Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Experience with Global Connect wifi for inflight use?

Old Feb 26, 20, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K

I was searching for any remaining way to get a wifi subscription that had iPass as it seems that pretty much all of the known ones are dead. I came across Global Connect which seems to be under Mobilise Hotspots. I'm wondering if anyone has been using this and airlines?

I am a bit concerned that it doesn't actually give full iPass like the Mobilise one did as the inflight wifi page is a little different. Mobilise lists Deutsche Telekom, European Aviation Network and Panasonic Avionics Corporation, but Deutsche Telekom is missing from the Global Connect page. That's going to be quite disappointing if true as most of JL's fleet is still on Deutsche Telekom, though they are (slowly) changing to Panasonic.
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:29 pm

Doesn't work.

You can only use their own app, which is terribly basic, and didn't connect to any in fight networks for me.

Because they don't market PC/Mac access (iOS and Android only), you can't get to the iPass reseller page that gives you the iPass credentials to use manually.

Suppose you could email them and ask for iPass login details? But I emailed them twice pre purchase as I had payment problems, and got no response.

Good luck!
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

I have also tried emailing and so far have no response yet. Which is concerning since you can't cancel online.

US credit cards don't seem to work with them at all, I had to use a Japanese card. That also is going to be a huge headache if they only cancel by email contact and they won't reply, lol. Japanese cards don't have the level of customer protection that US cards do.

I'll know next week if it's a service that's worthwhile for me or not. I mostly fly on JL and AA now. AA is definitely on Panasonic (long haul), JL is changing over, but if I can get an iPass login, then it'll work on their current (nearly unusable) Telekom system too.

It's a shame that all of the iPass providers have stopped accepting new customers. Even tried emailing Flexinets from my business account and nothing at all back from them.
Old Feb 27, 20, 5:57 pm

I never got a good response from Moibilise hotspot (they look identical to global connect wifi) after their service stopped working! Would love to get back to iPass!
Old Feb 29, 20, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I have also tried emailing and so far have no response yet. Which is concerning since you can't cancel online.

US credit cards don't seem to work with them at all, I had to use a Japanese card. That also is going to be a huge headache if they only cancel by email contact and they won't reply, lol. Japanese cards don't have the level of customer protection that US cards do.

I'll know next week if it's a service that's worthwhile for me or not. I mostly fly on JL and AA now. AA is definitely on Panasonic (long haul), JL is changing over, but if I can get an iPass login, then it'll work on their current (nearly unusable) Telekom system too.

It's a shame that all of the iPass providers have stopped accepting new customers. Even tried emailing Flexinets from my business account and nothing at all back from them.
For me, the app didn't work on any in fight hotspots (similar to Mobilise - I got round that by just getting hold of the iPass credentials)
Old Mar 5, 20, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I can't get any reply from them at all, tried the support email and also the web form. Seems they are a money grab and nothing else.

I'm on a flight right now with Panasonic and it didn't work (I ended up paying for it). I'm just gonna pursue a credit card chargeback on them since they refuse to answer any emails.

Now the real question is... how in the world can we get an iPass account these days? I talked to iPass themselves and they require at least 5 users with minimum 12 month contract. Hard to find legitimate resellers now.
Old Mar 5, 20, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Yeah, I can't get any reply from them at all, tried the support email and also the web form. Seems they are a money grab and nothing else.

I'm on a flight right now with Panasonic and it didn't work (I ended up paying for it). I'm just gonna pursue a credit card chargeback on them since they refuse to answer any emails.

Now the real question is... how in the world can we get an iPass account these days? I talked to iPass themselves and they require at least 5 users with minimum 12 month contract. Hard to find legitimate resellers now.
Cant 5 of us sign up together?
Old Mar 5, 20, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmyz1 View Post
Cant 5 of us sign up together?
There shouldn't be anything stopping people from doing that. For me it doesn't make sense. I need a solution that I can buy only on months when I'm traveling. Personally I have no need for wifi in Japan (where I live) as it's pretty much available most places now and if not I can tether my phone.

Having said that, the iPass people put me in touch with one of their still active partners for smaller businesses, called iRoam if you're interested. They were $50 per month with a 12 month commitment, so $600. It would make sense for someone traveling on a mix of carriers frequently. Flexinets is a lot cheaper than that, but they aren't replying to quote requests, so guessing they don't want to take on new customers, or perhaps aren't allowed to take on new customers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: