Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to buy a TV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Need
I am guessing if they don't sell Samsung TV in Japan... they are probably not going to sell LG either. I read that the Sony OLED are almost as good as LG's. I was picking between Samsung QLED and LG OLED but I can't justified the price of the OLED. The 77" LG OLED was $2+k more than my 82" Samsung QLED.
the Sony’’s use LG panels for their OLED lines. Yep, especially on the larger sizes, the price differential between Q LED and true OLED can get large, but I’ve had QLED and OLED in 55” and 65” sizes, and there still is truly a marked difference.. depth of contrast, black levels, and certainly off access viewing. OLED is king, but you pay for the crown.
Need likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Try Costco as well.
do note that you have costco in japan too. 90 day return policy,

not that convenient to go from tokyo central though

i think it's 66,800 yen until 7/30, 55" LG 4K IPS
eg: https://www.costco.co.jp/LG/LG-55-In...300PJF/p/14267

edit: sorry, didn't realize i submitted this way after Op responded... oh well

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 22, 2020 at 7:20 pm
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
We have narrowed our search to Sharp, National (Panasonic) and Sony.
I have one Sharp LCD that 's over ten years old and is still going strong. A newer one lasted only two years; it was cheaper to replace than fix (got a Samsung). A 2006 vintage Sony Bravia lasted us about ten years; however my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's, which they bought six to eight years ago, died after less than four years.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
OLED vs QLED

As others have mentioned, nothing currently beats the picture quality of OLED, whether LG or Sony (Sony OLED panels come from LG). "QLED" is not a technology, but an advertising label for a group of Samsung features, and is not related to OLED technology.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
LG Display is the world's only manufacturer of OLED display panels in TV sizes, all manufacturers of OLED TVs (have to) use them. But since picture processor and software differ, there's (slight) variations in picture quality between manufacturers.
With LG models, a good way to keep the price down is getting last years' model. The 2019 TVs have a '9' in the model designation (e.g. OLED-65C97LA). where the the 2020 models have an 'X' (e.g. OLED48CX9LB).
Myself, I`ve been waiting for OLEDs to appear in smaller sizes, and now that they are finally there but cost significantly more than their larger but older counterparts, I`ll wait another year to get prices down...
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:21 am

While OLED is beautiful, it's prone to burn-in and its longevity is questionable. I'll stick with LED. Sony top of the line Z9G is pretty good, it cost a lot though.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Taikucing
While OLED is beautiful, it's prone to burn-in and its longevity is questionable. I'll stick with LED. Sony top of the line Z9G is pretty good, it cost a lot though.
With Samsung getting ready to unleash Micro LED, I’m in no hurry to go out and buy OLED. Even if my TV broke today I’d get a cheap replacement LED TV to bridge the gap.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:20 am

OLED burn in fact check

Originally Posted by Taikucing
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-scr...d-to-know-now/

"Burn-in is possible with OLED, but not likely with normal use."

Love my LG OLED image quality.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
We ended up purchasing a SONY Bravia 55 inch OLED TV.

Samsung is not available in Japan.

Interestingly enough, the salesman said that the expected lifespan for a smart TV is only about 10 years before either the technology is really too old to keep up with all the things that are new / or some sort of major failure. That being said, five years is short even if it was a Toshiba.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:06 am

Interestingly enough, the salesman said that the expected lifespan for a smart TV is only about 10 years before either the technology is really too old to keep up with all the things that are new / or some sort of major failure. That being said, five years is short even if it was a Toshiba.
This is the salesman talk. I still love my Samsung plasma tv, Apple tv has most app which I need.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 am

SW, not HW, is what to worry about

In ten years, a computer's SW rather than the HW is more likely to be the problem. So is with the smart TVs.
nmenaker likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Exactly. Sony TVs use google's Android TV as an operating system. The update/app compatibility situation is the same as with smartphones: ten years of software support is wishful thinking... Sony recently confirmed that there won't be an update to Android 9(!) for most of it's 2017, 2018 and even some 2019 models due to hardware limitations - that means any owner of such a device will be stuck on an already obsolete OS version, and it's just a question of time before the first apps will cease to work.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere
In ten years, a computer's SW rather than the HW is more likely to be the problem. So is with the smart TVs.
10 years is quite a bit on TV's improvement even it does not break. The refresh rate, resolution, input standard, etc... My TVs 15 years ago were 720p, 60 Hz, with component cables input! They don't even have apps back then. They did have analog built in TV tuners which are obsolete now.

I think 10 years from today, the TVs will probably be 8K standard with something else other than HDMI input.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've had good luck with LG for cheaper TVs. Both of my primary are mid-high end Sony.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Exactly. Sony TVs use google's Android TV as an operating system. The update/app compatibility situation is the same as with smartphones: ten years of software support is wishful thinking... Sony recently confirmed that there won't be an update to Android 9(!) for most of it's 2017, 2018 and even some 2019 models due to hardware limitations - that means any owner of such a device will be stuck on an already obsolete OS version, and it's just a question of time before the first apps will cease to work.

This was what the salesman was referring to.
If all you did was watch basic cable, then it would be fine for many, many years. This was my FIL's world. Japanese variety shows and sports - what he can get on cable TV. Everything else was just too complicated for him.

Yesterday, I introduced Netflix to my FIL. He was dumbfounded that he can start and stop, pick what he wants to see. This TV has a Netflix button, no login needed. It is opening up my FIL's world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.