Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What if Apple launched a new iPhone (SE) and nobody noticed?

Old Apr 15, 20, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Apple announced the new iPhone SE (2020) today.

$399 - basically an iPhone 11 stuffed into an iPhone 8 body. The best mobile processor available, wireless charging, optically stabilized 12MP camera, 4K video, but still a home button and Touch ID.

Feels like a no-brainer to replace my kids' iPhone 6. I'll probably spring for the extra $50 to double the memory, even though they're fine at 64GB right now.

Pre-order Friday, available next Friday.
Old Apr 15, 20, 11:05 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I sure noticed, I have been trying to dodge my refresh from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone Xr at work for months.

There was a review of the MacBook many years ago that said if you use gestures it will probably be by accident and that is still roughly where I am at.
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

I guess I'm the target audience for this. I'm still using my old SE. I want a small phone, I want the home button. I would have switched to a different brand instead of paying for and getting used to one of their giant iPhones.
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I'll probably spring for the extra $50 to double the memory, even though they're fine at 64GB right now.
Incidentally, when you upgrade on any of AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint at Best Buy, you get an extra $50 Best Buy e-Gift card

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/top-dea...t1563302848653
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I think the 'not noticing' thing will become a key factor. I upgraded my X to a 11 Pro Max a month ago and, apart from the larger screen, really don't notice anything different about it. I should have stuck with what I had.

Good article here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/t...iphone-se.html
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Noticing the new model is one matter. Going to buy it is another matter.

Apple chose to introduce a new phone in one of the worst time in term of economy. Given many people are forced to be at home, don't see how people will be interested in getting a new phone.
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's not like they decided to design and build a new model in the last four months. It's been in planning for many years, design at least 2 years, and production for months. The choices were to release it or not release it and have millions of devices sit in a warehouse.

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I think the 'not noticing' thing will become a key factor. I upgraded my X to a 11 Pro Max a month ago and, apart from the larger screen, really don't notice anything different about it. I should have stuck with what I had.
Upgrading in one, or even two, years is becoming more rare these days, given the maturity of the market. I think this will attract many, many 6, 6s, and 7 users who didn't jump on the "bigger is better" bandwagon. Especially the 6 users who are no longer supported on current iOS. And 6s users who know their time may be up in 5-6 months.

I think many will be surprised by the sales numbers in the current environment. If nothing else, they will still be for sale when this is over.
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Incidentally, when you upgrade on any of AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint at Best Buy, you get an extra $50 Best Buy e-Gift card
Excludes unlocked ...phones.
Requires credit approval, wireless service plan, qualifying phone and an installment billing agreement for the carrier's required term.
Monthly phone payments for term (20–30 months subject to carrier) at retail price.
No thanks.
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
And 6s users who know their time may be up in 5-6 months.
I will say Apple will hold off for now. If technology permits, Apple will allow iOS 14 on 6s.

I think many will be surprised by the sales numbers in the current environment.
One thing I notice during this climate is the amount of computer sales (not tablet) is up.
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Apple chose to introduce a new phone in one of the worst time in term of economy. Given many people are forced to be at home, don't see how people will be interested in getting a new phone.
I think it was SMART , but also shows how much profit is in the large phone since this has the same guts ,

Apple makes a lot of money from you AFTER you become a customer , this is a good way to let people buy into the Apple world cheaper,
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Apple announced the new iPhone SE (2020) today.

$399 - basically an iPhone 11 stuffed into an iPhone 8 body. The best mobile processor available, wireless charging, optically stabilized 12MP camera, 4K video, but still a home button and Touch ID.

Feels like a no-brainer to replace my kids' iPhone 6. I'll probably spring for the extra $50 to double the memory, even though they're fine at 64GB right now.

Pre-order Friday, available next Friday.
I would be absolutely ecstatic if they would launch an SE+ version with the larger screen like the 8+.

I currently have an iPhone X and have had it since it came out, I also have an iPhone 8 through my company. I absolutely despise Face ID. While I'm comfortable enough not having a home button, the loss of Touch ID has me considering going back to an 8+ on my primary phone as my X is aging. It would be great to see an updated one with the current processors and such.
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
I guess I'm the target audience for this. I'm still using my old SE. I want a small phone, I want the home button. I would have switched to a different brand instead of paying for and getting used to one of their giant iPhones.
When the original iPhone SE was discontinued I went out and bought two of them. The kid at the Apple Store looked at me like I was on bath salts.

If somebody tells me the iPhone 13 XLR Plus has a great camera, I don't care because I have several better cameras. I have a camera that can make out the moons of Jupiter.

Everything an iPhone does well I already own a device that does it better so I get absolutely zero utility out of a larger phone.

My favorite modern smart phone of all time was my Sony Xperia Ray. (I loved the Blackberry Pearl but that was another era.)

I think this is a lot like the iPad mini, it isn't really a product Apple wants to sell but they realize the person who is hanging on to an ancient iPhone probably isn't going to buy a modern iPhone either because of it's cost, size or new interface.
jpdx likes this.

Last edited by Error 601; Apr 16, 20 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:43 am

I bought the original SE when it first came out. I convinced my husband to get his shortly after that.

The SE was getting a little too old/slow/full for me and in September I bought a new 11. I think I would have been very unhappy if I waited until now and the 11 is really great, but I don't usually spend that much on a phone, so that wasn't the best feeling.

My husband will order the new SE tomorrow. I'll probably be happier than he will be, as he more tolerant of his phone being recalcitrant, but since we are long distance, I'm looking forward to an improved experience from his end.
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

People are probably using their phones more than ever to stay in touch with family and friends they’re not seeing in person. Phones continue to break. Some people are overdue for an upgrade. It seems like the perfect time for a budget-conscious iPhone.

Some people, like my wife, will be disappointed that the new SE is bigger than the old SE. She loved that small form factor and continues to hold on to her dying SE because she doesn’t like any of the replacement options.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will say Apple will hold off for now. If technology permits, Apple will allow iOS 14 on 6s.
I'm sure they'd like to. But I'm also sure that the decision was baked into the OS quite some time ago. It's traditionally been one model each year, but there have been exceptions. In fact, I seem to recall that the 6 got a one year reprieve from the normal cycle.

EDIT: There seems to be conflicting info out there. This says the SE and 6S will be supported, this says they won't.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: