Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for noise-cancelling microphone/headphones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looking for noise-cancelling microphone/headphones

Had a lot of trouble doing telecons form RV while on the road - background noise made it impossible for others to hear me.
Any advise on headset with good noise canceling microphone?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: *G
Microphones dont cancel sound really

It's about the directionality of what the microphone pickup - i.e. its polar pattern

https://blog.landr.com/microphone-polar-patterns/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/U...3/N/3681064896

If you're sitting static, you want the microphone to point at you and listen to just you and nothing else surrounding you or it
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have a read of this...

https://krisp.ai/blog/how-to-reduce-...se-microphone/

A friend of mine has a Rode microphone with a Lightening connector for his iPhone and swears by it.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:48 pm

I've been using the plantronics voyager 5200 for years as I hate holding the phone and dislike BT calling via car's system. This headset works wonders, the other person on the line does not hear the background noises (driving with windows down, chewing, washing dishes etc). I tried airpods, galaxy buds etc but I come back to this for calls. The others I use to listen to music, watch movies etc. With that said, I would like a two in one solution as well but have not found it.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Most headset with boom arm mic will only pick up your voice due to the proximity to the sound source and pick up pattern.
Question is: Do you need wireless, BlueTooth or just a standard 3.5mm jack into your computer.

Longhaul truck drivers swear by Blueparrots with their noise-cancelling mic technology. I use one with my phone when a quick audio or video recording is needed for prime time. It has a longer mic boom and is more noticeable than the Plantronics voyager 5200.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The interior of a RV is very "hard" with echo and reflection bouncing all over the place. A wired headset will be a great improvement over a table top mic or computer's built in mic.

Your lucky day as neighbors brought their trailer home to get ready for winter travels so I had a place to test in the RV on their driveway.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Most headset with boom arm mic will only pick up your voice due to the proximity to the sound source and pick up pattern.
Question is: Do you need wireless, BlueTooth or just a standard 3.5mm jack into your computer.

Longhaul truck drivers swear by Blueparrots with their noise-cancelling mic technology. I use one with my phone when a quick audio or video recording is needed for prime time. It has a longer mic boom and is more noticeable than the Plantronics voyager 5200.
Thanks!
i have plantronics with boom mic with a standard jack for laptop or android - that may explain why i was mostly ok but spouse making calls from jack-less iphone couldnt get anything done... need to look into bluetooth options eg 5200...
i did come across blueparrots and these below suggested for truckers
Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Thanks!
i have plantronics with boom mic with a standard jack for laptop or android - that may explain why i was mostly ok but spouse making calls from jack-less iphone couldnt get anything done... need to look into bluetooth options eg 5200...
https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-.../dp/B07K8Q212Q
Mine:
headset headset
Bought for $24 on Prime day about 3 or 4 yrs ago.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During ze Var, unser piloten used a 'throat mic' because of ze ambient noise (guns firing und all dat). Don't know if they still make them.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-.../dp/B07K8Q212Q
I have a Blueparrot (don't remember where/when I picked it up). It's supposed to work with bluetooth, but it didn't pair up right away. Since I don't have an immediate need for it, it's in my "to do (one of these days)" list.

Seems like a nice device and probably just what you would need.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
During ze Var, unser piloten used a 'throat mic' because of ze ambient noise (guns firing und all dat). Don't know if they still make them.
When you have unlimited budget, the "sky" is the limit.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:08 pm

So my plantronics 5200 just died when cleaned with toooo much lysol. I decided to try https://us.aftershokz.com/products/opencomm since its almost the same as the price of another plantronics voyager 5200 that I've been using for 5-6 years now. Purchased from Bestbuy with their promo ($20 off).

So far so good. Very light weight and a lot nicer for audio listening but seems to be canceling 85-90% of what the mic of the 5200 can do. I'll update in a few weeks of daily use.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I find my Bose NC700 to be perfect - the microphone is inside the headphones so as long as your phone is in BT range, you're good to go.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:39 pm

I picked up the Anker Soundcore Q30 for $109CDN. Punches way above its weight.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bokehman
I picked up the Anker Soundcore Q30 for $109CDN. Punches way above its weight.
Not bad. That logo almost looks like the beats logo for a second there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.