Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best USED Ipad with international LTE and headphone jack ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Hi

I would like to get a Used Ipad that is LTE ( uses sim card ) and had a headphone jack ,

It needs to have the International LTE bands , and maybe Band 71 for Tmobile

the regular 9-10 size , not the Mini or the larger ones ,

It is mostly to have in the car for travel , GPS , and check email , no games but Pinball

I know I will probably lose it , drop it , dunk it etc in a couple years so somewhere in the under $150- $250 range

Is that possible ? Thanks for your advise
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out the Wikipedia article on each iPad generation and see what LTE bands it supports, or Apple https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/#ipad

They all have headphone jacks as far as I know.

Look around on Gazelle or elsewhere.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:10 am

The best place I've found to shop for reliable resale devices is Swappa.com. I've bought at least 3-4 used iPads there at good prices and every one was nicer than described in the listing. The Apple website has a very comprehensive Support section that lists Tech Specifications to review the bands and all other details for each iPad they've produced.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
One consideration you should keep in mind:
Does the iPhone have a physical SIM slot or an eSIM.

I use Google FI and have physical data sims I can use at no additional monthly cost... but I can't use eSIMs for this purpose. As a result I've hung onto my Gen 1 12.9 inch iPad Pro w/ LTE and a PHYSICAL SIM SLOT.

TL;DR Check if your cell provider supports eSIM before buying an iPad
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas

Looks like an iPad model a1954 , 6th generation has all the USA and International LTE bands

They come in 32GB and 128 GB , is 32 GB enough for light use ?

And if it was Sold originally by Sprint or Verizon is it locked to the carrier or are they all unlocked ?

Thanks again.....
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
One consideration you should keep in mind:
Does the iPhone have a physical SIM slot or an eSIM.

I use Google FI and have physical data sims I can use at no additional monthly cost... but I can't use eSIMs for this purpose. As a result I've hung onto my Gen 1 12.9 inch iPad Pro w/ LTE and a PHYSICAL SIM SLOT.

TL;DR Check if your cell provider supports eSIM before buying an iPad
My iPad Mini 5 and 11" Pro both have esim and sim slot. There are probably a few others besides. Every phone or iPad with an esim also has the sim slot. The Apple watch is the only device that has just the esim as far as I know. The Mini 5 has a headphone jack, the 11" Pro does not have the jack.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by draver
My iPad Mini 5 and 11" Pro both have esim and sim slot. There are probably a few others besides. Every phone or iPad with an esim also has the sim slot. The Apple watch is the only device that has just the esim as far as I know. The Mini 5 has a headphone jack, the 11" Pro does not have the jack.
Really? That is fantastic! I thought they got rid of the physical sim slot!! Maybe now I WILL upgrade.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Thanks for your ideas

Looks like an iPad model a1954 , 6th generation has all the USA and International LTE bands

They come in 32GB and 128 GB , is 32 GB enough for light use ?

And if it was Sold originally by Sprint or Verizon is it locked to the carrier or are they all unlocked ?

Thanks again.....
All iPads are unlocked except a few models sold by Japanese carriers. The 6th gen model you are considering will not have an esim if that might be a consideration going forward.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
All iPads are unlocked except a few models sold by Japanese carriers. The 6th gen model you are considering will not have an esim if that might be a consideration going forward.
Thanks
I think I will look for a 7th generation one with eSim , I never used an eSim but thats probably the future !
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I just got a 7th generation 32GB LTE-WiFi iPad delivered ,

Is there a list of IOS apps that are "must have" ?

Thanks again for all your help
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:30 am

I have a Mini 5 and I definitely have a headphone jack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.