FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iPhone 8 keeps dropping Wifi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2002750-iphone-8-keeps-dropping-wifi.html)

tmorse6570 Jan 5, 2020 3:25 am

iPhone 8 keeps dropping Wifi

This just started happening a month ago and it only drops the wifi connection at my workplace. At home it just auto connects with no problems and never drops. Also works fine with hotel wifi. It's just at work.

Tried restarting the phone but it didn't help. Any ideas?

evergrn Jan 5, 2020 3:37 am

Originally Posted by tmorse6570 (Post 31910683)
This just started happening a month ago and it only drops the wifi connection at my workplace. At home it just auto connects with no problems and never drops. Also works fine with hotel wifi. It's just at work.

Tried restarting the phone but it didn't help. Any ideas?

Sorry I have no idea or solution for you, but I had the same thing start happening with my Iphone 6 last fall.
No problems with home wifi, but it would just start dropping repeatedly (with just a couple minutes of inactivity) with hotel wifi.
My wife's Iphone 8 had no such problem at the same hotels.

I recently got X and those problems have disappeared.
Starting to wonder if these Iphones have very short shelf lives where you're bound to start having weird inexplicable issues after ~1.5yrs of ownership. Mind you, I'm not at all tech-savvy.

Dodge DeBoulet Jan 5, 2020 5:49 am

Is it possible there's been an upgrade of your wireless infrastructure at work? I've heard (anecdotally) that Apple products have trouble with some of the more recent Atheros-based wifi chipsets used in newer routers and access points, but work fine with Broadcom. And it's more often that 5GHz is an issue than 2.4GHz; if you have the option of selecting between the two at work, try connecting to the 2.4GHz network. This may mean you'll have to make your phone "forget" the 5GHz SSID.

tmorse6570 Jan 5, 2020 6:30 am

Somehow the Auto Join and Auto Sign In were in the off positions in settings. It seems to work now with both of them on.

freQ Jan 5, 2020 7:21 pm

I had to use the "forget network" feature to fix this before, not sure why it happens. All of a sudden I couldn't connect to my home network with no explanation. I wish Apple made it easier to manage saved WiFi networks like on Android and Windows.

gfunkdave Jan 6, 2020 7:55 am

As with other things Apple, many times the only way to fix these weird errors is to wipe the device. In this case you can just wipe the network settings (General - Reset - Reset Network Settings).

GUWonder Jan 7, 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 31910711)
I recently got X and those problems have disappeared.
Starting to wonder if these Iphones have very short shelf lives where you're bound to start having weird inexplicable issues after ~1.5yrs of ownership. Mind you, I'm not at all tech-savvy.

I'm still using iPhones as old as back to the initial days of the 4S -- some of the phones which have never even been wiped completely back to factory settings after purchase -- and have had no more weird connection problems on the older iPhones than I've had on the 11Pro.

Whether the issue is the phone, the router, the ISP or a combination of those does vary for me.

N830MH Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm

I still have my iPhone 6 plus for a long time. I have no problem at all. Hopefully in a few years I will get new iPhone 11 or 12.