Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Wireless Headset for Skype Calls

Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

My company has recently started getting rid of phones in the office, in favor of using Skype for all calls. They issued Plantronics USB headsets which aren't bad, but I'd like to minimize the amount of items I have plugged into my laptop (my hub is full and it seems my laptop cannot handle a second hub) and not have to deal with the cord/be able to walk around on calls.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experiences with bluetooth headsets with good voice quality? Price is generally not a factor, but would obviously prefer to not spend more than I have to. I don't really need studio a studio quality headset unless the price is reasonable (<$300 US). I will be traveling with it, so smaller size is a plus, though not necessarily a determining factor.

I have Bose over ear headphones and Samsung buds, but the voice quality doesn't quite cut it (complaints of too much background noise even in the office).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I am buying Sennhauser headsets for my company's call center now. You might check out this device:
Amazon Amazon

The "UC ML" version probably is the specific model most appropriate for your setup.

Last edited by Moderator2; Jan 12, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those Sennheiser ones look nice.

I used to have a Plantronics Savi 700 headset. They were really expensive but great because they support both USB and Bluetooth connections. It was also very comfortable to wear. If you get one, get a spare battery and the charging base that can charge the headset and spare battery simultaneously.
https://www.plantronics.com/us/en/product/savi-700
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The lawyers I’ve been working with in Europe seem to be using the Sennheiser ones way more for calls than I expected. Felt like that working in a call center when seeing them in multiples.

About the Apple Airpods Pro, taking them out of the charging case can be more difficult for some than taking out the regular Airpods from the case. For longer calls and to feel like your working rather than just loafing around listening to music or something more recreational/personal, something with a boom like feature approaching toward the mouth makes it seem so much more serious.

I tend to still find wired connectivity for headseats/earpieces to be more reliably useful for me than seems to be generally the case out there for others.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've historically been a Plantronics guy, but the last 2 I've purchased were both Jabra. I have seen both used extensively in call centers.

Currently I use a Jabra Pro930 and Pro9450 (2 different locations). Both work well, but the 9450 has a user replaceable battery while the 930 you have to take apart and solder a new one in. Highly recommend one with user replaceable batteries.

I think both have been discontinued now for the Jabra Evolve series.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Blue Parrot and their noise reduction technology at the mic. It is what the long-distance trucking operators use in their "cockpit".
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Jabra Evolve 75 primarily based on the reviews of how good the mic cancels out other sounds. My current second choice is the Sennheiser, which I think looks much better, but the reviews don't seem to talk as much about the quality of the microphone.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:22 pm

Sennhauser headsets are my favourite.. Using for my skype calls and office work for years
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Jabra Evolve 75 primarily based on the reviews of how good the mic cancels out other sounds. My current second choice is the Sennheiser, which I think looks much better, but the reviews don't seem to talk as much about the quality of the microphone.
Evolve 75 is excellent
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
For Skype or MS Teams a headset that has a control to mute/unmute your mic is essential. I’m often on 5+ person Conf calls and the etiquette is to be on mute unless you are speaking. Plantronics and Jabra have this while apple, Bose,and others don’t.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
For Skype or MS Teams a headset that has a control to mute/unmute your mic is essential. I’m often on 5+ person Conf calls and the etiquette is to be on mute unless you are speaking. Plantronics and Jabra have this while apple, Bose,and others don’t.
Great point. For wired headsets or speakerphones, I refuse to get one without a dedicated hardware mute button (ideally on the cord, not the headset so people don't hear me fumbling for the mute 600 times a call). Not a fan of the ones that interact with Skype's mute status via software either as they always get out of sync.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've never had issues with Jabra headsets and Skype getting out of sync as long as you install the Jabra Direct software.
Zoom is still a work in progress but the latest versions of each have gotten ALOT better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.