Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite Phone Decisions and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
I don't have direct experience with their voice coverage, but I do use a satellite messenger (SPOT X) on Globalstar and have the Garmin inReach on Iridium. The Globalstar network is more limited. It's worked fine for when and where I have needed it (including the western Caribbean), but look at the coverage maps for Globalstar before you decide, and note the SPOT coverage differs dramatically from the voice coverage on Globalstar, particularly in Africa and Asia: https://www.globalstar.com/en-us/coverage-maps. Also, it appears much of the Caribbean is covered, but not all.
Yeah, that's been my understanding on the Spot X--limited coverage area. I've never paid attention to the maps, though--the inReach strikes me as the superior unit and I'm not one to skimp on safety systems. (Which is what it is for me--rescue if I hurt myself in the wilderness and can't get myself back out.)
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
Initially, I thought that the device was only capable of 1-way texting, but in further reading, it appears that one can reply to messages received. I guess that one can send initial messages to whomever one wants to be able to communicate with (starting a thread that will allow a continuous stream). Seems like a winner.
Just noticed this old message that I didn't reply to:

Check out their mapshare portal. You can configure it with or without a password and you can configure whether someone can use the portal to send you a message. (Unfortunately, you seem to be limited to having one setup--you can't make a trusted one with sending capability and a casual one without.)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA
I thought FTers might be interested in AST SpaceMobile (NASDAQ: ASTS), which is a satellite phone company, due to launch its first satellite in September. What makes ASTS intriguing is that its Low Earth Orbit satellites will connect to all existing ordinary smartphones, no special satellite phone required. ASTS plans to build out a constellation of up to 200 satellites by the end of the decade, ultimately providing 5G broadband to every square meter of the planet. Customers will need only select "yes" to a satellite roaming question on their phones, and it's seamless (and cheap) from there.

Obviously there are some big technical risks, but if it works, it will provide broadband to billions of underserved people in the developing world, and spell the end of messing about with SIMS and roaming charges for us travellers.
ll22949 and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by urbanspaceman
I thought FTers might be interested in AST SpaceMobile (NASDAQ: ASTS), which is a satellite phone company, due to launch its first satellite in September. What makes ASTS intriguing is that its Low Earth Orbit satellites will connect to all existing ordinary smartphones, no special satellite phone required. ASTS plans to build out a constellation of up to 200 satellites by the end of the decade, ultimately providing 5G broadband to every square meter of the planet. Customers will need only select "yes" to a satellite roaming question on their phones, and it's seamless (and cheap) from there.

Obviously there are some big technical risks, but if it works, it will provide broadband to billions of underserved people in the developing world, and spell the end of messing about with SIMS and roaming charges for us travellers.

I wouldn't expect this connectivity to be affordable for everyday roaming service, but a good emergency fallback for many travelers. It also might be related to the recent gift of high speed data roaming from T-Mobile that was granted last month. This was a windfall for those of us with TM who have shopped, analyzed, discussed, tested and reported here on the various roaming packages.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:16 am

So it is like putting cell towers in low orbit? It seems like it would be difficult to get pass FCC. Interesting idea though.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:46 pm

It seems to be similar to SpaceX/Musk SkyLink satellite array but for current LTE & 5G cellular devices. I read a few press releases and although they plan to launch 200 satellites by the end of 2024, each will only have about 5 minutes of connectivity for areas they service, so the number in the sky overhead is going to be a key factor in their success. They also plan to initially cover equatorial regions first, just as O3B did with their "Other 3 Billion" without connectivity in that zone.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by draver
It seems to be similar to SpaceX/Musk SkyLink satellite array but for current LTE & 5G cellular devices. I read a few press releases and although they plan to launch 200 satellites by the end of 2024, each will only have about 5 minutes of connectivity for areas they service, so the number in the sky overhead is going to be a key factor in their success. They also plan to initially cover equatorial regions first, just as O3B did with their "Other 3 Billion" without connectivity in that zone.
Looks like Starlink is now doing EXACTLY the same thing next year and partnered with T-Mobile already. This is awesome since I got T-Mobile.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spacex-...-s-11661473520
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Nice idea on one level, but also could turn out to be a vehicle for more widespread surveillance of communications.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:14 pm

Poor iPhone 14 Satellite SOS feature got it's thunder stolen by T-Mobile and Starlink's announcement 2 weeks ago. I think Apple's video of showing Satellite SOS working under heavy thunder cloud is a bit deceiving. If I can't get the big DirectTV dish pointing straight at the satellite working while there is thunder clouds, I am not sure how well the phone will work without any special antenna. At the end, they did show it working in a desert which is the more likely scenario where it would be useful. I can see that my car ran out of gas or broke down in the middle of a desert road and can't call anyone because there is no cell tower nearby.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Need
Poor iPhone 14 Satellite SOS feature got it's thunder stolen by T-Mobile and Starlink's announcement 2 weeks ago. I think Apple's video of showing Satellite SOS working under heavy thunder cloud is a bit deceiving. If I can't get the big DirectTV dish pointing straight at the satellite working while there is thunder clouds, I am not sure how well the phone will work without any special antenna. At the end, they did show it working in a desert which is the more likely scenario where it would be useful. I can see that my car ran out of gas or broke down in the middle of a desert road and can't call anyone because there is no cell tower nearby.
Direct TV’s 11 satellites orbit at 22,236 miles above the earth. Starlink’s 3,000+ satellites orbit at 340 miles above the earth. Comparing reception for the 2 systems is an apple/orange comparison. Starlink was designed with mobile communication services as an objective.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Direct TV’s 11 satellites orbit at 22,236 miles above the earth. Starlink’s 3,000+ satellites orbit at 340 miles above the earth. Comparing reception for the 2 systems is an apple/orange comparison. Starlink was designed with mobile communication services as an objective.
I don't think Apple is partnering with Starlink though. I think they are using normal Satellite Phone's Satellite, but not sure how far those are away from Earth comparing to other satellites. I read that normal Satellite Phones do not work well under heavy cloud.

EDIT: looks like Apple is partnered with GlobalStar which has low orbit (but not as low as Starlink) at 1400km. I am still skeptical about pointing the phone at the satellite thru the storm clouds would let the message go thru.

Last edited by Need; Sep 8, 2022 at 9:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.