Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any experiences with Dual Sim iPhone (11) in the US?

Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat

For various reasons, I’m locked into the Apple environment.

With the iPhone 11 supporting dual-SIM capabilities, does anyone have experience using it for two lines with either both on one US carrier or two different US carriers? I’d like to port our long-held landline phone number to somewhere to keep the number, and putting it on my cellphone is one alternative. Information seems a bit lacking on exactly how this works.

For me, the second line could be voice-only (or voice & SMS only). Also evaluating VoIP alternatives as a destination for the number.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used it and it works just fine. You have to port the number to a carrier that supports the SIM - either eSIM or physical SIM - that you need to use. Also I believe that if you have Verizon on one SIM you can't have it on the other too.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I’ve also used it with no issues... AT&T eSIM and Google Fi SIM. But if you’re just looking for a cheap place to park an old landline phone number, I’d look at voip.ms instead of another cellular line.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I use my iPhone 11 Pro in this way, and used my XS similarly in the past. VZW eSIM, and Google Fi physical SIM (so T-Mo network here). Works really well, with no noticeable issues on my end. Obviously when one service is being used, the other is disabled. As java mentions above, that's certainly not the cheapest solution to your issue.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:07 pm

Question

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Also I believe that if you have Verizon on one SIM you can't have it on the other too.
Interesting. What leads you to believe so? I ask, because theoretically there should be no reason why two Verizon SIMs (one physical, one esim) could not co-exist on a single device. The two sims operate with separate IMEIs. Has anybody tried this?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
Interesting. What leads you to believe so? I ask, because theoretically there should be no reason why two Verizon SIMs (one physical, one esim) could not co-exist on a single device. The two sims operate with separate IMEIs. Has anybody tried this?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

If a CDMA carrier provides service on one of the SIMs then you can't use the other one for another CDMA carrier. Of course, LTE != CDMA so maybe this is moot...but CDMA doesn't use SIMs to begin with.

Verizon's eSIM FAQ doesn't mention it anymore so maybe things have changed.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
CDMA isn’t long for Verizon’s world so I’m not too worried about that. Seems like the choice is to take a VoIP based solution for less cost and keep it at home or about ~$20/mo for it to end up on my mobile.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bmr12
Seems like the choice is to take a VoIP based solution for less cost and keep it at home or about ~$20/mo for it to end up on my mobile.
You can use a VoIP based solution like voip.ms and still receive the calls on your cell if that's what you want. Call forwarding is the easiest, but it costs a little bit (~$0.01/minute). This is what I do because call volume on my old landline number is very low. Or you can use an app like Bria to get your VoIP line on your phone. This also lets you make outbound calls from that number, but it can affect battery life.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
You could just move your landline to google voice. Probably the easiest and cheapest method to keep the line.

As for dual Sim, I'm currently using Verizon as primary (eSim) and Google Fi as a secondary (physical sim) in my iPhone XS Max. Works great

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.