Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

One cellphone or two? What's your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One cellphone or two? What's your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally have no more than two phones on my person, however I have often traveled with 3+ phones, many dual SIM phones as well as a myriad of SIM cards. Dual SIM always sounds like a great idea, until you find that your battery does not last as long.........
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by hfly
I generally have no more than two phones on my person, however I have often traveled with 3+ phones, many dual SIM phones as well as a myriad of SIM cards. Dual SIM always sounds like a great idea, until you find that your battery does not last as long.........
Odd, mine have never suffered from that problem. But then again I am not constantly on social meejah, games, or generally addicted to it. For example my last full charge was 7 hours ago and, if you believe it, the battery is predicted to last until about 1845 GMT tomorrow.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

two active radios use more power than 1 active radio, so the battery lasts less, nothing to do with any other factors.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
two active radios use more power than 1 active radio, so the battery lasts less, nothing to do with any other factors.
most dual sim phones are dual standby, not dual active

so only 1 active radio hardware, but it'll use a little more battery to keep track of the networks using time division multiplex

dual active phones will definitely use much more battery

my dual standby phone, haven't really noticed a significant battery drain (usually 8-14%/hour for screenon active usage, 1-2%/hour standby/sleep with syncing)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You can keep all your facts and logic, it's the last resort of the desperate.

Anyway, mine lasts much much longer than my work iphone which is used less. But cannot beat the Nokia from olden days!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Odd, mine have never suffered from that problem. But then again I am not constantly on social meejah, games, or generally addicted to it. For example my last full charge was 7 hours ago and, if you believe it, the battery is predicted to last until about 1845 GMT tomorrow.
Having dual-SIMs operating on a phone simultaneously does drain down the battery at least somewhat faster than when using only one SIM. At least it does on the iOS and Android phones that are dual-SIM (including SIM+eSIM) capable. But if not turning on the second installed SIM/eSIM to maintain network connectivity, there shouldn't be any difference in battery drain.

But dual-standby with two SIMs does have somewhat more battery drain impact on the phone than having only one SIM on the phone operating.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be clear, I of course was speaking about having two installed and ACTIVE.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage
note that there are other phones now with DSDV (dual sim dual VoLTE), something to note if using Jio in India (and the whole VoLTE/VoWiFi mess). dont think pixel 4/3a supports DSDV

https://www.androidcentral.com/what-...hould-you-care
I'm not sure how accurate that list is. For instance, I'm pretty sure my OnePlus 6 only supports VoLTE on one SIM card at a time (though it very well could be due to Fi being the second SIM card; I'll need to research some more to be sure).

EDIT: popped out my T-Mobile SIM and kept the Fi one. After putting the tray back in, I saw VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling options for that SIM card. With both SIM cards in the tray, those two options only appear for the T-Mobile SIM. I'd say that's pretty definitively a no on dual VoLTE.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure how accurate that list is. For instance, I'm pretty sure my OnePlus 6 only supports VoLTE on one SIM card at a time (though it very well could be due to Fi being the second SIM card; I'll need to research some more to be sure).

EDIT: popped out my T-Mobile SIM and kept the Fi one. After putting the tray back in, I saw VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling options for that SIM card. With both SIM cards in the tray, those two options only appear for the T-Mobile SIM. I'd say that's pretty definitively a no on dual VoLTE.
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/d....834782/page-2

Supposed to work

Can you put both Sims, set both to lte only. Enable data on sim1, take call from sim2 and data still works on sim1?

(Do the same test with data on sim2 call on sim1)

As I said, volte is messy
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/d....834782/page-2

Supposed to work

Can you put both Sims, set both to lte only. Enable data on sim1, take call from sim2 and data still works on sim1?

(Do the same test with data on sim2 call on sim1)

As I said, volte is messy
Just tried this. Made a call on SIM2 and was unable to use any data on SIM1 until after I hung up.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Just tried this. Made a call on SIM2 and was unable to use any data on SIM1 until after I hung up.
So volte is enabled on both Sims (since lte only) regardless of the settings options, but DSDV doesn't work

I don't have my other phone to test (umidigi s3 pro which has dsdv), gave to someone else
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So volte is enabled on both Sims (since lte only) regardless of the settings options, but DSDV doesn't work

I don't have my other phone to test (umidigi s3 pro which has dsdv), gave to someone else
Forgot to mention that I actually had no option to do LTE only. I only saw "2G/3G/4G", "2G/3G" and "2G" as options, and not as a per-SIM setting either.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:40 pm

Forgot to mention that I actually had no option to do LTE only. I only saw "2G/3G/4G", "2G/3G" and "2G" as options, and not as a per-SIM setting either.
Then did network drop to 3g during call?

My settings menu doesn't have option for LTE only, but my status bar quickmenu icon does (long press to toggle different sim)

Also,u can force it via *#*#4656#*#* in the dialer, choose lte only

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 12, 2019 at 1:17 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then did network drop to 3g during call?

My settings menu doesn't have option for LTE only, but my status bar quickmenu icon does (long press to toggle different sim)

Also,u can force it via *#*#4656#*#* in the dialer, choose lte only
Data service wasn't available, period, if I used the SIM without active data to dial out. No letters above either of the signal bars during a call even with setting data to LTE only via *#*#4636#*#*.

However, if I dial out with the active data SIM, I still see LTE over its corresponding signal bars (presumably meaning I can still use data during a call). This is the case even when using the default "TD-SCDMA/CDMA/UMTS" option in the settings the dialer code brings up.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:47 pm

I have a dual sim IPhone 11, both sims are active, and I am really pleased with the battery life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.