Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

WhatsApp changing terms and conditions

WhatsApp changing terms and conditions

Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
In the context of the screenshot I posted, this is what "Data linked to you" means: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211970
Signal has to collect data linked to the user in order identify the recipient for message relays. The messaging app isn’t a TOR messenger. Their privacy statement for Signal is incomplete after reading the Apple link. I have no doubt Signal collects less than Facebook who collects information on non users.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by TGarza
Signal has to collect data linked to the user in order identify the recipient for message relays. The messaging app isn’t a TOR messenger. Their privacy statement for Signal is incomplete after reading the Apple link. I have no doubt Signal collects less than Facebook who collects information on non users.
I only had a quick look, but this may provide the answer:

Can Signal's servers see my Signal Profile?

The Signal service does not have any knowledge of the name you have chosen or the image you have set. Your profile information is end-to-end encrypted with a unique profile key that is securely shared via the same Signal Protocol messaging channel that already protects your conversations and calls.

ETA: Or maybe this helps:

Does Signal send my number to my contacts?
Signal does not send your phone number to anyone unless you send them a message or make a call to them. The Signal service does not have any knowledge of your contacts. Data is all owned by your phone. Registration notifications are never transmitted by anyone in any direction at all; these notifications are created by your phone.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I think the majority of the inertia is also influenced by ignorance/lack of knowledge of how the platforms work/pros/cons/etc. I think if the average Whatsapp user becomes informed then they would consider using Signal or a similar app.
Signal had such a big surge in users due to this Facebook change to WhatsApp that it has caused a Signal slowndown in parts:

Encrypted messaging app Signal faced big delays in verifying the phone numbers of new accounts on Thursday because of a sudden surge in people trying to join the platform.

In messages posted from its official Twitter account, the non-profit Signal Foundation said verification codes were delayed across several cellular networks, and that it was working through the backlog as quickly as it could.

Verification codes are currently delayed across several providers because so many new people are trying to join Signal right now (we can barely register our excitement). We are working with carriers to resolve this as quickly as possible. Hang in there. — Signal (@signalapp) January 7, 2021

While the issue is now said to have been resolved, the surge in Signal signups followed recent privacy policy changes highlighted by rival messaging platform WhatsApp.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/08...surge-signups/

Apparently Elon Musk and Edward Snowden have both been freshly pushing Signal app use in public. I am thankful for Brian Acton, WhatsApp's co-founder, for Signal now too.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Signal had such a big surge in users due to this Facebook change to WhatsApp that it has caused a Signal slowndown in parts:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/08...surge-signups/

Apparently Elon Musk and Edward Snowden have both been freshly pushing Signal app use in public. I am thankful for Brian Acton, WhatsApp's co-founder, for Signal now too.
Right. Maybe I should give Signal another try then. Although as per upthread, my iPhone is a bit older.
Only problem is now getting my Whatsapp people to move over... which I find akin to telling someone to adopt a different lifestyle (i.e. difficult, if not impossible, AF).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Right. Maybe I should give Signal another try then. Although as per upthread, my iPhone is a bit older.
Only problem is now getting my Whatsapp people to move over... which I find akin to telling someone to adopt a different lifestyle (i.e. difficult, if not impossible, AF).
Most of my most frequent WhatsApp communication counterparts for discussion are iMessage/Facetime users too. Many of them seem to use 3/4/5/6+ communication apps; some using 3+ such apps each and every day. With the ability of people to turn notifications on, it seems people are now more willing and able to have multiple apps in use running in the background than used to be the case, resistance to uptake of a new app may be down. Add in all the WFH and other remote communications going on with apps/applications that weren't being used by many users at this time last year, and it seems people really are more willing to "use it all" more than was the case even at this time last year. Hopefully this means Signal uptake increases a lot more now than would have otherwise been the case.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most of my most frequent WhatsApp communication counterparts for discussion are iMessage/Facetime users too. Many of them seem to use 3/4/5/6+ communication apps; some using 3+ such apps each and every day. With the ability of people to turn notifications on, it seems people are now more willing and able to have multiple apps in use running in the background than used to be the case, resistance to uptake of a new app may be down. Add in all the WFH and other remote communications going on with apps/applications that weren't being used by many users at this time last year, and it seems people really are more willing to "use it all" more than was the case even at this time last year. Hopefully this means Signal uptake increases a lot more now than would have otherwise been the case.
Ugh. I'm the 1% then... I have pared down to one messaging app (WhatsApp) and zero social media apps.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:58 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I've only used WA to communicate with hotels and B&Bs overseas, so that I didn't have to make an international call nor they had to in order to contact me.

IIRC, I registered only with my phone number. WA at the time didn't require that I log in with FB or anything.

Is that no longer the case with these new terms?

Or can WA still send data to FB and Messenger apps? Or these apps are able to identify each other on the same device and link phone numbers with FB IDs and such, even if you don't give permission to the apps to access address books and such?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
I've only used WA to communicate with hotels and B&Bs overseas, so that I didn't have to make an international call nor they had to in order to contact me.

IIRC, I registered only with my phone number. WA at the time didn't require that I log in with FB or anything.

Or can WA still send data to FB and Messenger apps? Or these apps are able to identify each other on the same device and link phone numbers with FB IDs and such, even if you don't give permission to the apps to access address books and such?
I don't even have an FB account... so if I'm forced to get one this might be the deal breaker for me.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by exp

It's a long read, but the terms of service are worth a look to see if you are comfortable with them, this might help a little though:

Businesses On WhatsApp. Businesses you interact with using our Services may provide us with information about their interactions with you. We require each of these businesses to act in accordance with applicable law when providing any information to us.
  • When you message with a business on WhatsApp, keep in mind that the content you share may be visible to several people in that business. In addition, some businesses might be working with third-party service providers (which may include Facebook) to help manage their communications with their customers. For example, a business may give such third-party service provider access to its communications to send, store, read, manage, or otherwise process them for the business. To understand how a business processes your information, including how it might share your information with third parties or Facebook, you should review that business’ privacy policy or contact the business directly.
  • Third-Party Service Providers. We work with third-party service providers and other Facebook Companies to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. For example, we work with them to distribute our apps; provide our technical and physical infrastructure, delivery, and other systems; provide engineering support, cybersecurity support, and operational support; supply location, map, and places information; process payments; help us understand how people use our Services; market our Services; help you connect with businesses using our Services; conduct surveys and research for us; ensure safety, security and integrity; and help with customer service. These companies may provide us with information about you in certain circumstances; for example, app stores may provide us with reports to help us diagnose and fix service issues.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I deleted WA ahead of the TOS changes (deleted FB coming up on 3 years ago) though Instagram is the one I can't delete so they've still got me there.

I started using WA extensively when I moved to an Android and coupled with international travel, WA was the best choice for communication. I've since moved back to an iPhone and everyone I know (and regularly chat with) has an iPhone as well so for now iMessage is sufficient, and will look at Signal down the line if we need something else.

Sad to see the demise of WA under the FB banner. I'm also reminded of the thread that brought WA to the FT community (well before I joined FT) and before Jan became a (many times over) billionaire:

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I only had a quick look, but this may provide the answer:

Can Signal's servers see my Signal Profile?

The Signal service does not have any knowledge of the name you have chosen or the image you have set. Your profile information is end-to-end encrypted with a unique profile key that is securely shared via the same Signal Protocol messaging channel that already protects your conversations and calls.

ETA: Or maybe this helps:

Does Signal send my number to my contacts?
Signal does not send your phone number to anyone unless you send them a message or make a call to them. The Signal service does not have any knowledge of your contacts. Data is all owned by your phone. Registration notifications are never transmitted by anyone in any direction at all; these notifications are created by your phone.
Thanks. The unique ID between the servers and the phone/device is the only information retained by Signal. I could see governments even the US government banning Signal.

My son will be in Heidelberg for a year of college. I will ask him about using this app to keep in contact since Google Voice hasn’t updated their privacy statements.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:00 am
Suspended

Signal, Telegram and Zoom seem to be the huge gainers from Facebook's WhatsApp privacy(-eroding) changes.

Signal (although not so much as with the following two), Telegram and Zoom have also seen gains from users upset about a mix of things that have gone on with Twitter, Facebook and other social media services.

What I find interesting is that Telegram is headquartered in Dubai in the UAE. The UAE is rather notorious for being paranoid about social media app use, even having a history of trying to block a variety of messaging apps and VOIP use. [I'm anything but very confident about "Dubai's 'free zone'" being really all that protective.]
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:23 am

The gains for Telegram are baffling to me. I get why people wouldn't want Zuck to have any more of their data than he already has, but switching to an app whose messages aren't always end-to-end encrypted and that is based in a country without a lot of respect for privacy makes no sense. It's like deciding you drink too much beer and switching to whiskey.

I suspect some of Telegram's gains may be former Parler users in the U.S., not just people bailing on WhatsApp.
GUWonder and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The gains for Telegram are baffling to me. I get why people wouldn't want Zuck to have any more of their data than he already has, but switching to an app whose messages aren't always end-to-end encrypted and that is based in a country without a lot of respect for privacy makes no sense. It's like deciding you drink too much beer and switching to whiskey.

I suspect some of Telegram's gains may be former Parler users in the U.S., not just people bailing on WhatsApp.
Yes, but shouldn't be all that baffling. Telegrams' gains are following in the wake of those who followed commentary about ISIS/Daesh followers' use of Telegram. Parler members had quite the discussions about ISIS/Daesh using Telegram and are of a group that were more typically focused on such news than the public at large in the US.

Signal's gains are most impressive. Brian Acton must be quite amazed at how much more traction the app has suddenly gained this year. I hope he's ready for all the rest of the growth later this year, as network effects follow from the January (and perhaps also February) user base boost.

It would be interesting to see the regional breakdown in Signal's user base growth this year.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My problem with Signal is that the synchronisation between iPhone and iPad is very poor, meaning I have to check both to ensure I have the complete message thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.