Apple switching to ARM for the Macs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple switching to ARM for the Macs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
The same software emulation that lets ARM Macs run Intel MacOS software should work for virtualized Windows.

I don't think Rosetta supports the privileged levels needed for x86 OS virtualization. Plenty of older articles about that. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this.

VMWare, Parallels, etc aren't talking about it yet.

Eventually there will probably be something, but it's not there yet.

-David
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I don't think Rosetta supports the privileged levels needed for x86 OS virtualization. Plenty of older articles about that. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this.
I should have put quotes around "virtualized" above - there's no point in literal virtualization on an emulated environment. As you noted, one does need to emulate enough of the supervisor modes to run the OS (for Windows 10 32-bit, that's a roughly-2004-vintage Pentium 4, or anything either Intel or AMD 64-bit except possibly a few very old Atoms.) If it doesn't support it yet, the only reason it won't is if Apple doesn't want to support emulated Windows - I'm fairly sure the minimum subset of the x86/x86_64 ISAs to run Windows 10 are either out of patent or are things that they'd have had to have licensed anyway to get decent performance on emulated code (and going out of patent within the next 2-3 years.)

Supporting a hypervisor on top of the emulated x86 environment would be harder, and the Intel and AMD virtualization extensions are both going to be in patent for a while yet, but there's little reason to do that.

It's much slower, but QEMU is open source, and can run Windows 10 in pure emulation mode right now. Given that it has a MacOS-Intel port, and Linux AArch64 can emulate Windows 10 successfully today, if nobody has gotten that working on MacOS-ARM it's just a matter of time.

Parallels also had something to say about it at WWDC although the details are vague: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/apple-silicon-wwdc/ although the wording there is quite vague
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:12 am
Suspended

It will be interesting to see the performance benchmarks. Just ordered a ThinkPad T-series with an AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U (8 cores, 16 threads with SMT; and, of course, no BigLittle arch or the like). Looks like multi-threaded performance will be on par with the M1 and single-threaded performance slightly lower. But, ofc, numbers on the M1 are limited so far.

Still think it's the more robust way to go. I'm sure there are gonna be issues with non-native x86-64 code (or x64 code, as M$ calls it) for some time to come despite Rosetta 2 and virtualization.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Zulu is already available; I assume AdoptOpenJDK and Corretto will be available pretty soon.
Ahh, thanks. I’d visited the Azul web site but Java for M1 looked like an intent rather than a thing that is here right now. I’ll give it a spin.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended

There are some benchmarks posted on Anandtech. Native performance is in line with what I read elsewhere. What's interesting, though, is that they run a large number of benchmarks natively as well as under Rosetta2. The performance drop with Rosetta2 is between 5 and 50% with roughly 30% on average (the largest performance penality of ~50% is indicated by Cinebench R23 multi-threaded).

Not trying to dispute the significance of Apple's new design, but I personally am in the camp of holding out for another year or two until the share of native software is larger than today.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Zulu is already available; I assume AdoptOpenJDK and Corretto will be available pretty soon.
Ok, swapped the Rosetta powered AdoptOpen with Mac/ARM native Azul. Everything works nicely - my mini automation lab project simply runs. So thanks again.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 4:54 pm

Parallels also had something to say about it at WWDC although the details are vague: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/apple-silicon-wwdc/ although the wording there is quite vague
right, could easily be ARM virtualization, so you can run ARM versions of Linux, Windows, etc. I'm sure vmware is also working on that.

Here's an older article I found from June ...

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23...ation-windows/

-David
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thanks - i do some Java development with IntelliJ (not so much these days) - so this might be a good option for me. I have MacBook 12 at the moment, and that actually handles anything I need (if a bit slow).
Ahh, wither the MacBook 12? I have a colleague in support who is traumatised by Apple’s discontinuation of this line. He is at least able to bring up virtual machines supplied by customers, in VirtualBox, if he gets a call out in his local Aldi. For him, both M1 and the discontinuation of his favourite model are quite unpleasant.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Internaut
Oh, am I the only one here with an M1 Mac? Well here goes. I have the base Air. It augments or replaced a 2015 MacBook Pro. The performance of the new laptop is nothing short of astonishing. Microsoft Word took 20 seconds to load first time; near as damming instant thereafter. Photoshop 30 seconds; likewise. Rosetta is superb. At base, the most I’ll ever manage in terms of virtualisation is something lightweight running XCFE rather than Gnome. That’s further down the line. Once I have a time machine I’ll experiment with my area of development - Java/Selenium. I expect X86 Java to run better than my Intel MacBook Pro.

Battey life? Crazy good. This is an ultra book that outperforms all but very high end Intel systems. Imagine having to work a full shift between London and Sydney. This will pretty much do it! There will be problems but Apple really have nailed this!
I have a M1 MacBook Air. I had some issues when I needed to wipe and re-install but got those fixed. Otherwise I love it so far. Run rings around my 2017 MacBook Pro (the one with the really crappy keyboard ) There are a couple of iPad apps I like that don't have Mac versions and they run great.

I thought about the iMac earlier this year but paused. Now I can't wait for an Apple Silicon iMac (or equivalent). I've only had it a week (and my laptops are mainly traveling computers -- remember that, going to places where you don't live ) so it will be a while before a full test.

I think Apple has a winner here.
Internaut likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Here's an older article I found from June ...

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23...ation-windows/
What's stated there makes a bit more sense:
Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn't translate the following executables:

- Kernel extensions
- Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

Rosetta translates all x86_64 instructions, but it doesn't support the execution of some newer instruction sets and processor features, such as AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 vector instructions. If you include these newer instructions in your code, execute them only after verifying that they are available. For example, to determine if AVX512 vector instructions are available, use the sysctlbyname function to check the hw.optional.avx512f attribute.
Running an x86_64 version of Parallels/VMWare/VirtualBox on top of Rosetta would make zero sense; it's basically double translation and would likely always perform worse than direct emulating of the underlying hardware you were trying to virtualize on top of emulation -- there are potentially advantages to a hypervisor-like interface to emulated systems, but even there you don't need to emulate the underlying virtualization for that, just the ABIs the guests use to communicate with the hypervisor.

Whether it's possible to use Rosetta (or a future version of it) as a fast fully-emulated environment for other OSes (or for an OS compatibility layer) is a big unknown, but Apple is surely aware how heavily people use Docker in a lot of software development workflows, and hoping people moving to ARM images is a long term plan not a short term one.

In the meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if Wine (or the Proton fork of it) work on Rosetta, and how quickly people have instructions up for Windows-on-QEMU for ARM Macs.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

In the meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if Wine (or the Proton fork of it) work on Rosetta, and how quickly people have instructions up for Windows-on-QEMU for ARM Macs.
The Wine-based commercial CrossOver software is available as an late alpha or early beta (unsure which) but I read on a German blog some software is running relatively stable on it. Note it is currently running on Rosetta2, it's not a universal app.
nkedel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: *G
The only software I’ve seen not run smoothly is the desktop app from Tastyworks. It’s always been a bit unpolished, but lags more in the M1 mac than on windows.

It’s a legacy Intel-Mac app. I’m curious if running there Windows one simulated on Mac, is smoother than running the Intel-Mac version through Rosetta
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:31 am
Suspended

On a different note, ARM works very well for Apple's business model. My understanding is the good performance with lower power usage at the same time comes in no small part from the RAM being on-package. So Apple can continue to charge fantasy prices for RAM upgrades, as it's impossible to self-upgrade after purchase.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IslesFan
FYI, looks like the M1 can only drive one external display at the moment. I’ll probably have to wait for the next generation.
It looks like some guy on YouTube got 6 displays plugged into an M1 Mac with DisplayLink adapters. Nowhere near all at 4K, mind you, but I could see most people being okay with like two displays at 4K or maybe even 1080p (+ the laptop's built in display).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
It looks like some guy on YouTube got 6 displays plugged into an M1 Mac with DisplayLink adapters. Nowhere near all at 4K, mind you, but I could see most people being okay with like two displays at 4K or maybe even 1080p (+ the laptop's built in display).
Saw that. I'm probably just going to wait until the M2(or whatever the next gen is called).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.