FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   setting up camera in home of quarantined elder to check on them, (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2014650-setting-up-camera-home-quarantined-elder-check-them.html)

LAXlocal Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm

setting up camera in home of quarantined elder to check on them,

Hi

since this will be an important thing in the next few months I thought a discussion would help ,
how would you set up a camera or 2 inside an elders home so they can be checked on ?

It would need to be available on a home computer and mobile phone ,
for the people checking in ,
Lets assume the elder has Internet and Wifi.

I guess doing this before it was needed would be the best , since you could be in their house to set it up and explain how it works !

Any ideas ? Thanks

javabytes Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Well the easiest way to avoid dealing with firewalls and dynamic IP addresses and other things that make it difficult for you to connect directly to a device inside their home is to use a camera that can be accessed via a cloud service. Think Nest, Dropcam, etc.

But I guess I’d consider first what your objectives with the camera truly are, and what kind of monitoring you’re really looking to do. You can’t put them in every room of the house. Given that, does it make more sense to set them up with a tablet or Facebook Portal or something like that where you can video chat with them? As opposed to more of a surveillance-type setup?

Pat89339 Mar 29, 2020 8:47 pm

I've had a wifi camera on my mom since she had her first heart attack in 2015. She's in the kitchen at the kitchen table 85% of the day, so it's easy. It's just a simple Samsung SmartCam. It has a mobile app and I can check in on her from anywhere in the world. It has an active mic and I can hear what's going on as well as talk to her over it if she has the phone off the hook, as she occasionally does. She isn't even aware that I am checking on her, but will leave a note on the table if she's in another room. It's worked well for us and I don't have to worry quite as much.

Loren Pechtel Mar 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Definitely a cloud-based solution, otherwise you're getting in over your head trying to access it.

dbuckho Mar 29, 2020 11:48 pm

I would do Echo Show devices (would let them call you by just talking to it) and use the drop in feature from your device or phone app (or grant drop in permission from theirs to your account.if their device was not on your account for some reason).

Stgermainparis Mar 30, 2020 12:30 am

We have wyze cams around our house for when we are on vacation. They are cheap at $25 and easy to install. Plug in, read QR code, and done. They also have a motion and audio sensor for 10 second recording. Use with an app on your phone. I think you can talk through phone to can too but have never tried that.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 30, 2020 12:38 am

My FIL had a brain aneurysm a few years ago. We’ve had a Wyze pan and tilt camera in the living room for the last year. We use it to check up on him, the full time nurse and my MIL in Indonesia. Works pretty well.

satman40 Mar 30, 2020 12:39 am

Ring Door bell camera use it in the dogs room m 2 way voice works well,works on the door also,,

Thekman Mar 30, 2020 2:14 am

I do this same thing with my family member at the moment with this product: https://www.arlo.com/au/default.aspx

bukzin Mar 30, 2020 7:50 am

Most of these cameras have a monthly fee. Wyze does not.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 30, 2020 8:00 am

Wyze doesn’t store the video unless you have a memory card installed, but that’s a cheap add on.

boerne Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm

if you have an older smart phone there are some pretty good options. I use

Presence with an old iphone and an old android.

Presence

There are others.

nmenaker Mar 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Arlo cams are the easiest to set up, but run on battery so not for 24/7 streaming. One CAN plug them in too though, quality is exceptional. Videos to cloud, iPhone/android/applet TV/PC apps all available.

bchandler02 Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by boerne (Post 32247996)
if you have an older smart phone there are some pretty good options. I use

Presence with an old iphone and an old android.

Presence

There are others.

Alfred is another one of those apps, which I use without any issues.

RetiredATLATC Mar 30, 2020 1:00 pm

I'd go with a few indoor Nest cameras.

Easy to set up, intuitive website/app and reliable.