Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

"New" Microsost Edge Download?

Old May 22, 20, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton

We got an email then an attempt to set up Microsoft's newer Edge download, which I've been able to put off for a week or two. Already have the original free download with Edge, but now this one seems to be a newer version, or so it seems, but I am not too keen on downloading another Microsoft large download with the chance of messing up our older pc.

Anyone receive a similar download attempt, and if so, is it really something newer and better then before? Seems it will be a very long download if all items are taken, and is it really any different and worth the effort. They say it will have better security among other features, but my Norton works just fine.

Thanks,

bj-21.
Old May 22, 20, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You seem to mixing up lots of technologies here.

Edge is a browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome. The new version of Edge is actually based on Chrome, and replaces the version of Edge that ships with Windows 10. In practice, there shouldn't be much difference unless you use lots of the older Edge extensions.

The download of the new Edge should only take a few minutes at maximum depending on your broadband speed (it was seconds on my Windows machine). If it's a "large download" as you say, the be wary that it's actually Edge you are downloading.

I use Chrome anyway, so Edge won't make any difference to me.

Installing it won't break anything. It will just sit there unused. Microsoft will probably force the download in a future Windows 10 update anyway.
Old May 22, 20, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do you use Edge?

Originally Posted by blackjack-21 View Post
Seems it will be a very long download if all items are taken
Based on what? Do you have a time constraint for downloads? Mine always run overnight.

They say it will have better security among other features, but my Norton works just fine.
Very different technologies.

Being current on software is generally a good idea.

Last edited by CPRich; May 22, 20 at 8:22 pm
Old May 22, 20, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Anyone receive a similar download attempt, and if so, is it really something newer and better then before?
It is definitely newer. However, given the history of Microsoft (as well as others), I would not say it is necessary better.

AFAICT, this installation does not harm your PC. So I would encourage you to install it, like other updates.

Seems it will be a very long download if all items are taken, and is it really any different and worth the effort.
It takes no longer than 5 minutes for the entire installation with download, assuming your computer does not use a low-end CPU. The best thing about this installation is you don't even need to restart to use the new Edge.

They say it will have better security among other features, but my Norton works just fine.
FWIW - things evolves daily with internet. So it is not necessary that both Microsoft and Norton can catch everything. So just because you have Norton, it does not mean you don't install updates.

Beside - I stop using Norton/Symantec because it takes up too many resources and Windows Defender works surprisingly well as a Windows 10 feature.
Old May 23, 20, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You seem to mixing up lots of technologies here.

Edge is a browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome. The new version of Edge is actually based on Chrome, and replaces the version of Edge that ships with Windows 10. In practice, there shouldn't be much difference unless you use lots of the older Edge extensions.
Actually the Chromium based Edge came out in January. This is new. It is Microsoft's push to be more integrated (like with their new search soon).
Per the release notes it came out May 21, so I'd give it a while before installing it, to let other people deal with the bugs first (like any Microsoft product)
Old May 23, 20, 9:39 pm

took me about 5 min of reading but i found what i wanted. its the downloadable offline install of new edge, based on Chromiun,

unlike the default installer, which is not Edge but merely reaches back out to download Edge, this is the actual install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download
Old May 23, 20, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by abc5 View Post
took me about 5 min of reading but i found what i wanted. its the downloadable offline install of new edge, based on Chromiun,

unlike the default installer, which is not Edge but merely reaches back out to download Edge, this is the actual install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download
That seems to be the trend nowadays. For a fun rabbit-hole journey, try to get the offline installer of the .NET 3.5 installer

Search this Thread
Search Engine: