Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

why does everybody use Chrome?

why does everybody use Chrome?

Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by nrr
There is a NEW version of MS EDGE available--much faster than CHROME.
Yes, and it runs on Chromium, which also in-part, powers Chrome. But Edge users are still getting warnings on Google services like here, lending me a conspiracy theory that Google is just targetting all non-Chrome browsers just to brew fear
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I use Firefox. Chrome is a memory hog on Windows and Macs.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Everybody doesn't use Chrome, so.....

16GB being not enough for a bunch of tabs is silly.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm using Chrome on roughly a dozen computers in my company with no problems. I guess I just stick with it since it works for me. One thing I have taken to doing is the just re-install windows if things are acting up. In the "old days" this was a crazy process but with Win10 it's super fast and easy. The initial re-install can take a couple hours (usually just start it and let it go overnight) but after that most of your settings and all of your data is still in place. The longest thing for me is to re-install MS Word and get all the settings back the way I like them (short cut bar, etc.).
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What's wrong with Safari?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Gave up on Chrome years ago and went back to Safari. I didn't have a problem with Chrome reliability, I just don't trust Google.
If that is the case, do you not use DuckDuckGo?
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Firefox user for a long time. I've never seen any kind of "nag" to update - I've got them turned on automatically. While a few years ago, this might have "broken" something, these days Firefox is pretty stable.

I have never seen any kind of banner on a Google page telling me Firefox is icky. PM me if you need specific addin recommendations.
DeafFlyer, KRSW and Dave510 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I use Firefox almost all the time (on 5 machines) and before that when it was Mozilla and/or Netscape as my primary browser. As for resource usage, had a look and Chrome (use it only to run stuff that won't run on my NoScripted/adblocked/Flash-blocked and other junk blocked FF) seems to be hogging as much if not more memory and I have many more extensions running on FF (which updates in the background - I only know there's an upgrade when I cold boot which is every morning). I generally use IE or Edge for cash back buying as the others have ad blockers. I find Edge slow and doggy.

FWIW, 2 Firefox windows, one running 14 tabs is using just a shade under 600 MB (on a 8 GB i5-3230M CPU laptop). Chrome running Facebook (with FB Purity to block just about everything else) on Chrome is running 171 MB.

Just for fun, I closed one FF window and opened all the tabs I had on the FF window on the Chrome window (and closed the FB tab). FF is now using 545+ MB, Chrome 880+ MB. Cut back to 6 tabs (same pages) on each and it's ~477MB on FF, 61MB on Chrome.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:48 am

Maybe because of Google. It eats up a lot of RAM for me but most browsers do that I think... privacy-wise, Firefox seems to be a better option.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY+
Accustomed to use. Company server abroad, so ip shows to different country and this why the bing search doesn't work. Also as told above, sync to all other devices.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

I use Chrome on multiple devices (Mac / Windows / Android) and don't have any issues. If you're constantly having issues, try disabling all the plug-ins as it could be one of them causing it.

Edge is now just Chrome with a Microsoft skin. It uses the same Chromium engine.
I simply dislike the manner in which Microsoft is still trying force me to use its products even though it has become a bit of a laggard. While I can almost give Edge a free pass, telling me to use Bing as a default search engine (for better results and performance) is just insulting. I actually do use bing whenever I'm too lazy to connect to VPN, and it is an abomination compared to google, and even baidu.

On a slightly related note, I had to join a Teams meeting last week with a company that doesn't like Zoom. Much to my surprise, Teams was already installed on my computer. Setting aside the fact that connecting it to my work email account was a waste of 20 minutes and the product is clunky compared to Zoom, what really annoyed me was that Teams decided it would be convenient for me if it launched on startup (I changed this in short order, of course).

The one area in which Microsoft still receives some love from me is Office. And, somewhat amazingly, Office 365 isn't a whole lot better than Office 95.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 24, 2020 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Gave up on Chrome years ago and went back to Safari. I didn't have a problem with Chrome reliability, I just don't trust Google.
I used to use Safari but Apple's extension policy has basically caused many of the extensions I do use to no longer be available for the browser (for example, Reddit Enhancement Suite). It would have been nice if Apple didn't scare off extension vendors since Safari does use less battery on my MacBook Pro than Chrome.

Originally Posted by CPRich
16GB being not enough for a bunch of tabs is silly.
How much is a "bunch"? My MBP only has 16GB of RAM but Chrome for me is currently using 1GB for the main process and an average of 50-100MB per helper process (corresponding to an individual tab).
Flyingmama likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yea, that's called Windows, but it's too hard to not use Windows.
Easier than you think - I gave up that addiction over 10 years ago. Just say NO
DYKWIA and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I don't use Chrome. Google already has more data about me than I'm comfortable with and far too much control of the internet. No way would I want them having access to my every keystroke.

Firefox and DuckDuckGo are my go to. Use that combo on MacOS, Win10 and iOS. Works great.
GUWonder and KRSW like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Groupthink, mindlessness, deception (thinking Chrome is a product when in reality the end-user Google spies on is the actual product being sold to advertisers)

Just look at the anti-competitive scams Google pulls everyday. From blocking Chromium-based Microsoft Edge from Google services, to killing Windows Phone by blocking them from their APIs. Funny how the tables turn... Who's the real monopoly now?
KRSW likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.