Wiki Posts
Search

Microsoft Laptop Go

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Microsoft Laptop Go

This seems to a perfect match for my needs but curious if others have any experience with it. I am looking at the 8 / 128 version. I realize it’s not top of the line performance but then again I do very little gaming on my laptop ;-)

Last edited by Braniff; Dec 30, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Braniff
This seems to a perfect match for my needs but curious if others have any experience with it. I am looking at the 8 / 128 version. I realize it’s not top of the line performance but then again I do very little gaming on my laptop ;-)
I read a review and it comes out OK. just make sure you don't go for the 64GB as it's too small, and eMMC rather than SSD. Even 128GB is quite small these days.

I think I'd pay a bit more for something like a Dell XPS 13 with 256GB NVMe drive.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
What are you going to use it for? Are there Microsoft programs you have to have? Or programs that only work on Windows?

I made the switch to a Chromebook last year and for 99% of what I want to do with it, it's great. I still have my desktop machine for those few things but I probably only use that 1 hr a month compared to the 25-30 I'm on the Chromebook.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Will defintely consider a microsoft made laptop although chromebooks as good as apple laptops for 1/10 the price.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Well, I did go ahead an buy it.

First impressions very good - it’s light, by far the lightest laptop I have had. Yet it has a good solid build and stylish - it’s not your typical office laptop. The feel of the keyboard is good with a nice response to hitting the keys. The picture/sound quality is fine - watched a Netflix movie on it. Zoom including lighting issues and virtual backgrounds work just fine.

A rather significant issue is that the Microsoft charging cable (or port) does not work, so I have been using the USB-C slot and an old Apple charger... Will contact Microsoft after the holidays.

I am very pleased with the purchase. I had looked at the Dell XPR 13 and it was too much performance for what I need. I always have had the feeling that I was buying laptops that were heavier/more cumbersome (and pricier) than necessary. I essentially use it to review Word documents and Powerpoints, email, and Zoom - with Netflix and web surfing...
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Braniff
Well, I did go ahead an buy it.

First impressions very good - it’s light, by far the lightest laptop I have had. Yet it has a good solid build and stylish - it’s not your typical office laptop. The feel of the keyboard is good with a nice response to hitting the keys. The picture/sound quality is fine - watched a Netflix movie on it. Zoom including lighting issues and virtual backgrounds work just fine.

A rather significant issue is that the Microsoft charging cable (or port) does not work, so I have been using the USB-C slot and an old Apple charger... Will contact Microsoft after the holidays.

I am very pleased with the purchase. I had looked at the Dell XPR 13 and it was too much performance for what I need. I always have had the feeling that I was buying laptops that were heavier/more cumbersome (and pricier) than necessary. I essentially use it to review Word documents and Powerpoints, email, and Zoom - with Netflix and web surfing...
Your outlook seems similar to mine. I have few needs for a high-powered laptop--I use mostly standard programs designed for the office worker, including email, word processing, internet, and video meetings (a new use in 2020 but likely here to stay). Dragon NaturallySpeaking is my most resource-intensive program so any machine I buy must be able to run that program. I've had no issues with that on my most recent machine, which is lightweight at about 2.2 pounds. I agree with your observation about a laptop's weight. I'm now firmly committed to buying no more hardware than I need because I've found that even the addition of a couple of pounds of weight seems a drag, especially when traveling.
Braniff likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The Surface has come a long way... I still have a first gen in good working order, but will probably get something like the Go this year.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I was looking at 8/256. It was tempting, but then the M1 MacBook Air landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.