Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best eSIM for *domestic* (USA) use? Preferably unlimited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best eSIM for *domestic* (USA) use? Preferably unlimited?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by docbert
T-mobile will sent you a free Mifi and 30 days/30GB service. https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Only issue might be how long it takes to get it - they had been taking a few months, but it seems they have got a new batch of them and they are coming through pretty quickly. You can choose to activate it (and thus start the 30 days) once you're ready to use it.
Thanks. I ordered one to test out at T Mobile in my area. The last test about 2 years ago was disappointing.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Had my first eSIM experience ever. 3 years after its debut as a network feature, I activated an iPhone XS, 11 Pro, and SE (2nd gen) on T-Mobile as secondary lines with Sprint being the primary lines. Never have I felt so futuristic, with the ability to turn voice/data on/off for each line and the data switching feature that prefers better signal. Thank you FCC for forcing T-Mobile to support eSIM as a condition of the Sprint merger!
Old May 17, 2021, 8:35 am

T-Mobile enabled esim in late 2018 as I recall. It was supposed to be only for Prepaid service initially, but in Dec. that year I got it set up on my new iPhone XR on a Postpaid account. I didn't realize it was a condition of the Sprint proposal, but it certainly was a game changer for those with dual sim phones. I hear the some of the latest Samsung Android high end phones still do not have esim as an option, which is baffling.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m using Airalo now since our Verizon Data allowance is almost used up. It works fine and isn’t expensive. But it feels just a little sluggish and I realized it’s routing my connection through Poland. I looked at T-Mobile’s prepay eSIM options and they are too expensive. What do people recommend for 1-3 GB or so?
bukzin likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:16 am

I'm a big fan of putting your main line on esim for those with dual sim phones such as the iPhone XR and newer. Your primary number cannot be removed by a thief and therefore will remain available to the "Find My" network for location. As long as it is on, it reports to the Apple iCloud if you have an account active. I have an iPad Mini 5 and iPad 11" Pro which also have esim and they make great hotspots for roaming esim connectivity, and they get the most browsing use anyway.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by draver
I'm a big fan of putting your main line on esim for those with dual sim phones such as the iPhone XR and newer. Your primary number cannot be removed by a thief and therefore will remain available to the "Find My" network for location. As long as it is on, it reports to the Apple iCloud if you have an account active. I have an iPad Mini 5 and iPad 11" Pro which also have esim and they make great hotspots for roaming esim connectivity, and they get the most browsing use anyway.
I mean, as long as the phone has a data connection it will be able to talk to iCloud. And if someone removes the sim trying to be clever, the phone will still be useless to them.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I’m using Airalo nowI since our Verizon Data allowance is almost used up. It works fine and isn’t expensive. But it feels just a little sluggish and I realized it’s routing my connection through Poland. I looked at T-Mobile’s prepay eSIM options and they are too expensive. What do people recommend for 1-3 GB or so?
Would that Poland connection itself be blocked by FT/FT's buddy Cloudflare?
Old May 27, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I mean, as long as the phone has a data connection it will be able to talk to iCloud. And if someone removes the sim trying to be clever, the phone will still be useless to them.
There is no iCloud data connection without an active sim or WiFi. The esim assures that it will have a link to your "Find My". They cannot remove the esim and as soon as it is powered on to try and enter the phone it will report it's location continuously. It not only is useless, it provides its location.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is no iCloud data connection without an active sim or WiFi. The esim assures that it will have a link to your "Find My". They cannot remove the esim and as soon as it is powered on to try and enter the phone it will report it's location continuously. It not only is useless, it provides its location.
The eSIM approach can indeed frustrate thieves more easily than would be the case with a stolen phone where a simple physical SIM card removal could take place to frustrate the tracking. But that said, an iPhone using only eSIMs can still be powered on without providing its location to the iCloud. The question of whether the tracking of the phone still works is really one of where the thieves power the phone on, what they do before powering it on, and/or what they do with the stolen device as soon as they get it and thereafter.

Using an eSIM greatly increases the chances that the phone will be feeding location data to the iCloud, but using an eSIM set-up can't assure that it will be able to do so.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Would that Poland connection itself be blocked by FT/FT's buddy Cloudflare?
Nope, seems to work fine. The IP it's reporting is 37.47.46.27, which resolves to public-gprs362202.centertel.pl.

I tried to go to cvs.com while in line there and their website just said "cvs.com is for US-based people only" and wouldn't let me do anything.

Right. All I'm saying is, whether or not the phone can "phone home" to iCloud, if you have Find My iPhone enabled then the thieves still wouldn't be able to use the phone for anything because activation lock would be on. So you might not be able to find the phone because location reporting wouldn't work, but the thieves wouldn't be able to use it either.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.