Reload this Page >

setting up camera in home of quarantined elder to check on them,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

setting up camera in home of quarantined elder to check on them,

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Wyze doesn’t store the video unless you have a memory card installed, but that’s a cheap add on.
Mine are stored in the cloud (w/ free subscription) for a few days.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by bukzin
Most of these cameras have a monthly fee. Wyze does not.
No, the Arlo camera's don't. You are incorrect.
I own three of them and there is no other costs other than the purchase cost.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:01 pm

We have the Wyze camera in the family room of my MIL who chooses to live alone. We had 24 hour care provided by family and she chased off the last care giver. My husband the genius set up the Wyze camera and Amazon Echo's and she can call out "Alexa" call Jerry and it will dial his phone it won't call 911 but will call programmed phone numbers. We also have a life alert that she wears and has a fall alert on it as well. It has worked well for years. Jerry also has sensors that dot the hallway and we can tell when she passes through to the bathroom/bedroom. This convoluted system has worked and allowed her to resume her way of living. I did check with Adult Protective Services as I was concerned about Elder Neglect as her Dr. was concerned about her living alone. APS said that as long as she was of sound mind and could provide her needs then there was no issue in fact they said it is her right to choose how to live her life. Thank goodness for technology and a VERY smart husband.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:43 am

+1 for the Wyze cams.... I'd go for the Pan-Tilt model so you can spin the camera 360 degrees and look around if need be.

The latest versions of the Amazon Echo Dots have decent sound quality on them. Me and Mrs. KRSW often send messages back and forth on them while I'm on the road and the Drop In lets you do a full-duplex high-quality call between Amazon devices. The microphones on them are quite sensitive and are still quite intelligible with the person in the next room over.

As Oxnardjan points out, the Echo devices also can be used to place phone calls to land lines. It'll even handle things like Call Doctor Smith or Call Pizza Planet, without having to know the number.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Mine are stored in the cloud (w/ free subscription) for a few days.
I remember reading about some free storage when I first bought mine, but don’t recall how to set it up.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas ,

I do like the idea of motion sensors in the hallway etc , maybe even on the fridge to make sure they are eating too !

can you set-up an Amazon Echo to do everything but order items from Amazon ? Ordering things could cause other problems
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
can you set-up an Amazon Echo to do everything but order items from Amazon ? Ordering things could cause other problems
You can turn off voice purchasing from account settings. I never used it. The only time I used it, I ended up ordering 3 of the items because I thought the voice command didn't take...
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I use Canary, it has motion sensors, temerature and air quality sensors as well as a wide angle lens. It also has a speaker where you can use the app to talk to them (they can talk back but there is a 2 or 3 second gap from when you finish speaking until you can hear what they say, slightly akward). You can shedule the cam to away mode at certain times and will get a live notification when they come into the vision of the cam. Last time I checked on Amazon they had 1 year premium service free with the pro version.

In dads its in the hall, I have it scheduled for away mode around the time he gets up in the morning, when I get the notification that there's been movement I know all is good. May not be the cheapest option but I do recommend it.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wyze Cam works perfectly, and no monthly fees!

Just keep in mind that the Wyze Cams connect over 2.4 GHz only, so you will need to activate that radio band on your WiFi router. (most of us stick to 5GHz radios for speed these days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.