FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Can't reinstall Chrome Remote Desktop. Stumped (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2015141-cant-reinstall-chrome-remote-desktop-stumped.html)

cblaisd Apr 5, 2020 12:36 pm

Can't reinstall Chrome Remote Desktop. Stumped

Windows 10 Pro, 64bit

I went to remote in to one of my computers and found that it was offline from Remote Desktop.

When I went to that computer to re-enable allowing remote connections, I was prompted to download the Remote Desktop msi file again and run it. When I did, it stopped halfway with this error message. I've Googled to no avail. Any ideas?
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b4bbb8ca41.jpg

StuckInYYZ Apr 5, 2020 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 32266765)
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit

I went to remote in to one of my computers and found that it was offline from Remote Desktop.

When I went to that computer to re-enable allowing remote connections, I was prompted to download the Remote Desktop msi file again and run it. When I did, it stopped halfway with this error message. I've Googled to no avail. Any ideas?

I'm far from a chrome expert, but have you tried renaming the DLL before installing? Also, try creating a blank text file in that folder to see if you have the permissions?

HDQDD Apr 8, 2020 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 32266765)
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit

Did you try to "Run As Administrator"? I thought MSI files would automatically ask for elevated permissions, but maybe this one didn't.

cblaisd Apr 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 32266933)
I'm far from a chrome expert, but have you tried renaming the DLL before installing? Also, try creating a blank text file in that folder to see if you have the permissions?

I'm not sure how to rename the DLL embedded in the MSI file. And, no, I cannot save a file to that folder, and my attempt to remove the "read only" attribute from the folder tells me that I have to have Administrator rights -- which I do.

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 32275872)
Did you try to "Run As Administrator"? I thought MSI files would automatically ask for elevated permissions, but maybe this one didn't.

Yes, have tried to run as administrator. No joy.

I've also tried deleting that folder and while it "acts like" it is deleting, it is still there after doing so.

StuckInYYZ Apr 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 32290578)
I'm not sure how to rename the DLL embedded in the MSI file. And, no, I cannot save a file to that folder, and my attempt to remove the "read only" attribute from the folder tells me that I have to have Administrator rights -- which I do.

Yes, have tried to run as administrator. No joy.

I've also tried deleting that folder and while it "acts like" it is deleting, it is still there after doing so.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Not rename the DLL in the MSI file. rename the existing DLL in the folder (remoting_core.dll). I find that occasionally something will lock a file (at least from deleting). Sometimes I can force it to delete or rename (if not by taking ownership, then by apps such as unlocker). My preference is to rename the DLL or whatever file as that is the least destructive. It can be undone if required.

That said, I'd try uninstalling it first to see if that may fix it. You may also want to check to see who owns the folder....

01) File Explorer -> Navigate to the folder -1 (Chrome Remote Desktop)
02) Right click on the folder, select properties
03) Security Tab -> Advanced (near the bottom)
04) Owner is near the top

Something might have corrupted the ownership, but it's a good place to start. Like I said, you also might want to try uninstalling first (if you haven't already) and then re-installing.

cblaisd Apr 13, 2020 9:34 pm

Thank you. There is nothing in that folder other than two .tmp files and a debug log. No DLL.
Have already uninstalled but that whole folder and subfolders (various updates, I am presuming) does not uninstall and can't be deleted.
Checking out the ownership/permissions it **says** that "Administrator" has full control, and that the folder is owned by "System" When I try to click on anything to change ownership or view/change permissions, I get the error message, below. This is truly stumpifying and I just haven't found anything via Google that helps.

Thanks for the help; anything else I can do? My hunch is that if I could get rid of the whole ChromeRemoteDesktop folder/subfolders it would reinstall. But nothing I do actually deletes it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2a8630f72d.jpg

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 32291061)
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Not rename the DLL in the MSI file. rename the existing DLL in the folder (remoting_core.dll). I find that occasionally something will lock a file (at least from deleting). Sometimes I can force it to delete or rename (if not by taking ownership, then by apps such as unlocker). My preference is to rename the DLL or whatever file as that is the least destructive. It can be undone if required.

That said, I'd try uninstalling it first to see if that may fix it. You may also want to check to see who owns the folder....

01) File Explorer -> Navigate to the folder -1 (Chrome Remote Desktop)
02) Right click on the folder, select properties
03) Security Tab -> Advanced (near the bottom)
04) Owner is near the top

Something might have corrupted the ownership, but it's a good place to start. Like I said, you also might want to try uninstalling first (if you haven't already) and then re-installing.

Moderator2 Apr 14, 2020 9:52 am

Not a bad idea to run CCLEANER in a circumstance like this, to help clean-up tmp and registry remnants.

StuckInYYZ Apr 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 32291094)
Thank you. There is nothing in that folder other than two .tmp files and a debug log. No DLL.
Have already uninstalled but that whole folder and subfolders (various updates, I am presuming) does not uninstall and can't be deleted.
Checking out the ownership/permissions it **says** that "Administrator" has full control, and that the folder is owned by "System" When I try to click on anything to change ownership or view/change permissions, I get the error message, below. This is truly stumpifying and I just haven't found anything via Google that helps.

Thanks for the help; anything else I can do? My hunch is that if I could get rid of the whole ChromeRemoteDesktop folder/subfolders it would reinstall. But nothing I do actually deletes it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2a8630f72d.jpg

This might sound a bit extreme, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome? (after you back up your favourites and settings). I would try that (and make sure the folders are gone before doing the re-install Once you uninstall, I'd just take ownership of any remnant folders and toss them.

I did do a quick check. They do have work-arounds for this error (can't confirm as I don't see an error number to compare against, but wording is the same).

Originally Posted by Moderator2 (Post 32292546)
Not a bad idea to run CCLEANER in a circumstance like this, to help clean-up tmp and registry remnants.

Funnily enough, a number of people claim the issue after running ccleaner's registry cleaner... tmp files unfortunately can be locked hard as in use. Then you need to break the file lock.