable characters have used generated/acquired ESNs/IMEIs and used them/flashed them over onto other devices that were used for suspected nefarious purposes before being blocked in one or more way.

Doesn't WhatsApp have a spammer blacklist?

If the UK contact has blocked you, try to avoid sending future messages to that or other contacts which may have blocked you.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 10, 21 at 6:38 am
Old Apr 10, 21, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Shhhh! You wanna get me killed??
Nah, just waiting for the ERTs of the DEA, FBI, CBP and who knows who else (NPS?) to raid your home live on prime time news.
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The guy in England I've been chatting with does not respond - tried to send a simple SMS message, and was told that number is blocking messages. Hmmm.
By default, WhatsApp tells you when a message has been delivered and read.

Initially it will show one tick/checkmark in grey/gray. Then it shows 2 grey ticks when it's been delivered. Both ticks turn blue when the message has been read.
Old Apr 10, 21, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
By default, WhatsApp tells you when a message has been delivered and read.

Initially it will show one tick/checkmark in grey/gray. Then it shows 2 grey ticks when it's been delivered. Both ticks turn blue when the message has been read.
Yeah, but I wasn't sending it through WhatsApp. He was not online, and I had gotten a message that he was blocking ordinary messages (texts). In effect, he has become incommunicado.

I'm thinking that this little experiment has run its' course.
Old Apr 11, 21, 10:50 am

Ah, late-life-learning.
Did they change the number without changing your SIM? If so, try turning off your phone, take out your sim. Turn it back on, re-insert your sim. Then start Whatsapp and see if it will recognize your new number. People do it all the time when they travel to a different country. They change to a local sim and Whatsapp will recognize the number change and keep you in all the groups that you were in. Other people will see your new number so they don't have to re-add you to the group.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: