Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

OMNI file syncing clinic: best options for syncing two directories in "My Documents"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMNI file syncing clinic: best options for syncing two directories in "My Documents"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Both machines are Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I need to sync ONE folder (plus its subfolders) between two different machines.

I've used SugarSync in the past, but wanted to see if there were any better options. Freeware is probably too much to hope for.

It's about 4GB worth of files.

ETA: I would prefer not to use an approach like Dropbox, but would like something like SugarSync did (wish they hadn't ended their free version and gotten pricey) where you could simply mark a certain folder for syncing and it would sync back and forth to the other computer.

Thanks!

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 10, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you trust Microsoft....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=15155
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Interesting program. Just downloaded it and I'm "echoing" my three key folders to their backups on my external USB HDD. Thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Cool little program. But it doesn't appear to do cloud syncing to a different computer.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Cool little program. But it doesn't appear to do cloud syncing to a different computer.
Apologies. For some odd reason, I thought these were two computers on the same network.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A paid option I have used and liked: Goodsync. Any two machines, several OSes are supported although the version that runs on my Synology box can only respond, not initiate. The Android version likewise can only respond but it's free. It's a one-time payment, no monthly charge, although obviously if the two machines can't see each other then their servers must be up for it to work.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:51 pm

Can't you do this with onedrive? The single directory thing isn't really much of a limitation, you just move your two directories under your sync directory and create a shortcut from the old location to the new location so you can continue to access them as you prefer. I'm guessing you also have a lot of free onedrive space.

I've never done this with onedrive. I also used to use sugarsync but finally got rid of it .. replaced with dropbox and iCloud. I had to use symlinks (similar to shortcuts) to eliminate the multi-directory issue.

-David
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both machines are Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I need to sync ONE folder (plus its subfolders) between two different machines.

I've used SugarSync in the past, but wanted to see if there were any better options. Freeware is probably too much to hope for.

It's about 4GB worth of files.

ETA: I would prefer not to use an approach like Dropbox, but would like something like SugarSync did (wish they hadn't ended their free version and gotten pricey) where you could simply mark a certain folder for syncing and it would sync back and forth to the other computer.

Thanks!
We have a dedicated forum for these questions here, you will probably get more views if you post this in Travel Technology.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Can't you do this with onedrive? The single directory thing isn't really much of a limitation, you just move your two directories under your sync directory and create a shortcut from the old location to the new location so you can continue to access them as you prefer. I'm guessing you also have a lot of free onedrive space.

I've never done this with onedrive. I also used to use sugarsync but finally got rid of it .. replaced with dropbox and iCloud. I had to use symlinks (similar to shortcuts) to eliminate the multi-directory issue.

-David
Thank you. I realized yesterday that my work computer had been "up"graded to Office 365 so did the OneDrive thing. So far it's working well.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
OneDrive/SkyDrive is limited by how many GB you're allowed, and stores in the cloud.

MS did have a wonderful free product, Windows Live Sync/Mesh (synced via internet w/o storing anything on the cloud) that did exactly such, and worked beautifully, but MS shut down that service in favour of SkyDrive. I have SyncToy but just have not set it up.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:02 pm

+1 on goodsync.
if you just need backup then also have a look at duplicati
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:25 pm

Thank you. I realized yesterday that my work computer had been "up"graded to Office 365 so did the OneDrive thing. So far it's working well.
I remember checking and without doing anything or subscribing to any version of office I have 15GB of space on onedrive that I've never used.

I think I probably responded to some email offers for free space from Microsoft at some point. I think all you need is a "live" account to use it.

-David
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:51 pm

SyncThing! It's open source, cross-platform (Mac/Linux/BSD/Solaris/Windows/Android). It's free. Works on a local LAN as well as it does tunneling through restrictive firewalls. At my office we use it to sync executive/secretary computers together, make backups of field computers, and even handles moving backups from legacy systems to our backup servers every night. No standard ports, no logins, only pre-shared certificates.

I'm not sure what the practical limits are to its sharing capabilities. The largest share we have has 5 computers syncing the same directory. In total we're sharing about 1TB of data with it.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:29 am

I just wanted to update this, along with my love and appreciation for SyncThing. I just discovered that there's an Android version of it! Woohoo! I had about 1GB of PDF files I wanted on my Kindle Fire 10" and wasn't looking forward to trying to put those on a server somewhere and download it. SyncThing to the rescue. Just put it on there, created folders on the tablet and Macbook, and away it went. I'm actually using the SyncThing-Fork client, as it has more features, namely the ability to restrict how often Syncthing runs to save battery life.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
SyncThing looks interesting. I may have to try that out.

Late to the party, but if you are able to reach the other PC (i.e. on the same network or through a firewall) you could use robocopy which is built into Windows. I use it quite often to copy/move large groups of files from servers in different locations. This works great for the occasional large files move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.