High-power PD car chargers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-power PD car chargers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but Lenovo makes a 65W 12 volt to USB-C power adapter. It has a short input cord with a standard 12V accessory plug connected to the small power adapter brick connected to a 6' USB-C cable. It is larger than just an adapter outlet plug, but unlike many of those, it will charge a laptop at about the same rate as a standard 65 Watt AC Adapter. Very will built and the power output is well regulated. About $60 USD so not inexpensive, and not small, but many of our teams make room in their travel kits for these.

Lenovo 65W USB-C DC Adapter

Interesting. I like it, but for my current work (older Surface) and personal (a small ASUS) laptops, there are no USB-C PD inputs so I have adapters that have a C plug on one end and the power connection or tip for that particular machine at the other. For my next laptop, where I suspect almost everything but low power machines will be running with PD inputs, I'll keep this concept in mind.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I recently upgraded to
this PWR+ car charger this PWR+ car charger
when I switched from the 13" to the 16" MBP. It seems to work well for me FWIW despite only going up to 90W (vs. the 96W charging brick that comes with the 16"). I imagine there are likely other ones by now that let you use any cable you'd like, though.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I know both Aukey and Anker have plug-in car chargers, bur I haven't seen anything from them yet delivering PD above 36W. That's great for phones and tablets, but I'm looking at units that might let me recharge a computer during longer drives.
This might be a silly question, but wouldn't the charging just take longer with a 36w rather than a 55w or 60w? If you're spending the time in the car it wouldn't matter if it took 40% longer would it?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:08 pm

Oops, I missed the ‘high-powered’ part of the title... seems to be no trusted brands I’ve seen; maybe that Baseus one (max 45W output on USB-C) or Wirecutter’s Nekteck 45W selection.

Still, 30W (@ the required 15V / 20V output) would charge a 100W laptop battery ~30% in 1hr vs ~50% from 45W, which can be >2-3hrs of use.

——————————————————————————
USB-PD compatibility is mostly* about the possible voltage outputs/inputs — 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V and/or 20V (with a possible max of up to 3A, or 5A@20V); laptops normally require 15V or more commonly 20V output.

Anker’s 36W dual USB-C port options seem to not do 15V or 20V, each port outputs a max of 9V/2A or 12V/1.5A = 18W (where 36W comes from 18W x2).

However, I since found that some Anker USB-C w/-A chargers do offer 30W max @ 20V charging via the USB-C port:
https://www.anker.com/ca/products/va...--duo/A22270F1
https://www.anker.com/ca/products/va...arger/A2229011

Aukey has less selection, but the CC-A4 (listed on Aukey Malaysia’s site but available on Amazon) lists 30W max @ 20V through one USB-C port:
Amazon Amazon
https://www.aukey.life/products/cc-a...pd-car-charger

* Proper negotiation of the voltage between the charger & device is also important, though this should work if both fully follow the USB-PD specs.

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 21, 2021 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.