Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Noise canceling head phones

Old Dec 24, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; IHG Spire

Not sure if this is the right forum or this should be for the Travel Products section...

I would like to ask for a recommendation for a good quality noise canceling head phone, good for inflight use, but also good for use at home/ office. I use a mac and would need one with good compatibility with iOs.

Also, do the new wireless head sets have an option for plug in, for compatibility with IFE?
Old Dec 24, 19, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki View Post
I would like to ask for a recommendation for a good quality noise canceling head phone, good for inflight use, but also good for use at home/ office. I use a mac and would need one with good compatibility with iOs.
I am very happy with my Bose QC20 (got the same model as replacement after 1st one broke after a few years). compact and not bluetooth, because that's not my thing

I assume you have the latest iOS gadgets that dont have 3.5mm, so you'll be looking for bluetooth?

inear, overear versus on ear? (same thing as though you're researching a regular non-noise-cancelling headset)

Also, do the new wireless head sets have an option for plug in, for compatibility with IFE?
some do, some don't

eg: Bose QC35 is bluetooth and still has a 3.5mm plug

you can workaround the problem by using an IFE->Bluetooth transmitter - it's another thing to carry/charge, but could be useful at home for things that don't have bluetooth

Amazon Amazon
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
We have quite a few threads discussing noise cancelling headphones; here are links to a couple of more recent ones:
Noise-canceling Headphones Recommendation Request

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?
Old Dec 25, 19, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
I am very happy with my Bose QC20 (got the same model as replacement after 1st one broke after a few years). compact and not bluetooth, because that's not my thing

I assume you have the latest iOS gadgets that dont have 3.5mm, so you'll be looking for bluetooth?

inear, overear versus on ear? (same thing as though you're researching a regular non-noise-cancelling headset)

some do, some don't

eg: Bose QC35 is bluetooth and still has a 3.5mm plug

you can workaround the problem by using an IFE->Bluetooth transmitter - it's another thing to carry/charge, but could be useful at home for things that don't have bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl.../dp/B01EHSX28M
Thanks!

Are the in-ear devices "better" at noise canceling than the on-ear ones?

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
We have quite a few threads discussing noise cancelling headphones; here are links to a couple of more recent ones:

Noise-canceling Headphones Recommendation Request

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?
The first thread has had no replies since 2018, missing out on the latest products from this year.

That second thread did not have answers specific to my question. My main quandary is the iOs connectivity of the device. Bose's latest has had issues. Also, as paperwastage above has answered, whether a particular model has both wireless and "wired" connectivities.
Old Dec 25, 19, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
That second thread did not have answers specific to my question. My main quandary is the iOs connectivity of the device. Bose's latest has had issues. Also, as paperwastage above has answered, whether a particular model has both wireless and "wired" connectivities.
Then take a look at this thread:
Airpod Pro just came out with ANC.... Experiences?
Old Dec 26, 19, 3:17 pm

Hard to say if on ear provides better nc than inear. You can compare two products of roughly the same generation (eg qc30 vs qc35 I) and see the on paper performance

Eg find a more updated chart like this

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/te...passive-active

On/over ear do provide additional passive noise isolation compared to in ear.

Again, hugely personal factor on whether you think it's better or not - bose has plenty of stores where you can try the demo units, B&H in NYC should have demo units for nonBose NC headsets too, apple should have demo units for airpod pros too

I can't handle on/over ear (ears get too hot). It's much easier to sleep with in ear too. Also, do note that some Bluetooth devices cannot be used while charging (so verify that the battery life is adequate for your trips)

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 26, 19 at 3:26 pm
Old Dec 26, 19, 9:03 pm

Yes, best to go try them on with the feature list you're looking for and make a decision upon that, especially if your budget is $200-350. Older threads also mention noise isolating models like deep insertion Etymotic or custom IEMs.

Some things to pay attention to in addition to audio quality:
1. Does the ANC sound make you dizzy or do you get a headache. Some people get dizzier with Sony vs Bose (etc).
2. Is the unit comfortable for extended wear
3. Do you want to pair it to more than one device. That's not going to be Sony very easily.
4. Does call quality matter
5. Are you willing to carry and charge the unit
6. Does it work well for your travel scenarios (sleep on plane, bend over in Y if you travel in that class, public transit, lose small things, hard to fit ears)
7. What are you willing to spend. IME, ANC is still mostly you get what you pay for. The smaller the unit, the less replaceable the battery.
8. IFE Physical jack option (over ear or lightning adapter) vs bluetooth transmitter (and/or receiver)

ETA: If you'll be in Japan, the e-earphone store in Akihabara or Osaka Nihonbashi https://www.e-earphone.jp/ is a lot of fun. Easy to spend a few hours there testing earphones with your own device.

Last edited by freecia; Dec 26, 19 at 9:15 pm
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:25 am

Not sure if this is the right forum or this should be for the Travel Products section...

Goto your nearest outlet mall and if there is a Bose Store....do what I did. I got a pair of wired noise cancelling headphones and let me tell 'ya. 1 trip jfk-bcn-ewr and many trips from iad/was to the west coast with my noise cancelling headphones....and I heard NO babies crying...just my music and/or videos playing on my phone/tablet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: