Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Explain Cloudflare's "1.1.1.1" app, please. Is it helpful? Harmful?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

The webpage for the app really isn't terribly informative

https://1.1.1.1/
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:19 pm

After looking at their website, and looking at app store reviews, it would appear to be some sort of VPN that does some sort of dynamic rerouting to speed up your connection...but I'm not sure how much of the service is part of the basic app and how much is covered under a monthly fee (WARP or WARP+).

Some people are reporting incompatibilities with apps like Spotify, Youtube and Netflix, and one person believes it's what's behind his CarPlay issues. Also, I don't know what OS you're using but I'm seeing some reviews saying that it's not playing nicely with iOS 13.

If you're looking for a free VPN it might be worth checking out the basic package, but YMMV.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Gold
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/...at-is-1.1.1.1/
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The webpage for the app really isn't terribly informative

https://1.1.1.1/
Maybe this will help

The biggest difference is that VPNs hide your own location and origin IP, the Cloudflare doesn't (nor does it claim to) but it does encrypt your traffic, and it's free. I haven't seen any evidence they do anything hinky like log collection, packet sniffing, recording where you go, etc. But it's somewhere inbetween an actual VPN and no VPN.

Personally I use VyprVPN from GoldenFrog, but mostly that's because my company pays for it and I don't have to.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Any increase in speed wasn’t obvious to me and I’ve had occasional connectivity issues with 1.1.1.1 on my iOS devices. I have a premium Dashlane account and use their VPN tool when I’m on public WiFi. Seems to work fine. You can pick your country if that matters.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I’ve used their 1.1.1.1 DNS for a few years now, and use the app on some devices. I also use various VPN for both domestic and international use.

While it is doing some routing for optimization, and doing SOME masking - certainly from your ISP, this is a domestic company and subject to subpoena and court orders. It is not a VPN for hiding your tricks, masking your location or totally preventing eaves dropping.

the new WARP 1.1.1.1 is probably better than putting in a full blown VPN for coffee shop/airport hotspots, but again not to the extent of protection a VPN would offer.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

All that 1.1.1.1 blocks are your DNS queries. Domain Name Service (DNS) is the phone book of the internet. When you type in FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community - FlyerTalk is a living, growing community where frequent travelers around the world come to exchange knowledge and experiences about everything miles and points related., your computer needs to know the Internet Protocol (IP) address where the FlyerTalk.com server lives. So, it asks the DNS server if it's heard of FlyerTalk.com and where to find it. The DNS server will respond with 104.27.175.149, and your computer then 'dials' 104.27.175.149 to reach FlyerTalk.

As to the utility of hiding this information... well... if you use 1.1.1.1 as DNS, your internet provider no longer has a record of which 'phonebook' entries you're looking up. BUT, they can still see which IPs/servers you are connecting to.

Some 3rd-party DNS services provide malware/spyware/ad blocking. Some promise fast performance, etc. At our office we run OpenDNS as primary, our local ISP's as secondary, all running through PFBlocker to provide additional ad blocking & filtering. At home I'm running OpenDNS as primary, Cloudflare as secondary, running through a PiHole to sort-of function like PFBlocker. I also use my PiHole to VPN back home when on the road.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Has anyone had experience with Blockada? The Devs seem responsive to concerns in reviews.It does seem to work. I do have to turn it off to update a phone OS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.