Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Technology

Amazon Dash Cameras

Amazon Dash Cameras

Old Oct 5, 20, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Yup. I've had one incident from the front in the pre-dashcam days. A dashcam would clearly have shown that she decided to jump in my lane.
So what's the verdict from the insurance companies?
Old Oct 6, 20, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
So what's the verdict from the insurance companies?
I've had no incidents where I needed it since I got it. Two accidents, one the gal that hit me had a stop sign (she stopped, just didn't look well enough) and one the gal that hit me backed into me. Since both were completely clear-cut there was nothing to prove.
Old Sep 4, 22, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need View Post
If you are looking for higher end dashcam, I know Blackvue is a good brand.
Originally Posted by bslsailor View Post
I'll second the BlackVue dashcams. I've gone thru several cheaper cams that eventually failed in the South Florida/Miami heat. The BlackVue has held up well for the past two years. It's small and unobtrusive.
I was looking at upgrading to a system that has both front and rear cameras--and I find a review of the Blackvue that says it runs very hot. I also find their auxiliary battery options insanely overpriced which makes me question their products.
Old Sep 5, 22, 7:46 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff View Post
I'll second this. I have a Rexing V1P that is hard wired and runs 24/7 through heat and cold, direct sun exposure, etc and it's never let me down. My current one has been installed for about 2 years now. The last one lasted about 2 years too, and it only died because I screwed up and plugged it into something that put out a lot more than the 5v USB power limit... it got a full 12v and fried.

The newer Rexing V1P Pro has a built in GPS Logger.
I'm looking at upgrading to this for the better rear camera and the fact you can transfer video directly to your phone without having to remove the SD card. The built in GPS would just be a bonus.
I also have Rexing V1P. I misunderstood the Amazon page when I bought it. I thought it would work with rear camera, also from Rexing, but it doesnt support a rear camera at all. I would need to\ buy a more expensive version of it to get the rear camera ability. I decided to forget that for now. I still have an older Rexing rear camera installed, but it doesnt work.
Old Sep 5, 22, 8:23 am

My dash cam saved me my deductible by proving I had the green light and the truck was running a red light at full speed. It is an older Amazon camera with the green light clearly visible. I emailed the recording to my insurance company who emailed the recording to the other insurance company. The other driver claimed I ran the red light.
Old Sep 13, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Exec
The Consumer Association in the UK rate Nextbase as the cream of the crop - their first 7 'Best Buys' are all Nextbase. I see an issue with Windscreen clutter. You can't put anything 'behind' the mirror on my Mazda - that's where all the camera are for auto headlight dipping etc. The transponder for French motorway driving (or Spanish/Portugese) live up there next to the mirror. The low emissions sticker that means you don't get fined for driving in Paris and other French cities takes up space, the heads up display takes space. I'm not saying it's a problem - but it's heading that way.
Old Sep 13, 22, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
I have an AUKEY DR02 and I'm very happy with it. I did purchase a suction cup ball mount and had to use some super glue to jerry rig it together, but it records very good quality, including at night. For a while this was a hot topic in the FlyerTalk Chat.

Make sure you get a high-quality SD card that can stand up to being overwritten time and time again.

-J.
Old Sep 14, 22, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; IHG/BW Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez
I have the Vantrue N1 Pro. It wasn't very expensive on Amazon and neither was installation. Now that I have some experience I'm going to replace it with one that has higher resolution and add a rear camera.

Search this Thread