Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Office 365 and iOS Tech Support

Old Apr 3, 21, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just started a new job (yay!) in consulting again. My new firm's IT department is much more advanced and restrictive than I'm used to. We need to use the Microsoft InTune app to let IT control company data on our phone. This is resulting in an issue I'm not sure how to solve so I'm hoping someone might have an idea (else I'll just ask IT on Monday).

The restrictions in place prevent me from adding my company email account to my phone using the system settings. I can only use the mobile Outlook app. This is fine; I like the mobile app. But what I can't figure out is how to get a unified view of my work and personal Gmail calendar in one place. At previous employers I used Outlook for email/contacts/calendar but also added the account to the phone's system settings and just enabled contacts and calendars. I can't do that now.

I have added my Gmail calendar's private link to my work account on office.com. It shows up as a separate calendar on desktop Outlook, but it doesn't show in the mobile app.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old Apr 3, 21, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually, it seems to have resolved itself and I have no idea why. My Gmail calendar suddenly shows up in mobile Outlook.
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:27 pm

MS mobile apps IME are erratic, unpredictable, unreliable and clunky. Teams is the worst offender, but the others aren’t much better.
Old Apr 14, 21, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I actually really like mobile Outlook and Teams. They work, have nice clean interfaces, and are surprisingly feature rich.
Old Apr 15, 21, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Teams starts off decent but I hate how it creates and preserves chat channels from each individual meeting/series. After a few months I had literally hundreds of them and information was scattered to the winds.
Old Apr 16, 21, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Teams starts off decent but I hate how it creates and preserves chat channels from each individual meeting/series. After a few months I had literally hundreds of them and information was scattered to the winds.
Unfortunately there is no graceful way to do this. The free version of hangouts for example archives it to your Gmail account. Whatsapp doesn't delete either. Wechat also consumes copious amounts of space...
Old Apr 16, 21, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
Unfortunately there is no graceful way to do this. The free version of hangouts for example archives it to your Gmail account. Whatsapp doesn't delete either. Wechat also consumes copious amounts of space...
My preference is that it doesn't. Like Webex, GoToMeeting, etc. Because then that forces people to take anything they want to last into more established, permanent channels.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 16, 21 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 16, 21, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
My preference is that is doesn't. Like Webex, GoToMeeting, etc. Because then that forces people to take anything they want to last into more established, permanent channels.
Fair enough. I don't see why they don't have toggles for this (should be relatively easy enough to implement) that are by default are on and then to not keep/monitor, turn off. (Maybe have a master toggle set to on by default and just flip that off during setup)
Old Apr 18, 21, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I actually really like mobile Outlook and Teams. They work, have nice clean interfaces, and are surprisingly feature rich.
Not in my experience. Outlook is better than most of the MS Apps, but Teams is absolutely awful. It often crashes for no reason. Like many things, this could be dependent on the implementation and that might be the reason for a difference in how people view its performance.
Old Apr 18, 21, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986 View Post
Not in my experience. Outlook is better than most of the MS Apps, but Teams is absolutely awful. It often crashes for no reason. Like many things, this could be dependent on the implementation and that might be the reason for a difference in how people view its performance.
After the latest revision of Teams, I'm likely to agree. So many changes which hobble the productivity gains a redesign might have found. I don't have the crashing issue, but just certain features drive me nuts. Beyond one on one calls and the file repository (and wiki) features, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
sapman986 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 21, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by sapman986 View Post
in over a year of using the Teams App multiple hours a day, I’ve never once had it crash. Are you using the web version? If so, it’s probably your browser.

What I like about Teams,
-Ability to seamlessly move calls from iOS app to desktop (windows or MacOS).
-Chat function where you can save files,..and still use said chat after the meeting to share any updates with participants.
-Breakout rooms - this is fantastic for breaking up big groups group exercises.
-Ability to mute other participants (great when someone who’s not talking’s dog starts barking)
-Excellent integration with Outlook (and other MS Apps, like Streams where you can auto record a video of your meeting)
-Works great for remote controlling another users computer. (With their permission of course)
-The O365 version is updated regularly with new features. (Breakout rooms is a recent add)

Cons:
I really can’t really think of any. Maybe its cost compared to others? I don’t really know since our Enterprise pays for it. I think we pay around 10€ per user per month for O365.

For Windows/iOS users Teams is the best thing out there. Webex (is that even still a thing?) is a joke. GoToMeeting is now owned by the logmein cabal that killed off free LastPass (<- yes I’m biased against them now). I suspect GoToMeeting will be “Kodaked” like Webex. Zoom might be great for education, but they’ve been caught lying to users about end to end encryption. Also it’s partially developed in China which in and of itself wouldn’t be an issue, but they have been caught censoring zoom meetings deemed harmful to the CCP. I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re discussing IP.
Old Apr 25, 21, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
in over a year of using the Teams App multiple hours a day, Iíve never once had it crash. Are you using the web version? If so, itís probably your browser.

No, I have not been using a web version and it is definitely not my browser.

Iíve used Teams for the last four years in three clients. It has been awful at each client. Iím glad youíve had a good experience with it. I have not. It may work well in some situations, but it absolutely does not work in all.
Old Apr 26, 21, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
in over a year of using the Teams App multiple hours a day, Iíve never once had it crash. Are you using the web version? If so, itís probably your browser.

What I like about Teams,
-Ability to seamlessly move calls from iOS app to desktop (windows or MacOS).
-Chat function where you can save files,..and still use said chat after the meeting to share any updates with participants.
-Breakout rooms - this is fantastic for breaking up big groups group exercises.
-Ability to mute other participants (great when someone whoís not talkingís dog starts barking)
-Excellent integration with Outlook (and other MS Apps, like Streams where you can auto record a video of your meeting)
-Works great for remote controlling another users computer. (With their permission of course)
-The O365 version is updated regularly with new features. (Breakout rooms is a recent add)

Cons:
I really canít really think of any. Maybe its cost compared to others? I donít really know since our Enterprise pays for it. I think we pay around 10Ä per user per month for O365.

For Windows/iOS users Teams is the best thing out there. Webex (is that even still a thing?) is a joke. GoToMeeting is now owned by the logmein cabal that killed off free LastPass (<- yes Iím biased against them now). I suspect GoToMeeting will be ďKodakedĒ like Webex. Zoom might be great for education, but theyíve been caught lying to users about end to end encryption. Also itís partially developed in China which in and of itself wouldnít be an issue, but they have been caught censoring zoom meetings deemed harmful to the CCP. I wouldnít recommend it if youíre discussing IP.
I agree with all this. Teams is great (though I have to use it for now on a client's virtual desktop and it is definitely not great on a virtual desktop...audio cuts out a lot).
Old Apr 26, 21, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I agree with all this. Teams is great (though I have to use it for now on a client's virtual desktop and it is definitely not great on a virtual desktop...audio cuts out a lot).
It's interesting you say that. The fallback for many of our clients is webex. But since we have to use XenApp or a Citrix VDI for many of them, my teammates and I have to dial in on top of joining the webex session as the audio doesn't seem to carry over the Citrix connection. We haven't tried Teams over Citrix (yet) but good to know we might have to dial in on that as well.
Old Apr 26, 21, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
It's interesting you say that. The fallback for many of our clients is webex. But since we have to use XenApp or a Citrix VDI for many of them, my teammates and I have to dial in on top of joining the webex session as the audio doesn't seem to carry over the Citrix connection. We haven't tried Teams over Citrix (yet) but good to know we might have to dial in on that as well.
If I turn on my webcam, the audio cuts out almost always. If I leave the webcam off, either others will suddenly be unable to hear me or I'll be unable to hear them. In either case, I have to leave the meeting and rejoin.

The good news is that the client is sending me a laptop...hopefully soon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: