Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Router for a Camera

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
No, I want a video camera to use in hotel rooms to watch/record my dog while we are out of the room.
The "pet in room" agreements I've seen at hotels always seem to require the dog not be left alone in the room. Is that not always the case?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jspira
The "pet in room" agreements I've seen at hotels always seem to require the dog not be left alone in the room. Is that not always the case?
No it is not. Some just want to be notified when you're out of the room so housekeeping doesn't come in.
jspira likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:49 pm

FaceTime on an iPad?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisrozon
FaceTime on an iPad?
Thanks, that might work, but if it goes off line then it won't work any longer.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:23 pm

Do flip through the travel router threads on FlyerTalk.

I've tried many travel routers over the years and am currently traveling with GL.Inet's GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) and GL-AR750S-EXT (Slate) routers. Pretty happy with both of them. I also have a few of the Wyze cameras and can confirm that they work quite happily with these travel routers.

One unique feature of the GL.Inet travel routers is that they behave like a laptop or phone with regard to connecting to WiFi networks in that they will remember networks they've connected to previously. Most routers require that you log into them and manually connect to each different WiFi network. I tend to stay in the same hotels often, and most of the big chains have their SSIDs similar, so I can get into the room, plug in the router, and I'm up and running.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

@KRSW Thanks again. I just ordered the Gl.inet router and the Wyze Pan camera (which I wanted to get anyway).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:26 am

I have a couple of the Wyze Pans, but traditionally I take the little cube Wyzes when I travel. The Wyze Pans, with motion tracking turned on, are quite intimidating to many people. Once it sees motion, it'll rotate and move the eyeball up and down to follow them as they move around the room. Indeed, I often use them for that purpose, sometimes without them actually being connected to any network or recording.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
The Wyze Pans, with motion tracking turned on, are quite intimidating to many people. Once it sees motion, it'll rotate and move the eyeball up and down to follow them as they move around the room. Indeed, I often use them for that purpose, sometimes without them actually being connected to any network or recording.
What exactly is the "purpose"? To freak people out? LOL. I didn't know that Wyze Pans cam does that! I got the cube v2 and it is amazing for the price.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

I have a couple of the Wyze Pans, but traditionally I take the little cube Wyzes when I travel. The Wyze Pans, with motion tracking turned on, are quite intimidating to many people. Once it sees motion, it'll rotate and move the eyeball up and down to follow them as they move around the room. Indeed, I often use them for that purpose, sometimes without them actually being connected to any network or recording.
I ordered the pan camera and will look into buying a second one to use for travel only. It sounds like the cube is better for that purpose.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

How's this for lousy luck?

Received both the router and camera. We set up the router first so we could connect the camera to it. It's a tiny little thing It was pretty easy to do, though it does appear to be on the slow side, even connected to my fast home wireless network. I don't know how it will do transmitting video.

I went to connect the camera, and the yellow set up light never came on. I tried anyway, and of course, it wouldn't connect. I unplugged & plugged it several times and waited minutes, not the 15 seconds they recommended, and still nothing.

Contacted them thru chat at told them exactly what I did. Their response? We have to get you a replacement since it's defective. I asked if I could send it back to Amazon and get another one and they said yes.

New camera on its way and old one is already on it's way back
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Need
What exactly is the "purpose"? To freak people out? LOL. I didn't know that Wyze Pans cam does that! I got the cube v2 and it is amazing for the price.
Since it's a Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) camera, it's used for motion tracking, so the camera will move to follow the motion and keep it in view. Usually PTZ cameras are hidden behind tinted polycarbonate domes, but in the case of the Wyze Pan, the entire camera body rotates to pan horizontally and the camera is mounted in a golf-ball-like housing that can pan vertically.

We've set a few of these up where there have been thefts and people most certainly notice the camera spinning around and following them. I've found that most thieves aren't the brightest, especially construction workers stealing from job sites, so they seem to think there's an actual human being watching them and moving the camera.
Need likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Since it's a Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) camera, it's used for motion tracking, so the camera will move to follow the motion and keep it in view. Usually PTZ cameras are hidden behind tinted polycarbonate domes, but in the case of the Wyze Pan, the entire camera body rotates to pan horizontally and the camera is mounted in a golf-ball-like housing that can pan vertically.

We've set a few of these up where there have been thefts and people most certainly notice the camera spinning around and following them. I've found that most thieves aren't the brightest, especially construction workers stealing from job sites, so they seem to think there's an actual human being watching them and moving the camera.
I wonder if it is using their "person detection" algorithm. Because I just read on on Wyze announcement that they had to remove that on the next firmware update because the contract was terminated with the 3rd company. Now if you update your firmware, would it lose the function of tracking people? But if it is just tracking "motion", it will probably still work. I didn't know about this tracking feature, or I would have use it instead of the cube in the front porch. I think I might to get one to freak out the Amazon delivery people... they come to my house about 3 or 4 times a week!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Got the replacement pan camera and got it set up and working with the travel router. Problem is, it can't store 2 networks at the same time. I wanted to be able to use it for travel and home and it requires a set up for each set up. I checked their website, and without jumping through hoops, the functionality isn't there.

I set it up on a console table in the center of the house and it covers the living room, front door, my office, and staircase. Pretty neat. I don't have the hang of controlling it yet so that I can see where the dog is (often on the back of the couch looking out the window).

To combat having to set up cameras everytime I go on vacation, I'm just going to buy 2 cube cameras. Keep one for the back of the house, and stick the other with my travel things. It's only $25.

On my home network the travel router seems to be OK. A bit slow, but OK. I'm going to add the micro SD card as well. My biggest concern is a noise alert, which would notify me of his barking. I don't care if he moves around

Thank you
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So set the travel router to broadcast the same network as your home network. You don't need to use the travel router at home anyway, do you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.