Need to buy a TV

Old Jul 22, 20, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Need to buy a TV

Only 5 years ago, we purchased two Toshiba Regza's TVs.

The main CPU has blown on BOTH of these TV's ANNUALLY. (48 inch CPU 4 times, 43 inch CPU 5 times) They were on warranty for the first year and repair insurance for the past 4 years.

Two days ago, our 48 inch CPU suddenly stopped working and it is no longer covered by either insurance or warranty. It was been 5 years 3 months since purchasing these TVs brand new.
We are not going to pay the 70,000 yen ($700 USD approximately) to repair it. We have given up on Toshiba as a TV brand.

What brands are RELIABLE?
We are looking for a 4K, smart TV that is about 50-60 inch big.
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Obviously, not Toshiba.

If Japan has any cheap end TV, you should go for it. They are now not much difference from the major brands.

Try Costco as well.
Old Jul 22, 20, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I thought I posted this in Travel Technology. If moderators can move it, it would be great!!!
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:58 am

Are TVs that expansive in Japan?? With $700 US, you can by two Samsung or LG 50" 4K TVs here in the US! I have my last Samsung 55" 1080p LED TV for 10 years... only got rid of it because I upgraded to a Samsung 82" 4K QLED. I think Samsung TVs are pretty reliable.

If you want to buy "Japanese" TVs, I like Sony. We always had Sony TV in the family all the way back to 80's. I don't remember ever have to repair any of them. But those are old style trinitron TVs and rear projection TVs. Since LED, we only have Samsung.. not sure how Sony's LED TVs are.
Old Jul 22, 20, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I second the Samsung recommendation...I have a 40" Samsung that hasn't had any issues since buying it in 2008. We also have a 65" Samsung smart TV we bought a few years ago that works just fine.

Sony is also good. I'm surprised you had such trouble with your TVs.
ll22949 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Taiwaned View Post
Only 5 years ago, we purchased two Toshiba Regza's TVs.

The main CPU has blown on BOTH of these TV's ANNUALLY. (48 inch CPU 4 times, 43 inch CPU 5 times) They were on warranty for the first year and repair insurance for the past 4 years..
Toshiba quality must have gotten even worse, then. Bought a Regza ~11-13 years ago. First thing to go was the ribbon cables attached to the edge of the panel (seems it is/was a common problem with Korean-sourced LCD panels in the era). TV would work only when it was "warmed" up and the cable connection melded or whatever. Toshiba is scarcely a presence in the Canadian TV market now.
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Are TVs that expansive in Japan??
Market and distribution is controlled to ensure profits for small retailers, as well as manufacturers. Lots of things cost more in Japan than outside, for the virtually-identical product.

If you want to buy "Japanese" TVs, I like Sony. We always had Sony TV in the family all the way back to 80's. I don't remember ever have to repair any of them. But those are old style trinitron TVs and rear projection TVs. Since LED, we only have Samsung.. not sure how Sony's LED TVs are.
Sony TVs aren't what they used to be. IIRC half of Sony TVs manufactured in the past decade or so weren't manufactured by Sony and at one point Sony was even considering dropping out of the TV market. One debacle was the DLP-technology line.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jul 22, 20 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 22, 20, 2:09 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Obviously, not Toshiba.

If Japan has any cheap end TV, you should go for it. They are now not much difference from the major brands.

Try Costco as well.
My personal experience tells me with Panasonic you canīt go wrong.
But they are never the cheapest ...
Old Jul 22, 20, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I had a Sharp TV from 2007/2008 until very recently and it worked great. The power supply started getting flaky on it during all of the stay at home orders, unfortunately, causing it to randomly turn off.

Anyway, we now have a LG 55" C9 OLED (2019's model) purchased from Costco at a significant discount + free SquareTrade warranty and so far, so good. I also expect Costco and/or SquareTrade to do right by us if there are any issues over the next five years or so.
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Agree about Panasonic. I have an older 43" model (TX-43-HX940) - no trouble at all. Before getting this one, I had another Panasonic - one of the first LED-backlit models when these were new (and expensive), which served me well for a decade without any issues or repairs.
when I was a kid, we got out first color TV in 1978 - a Toshiba. That thing never needed any repairs in the quarter of a century it served in my parents' living room until it was replaced by an LCD...
Depending on your usage and viewing habits (bad:TV is tuned to CNN-type stations all day, or you play a lot of games on it), if you're primarily concerned about longevity and plan to keep your new unit for a long time, I`d stay away from anything with an OLED panel as image retention and burn-in could be an issue with this technology (this Forbes article sums it up pretty well)
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

They don't sell Samsung TV's in Japan, I don't think. (Yodobashi Camera, Yamada, BIC) and I am going to go to Joshin today.

We have narrowed our search to Sharp, National (Panasonic) and Sony. While you can purchase TVs at Costco, which is cheaper, if you include the disposal charge (In Japan, there is an electronic disposal charge) delivery and installation - it's not that much different than buying from a full-service dealer. (about 100 dollars difference for the same model). A full-service dealer will include disposal, delivery, installation and 5-year warranty/insurance.
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
Depending on your usage and viewing habits (bad:TV is tuned to CNN-type stations all day, or you play a lot of games on it), if you're primarily concerned about longevity and plan to keep your new unit for a long time, I`d stay away from anything with an OLED panel as image retention and burn-in could be an issue with this technology (this Forbes article sums it up pretty well)
Per this it seemed to have taken 5000-9000 hours (depending on content and TV settings) to start noticing issues. Of course, YMMV, especially depending on what you're watching as you mentioned. There are also various features (pixel refresher, auto-dimming of detected static elements, etc.) that can help prolong the life of an OLED TV too.
Old Jul 22, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Samsung in my experience are pretty reliable. Not a huge fan of Sharp or Toshiba. The new Sony's are nice and the Samsung QLED are very good quality.
But, if you truly want to have a great experience, nothing - NOTHING beats an LG OLED. they come in sizes from 40", 55", 65", 77" and up. Best TV's I have ever owned.

I pickup a squaretrade warranty on any item like this after purchase, costs very little and gets me to 4-5 years. Shop around for best deals.. but you will NOT look back after going with an OLED.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
Samsung in my experience are pretty reliable. Not a huge fan of Sharp or Toshiba. The new Sony's are nice and the Samsung QLED are very good quality.
But, if you truly want to have a great experience, nothing - NOTHING beats an LG OLED. they come in sizes from 40", 55", 65", 77" and up. Best TV's I have ever owned.

I pickup a squaretrade warranty on any item like this after purchase, costs very little and gets me to 4-5 years. Shop around for best deals.. but you will NOT look back after going with an OLED.
I am guessing if they don't sell Samsung TV in Japan... they are probably not going to sell LG either. I read that the Sony OLED are almost as good as LG's. I was picking between Samsung QLED and LG OLED but I can't justified the price of the OLED. The 77" LG OLED was $2+k more than my 82" Samsung QLED.
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I am guessing if they don't sell Samsung TV in Japan... they are probably not going to sell LG either. I read that the Sony OLED are almost as good as LG's. I was picking between Samsung QLED and LG OLED but I can't justified the price of the OLED. The 77" LG OLED was $2+k more than my 82" Samsung QLED.
Sony uses LG OLED panels, I think. And Sony used to have a joint factory with Samsung in Korea for their LED backlit LCD panels. In Japan I think the best you will find is a Sony then Panasonic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: