Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

has anyone found a true noise cancelling microphone/headset?

Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Hi all, I searched a bit and couldn't find anything recent. I'm looking for something that would completely eliminate anything but my voice, that I could use in an airport, so it would block out overhead announcements and the like.

I'm not a tech person so this may be an impossible ask, I don't know. Just thought I would inquire. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Have a look at this :-

Looking for noise-cancelling microphone/headphones
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ear part is completely impossible--there is no way to build anything over the ears that gives more than IIRC 32db of noise rejection (it varies somewhat by frequency)--the problem is that's what goes through the head instead.

I don't believe the microphone part could be done, either--even if you accepted a system that put the mic at a truly fixed position relative to your head you would still have sound reflecting off your face. There are also theoretical limits on focusing that mean as you get a narrower angle of observation the object doing it must be bigger. I don't know how much effect this has on microphones. (Which is why radio astronomers like to play with two dishes on opposite sides of the world--they get a much more accurate picture when their "receiver" is 8000 miles across. It's still a major undertaking to play the same games at visual frequencies, though.)
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The ear part is completely impossible--there is no way to build anything over the ears that gives more than IIRC 32db of noise rejection (it varies somewhat by frequency)--the problem is that's what goes through the head instead.

I don't believe the microphone part could be done, either--even if you accepted a system that put the mic at a truly fixed position relative to your head you would still have sound reflecting off your face. There are also theoretical limits on focusing that mean as you get a narrower angle of observation the object doing it must be bigger. I don't know how much effect this has on microphones. (Which is why radio astronomers like to play with two dishes on opposite sides of the world--they get a much more accurate picture when their "receiver" is 8000 miles across. It's still a major undertaking to play the same games at visual frequencies, though.)
I wonder if the problem of your ear part could help solve the mic part. If someone could design a headphone that could pick up the vibration of your skull (or echo on your ear drum) when you talk, then only those sound that had a matching echo (with the proper delay) would be filtered and go thru.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
I wonder if the problem of your ear part could help solve the mic part. If someone could design a headphone that could pick up the vibration of your skull (or echo on your ear drum) when you talk, then only those sound that had a matching echo (with the proper delay) would be filtered and go thru.
I would be amazed if that worked as the sound is generated at multiple locations in your body. What arrives at a pickup on the back of your head will not be lined up exactly the same as what a mic in front of you picks up. Also, the component that comes from the vocal cords would be louder relative to the component that comes from the lips.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone

A very cheap example

Amazon Amazon
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I would be amazed if that worked as the sound is generated at multiple locations in your body. What arrives at a pickup on the back of your head will not be lined up exactly the same as what a mic in front of you picks up. Also, the component that comes from the vocal cords would be louder relative to the component that comes from the lips.
It could have software calibration matching your voice picked up from mic and the vibration. On that thought, software should be able to isolation your voice alone and duplicate it as output. It just need a very fast processor, advance sound recognition, and exact sound replication! I will give it 5 to 10 years. In 10 to 20 years, I think it could pick up your voice and translates it in a different language in your own voice. I don't think it is science fiction anymore. It seems very doable.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:42 am

From the reviews, it seems like a "fake" throat mic. Probably just a regular mic located at your throat.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Need
From the reviews, it seems like a "fake" throat mic. Probably just a regular mic located at your throat.
Could be, just the first hit on search. The fact still remains, that throat mics are the solution for OT's question.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Hi all, I searched a bit and couldn't find anything recent. I'm looking for something that would completely eliminate anything but my voice, that I could use in an airport, so it would block out overhead announcements and the like.

I'm not a tech person so this may be an impossible ask, I don't know. Just thought I would inquire. Thanks!
What device are you using? There are apps out there to do it, however there is still some bleed... Usually at the very beginning of you speaking and only for a fraction of a second. One of my colleagues uses one. Not sure which but we still hear his kids at the very beginning of him speaking or when they shout loud enough. Try krisp.io as an example.

Personally, I wish they would install the phone booths I have seen in various places. It's usually the physical movements that are more distracting than the noise for me.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm looking for something that would completely eliminate anything but my voice, that I could use in an airport, so it would block out overhead announcements and the like.
Iirc, the max theoretical noise reduction through your ears is about 36-38dB. The best earplugs can do 33dB (I use Leigh Max-1s). Cover them with the best 31dB muffs (3M X5s), you get 36db. Anything not exclusively designed for the purpose won't come close to this. Any active noise cancellation also won't come close to this.

Even if you do your best to block the passage through your ear, your entire skull conducts vibrations to the small bones, fluid, and nerve impulses inside your ear. You'd need to wear something like a padded motorcycle helmet to get further reduction.

After that, your entire body is a conductor, so you'd need to build a soundproof box around your body to cut the rest of the noise.

If I need to be listening to something, I've always found that noise blocking earphone (currently using Etymotic ER-4s), to be the best solution over any active NC muffs.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 28, 2021 at 9:16 pm
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Anyone remember the popular Jawbone Bluetooth earpiece from about 10 years ago? That thing was pretty insane, I was mowing the lawn on a call and nobody could hear the mower, just my clear voice. Super weird. Wouldn't help you on the listen side, however, Maybe you could get some IEM like the Shure with the yellow foam that would cut 30-33db on the listening side and find a Jawbone type microphone. That would be the closest you could get.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Do you have a friend that's a pilot where you could borrow their ANR aviation headset to try? It's not going to cut as much as a bone conduction mic, but they are designed for use in noisy environments. I used my Bose A20 on a call earlier today in a running airplane at about 90dB+, with no issues hearing or being heard. I'm not sure they would be as effective in cancelling other noises, though.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:00 pm

Has anyone tried this? the promo videos seem impressive.
https://www.headsetbuddy.com/cm3505-...for-bose-qc35/
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vletnguyen
Has anyone tried this? the promo videos seem impressive.
https://www.headsetbuddy.com/cm3505-...for-bose-qc35/
I havent tried that one, but it looks very much like the uflymike thats been out for years for pilots.

https://uflymike.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.