Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Extending long term battery life in a smartphone

Old Nov 3, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

I've come to the conclusion that today's smartphones have their own type of terminal cancer. They will die in 3 years, maybe 4 years if you're lucky. The batteries are increasing not replaceable. You cannot snap open the back and put a new battery in. Maybe some models can be sent to the repair shop to have it done.

How to extend the life of the smartphone?

1. Do not use the smartphone for airline movies. Listen up AAmerican AAirlines and your plans to remove seat back displays. If necessary, get a tablet but note that Amazon Fire may have an impossible time to get Gogo or anything in Google Play to download.

2. Charge the phone when at 12-20% only and charge it to 80-95% only.

3. Try to leave the phone undisturbed when charging so that you don't put stress on the charger plug into the phone (unless you have wireless charging). I had a previous phone that had to be put to rest because the plug was loose and would not recharge unless you held pressure at a certain angle.

4. Maybe use a camera more instead of the camera on the phone?

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Toshbaf; Nov 3, 19 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What model phone has a completely non-replaceable battery?

I take a 2 hour shopping trip to the mall once every 2-3 years, dropping my phone off at the Apple store an picking it up 90 minutes later. Not a tremendous impact on my lifestyle.
smc333 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:59 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
I've come to the conclusion that today's smartphones have their own type of terminal cancer. They will die in 3 years, maybe 4 years if you're lucky. The batteries are increasing not replaceable. You cannot snap open the back and put a new battery in. Maybe some models can be sent to the repair shop to have it done.

How to extend the life of the smartphone?

1. Do not use the smartphone for airline movies. Listen up AAmerican AAirlines and your plans to remove seat back displays. If necessary, get a tablet but note that Amazon Fire may have an impossible time to get Gogo or anything in Google Play to download.

2. Charge the phone when at 12-20% only and charge it to 80-95% only.

3. Try to leave the phone undisturbed when charging so that you don't put stress on the charger plug into the phone (unless you have wireless charging). I had a previous phone that had to be put to rest because the plug was loose and would not recharge unless you held pressure at a certain angle.

4. Maybe use a camera more instead of the camera on the phone?

Any other ideas?
Letting it drain as #2 is not practical. Honestly, neither is filling it to a partial charge. If you use 60% over the course of the day, starting from 80% will leave you at 20% where most phones will throttle down. Starting from 100% will give you better buffer at 40% -- least of all in terms of mental comfort. (Not to mention batteries come over-spec, so if you let it charge fully, you're probably getting a few extra percentage points to spare)

I used to cap the charge of my laptop, and it gave me constant battery anxiety. For how much phones and laptops cost, versus their utility and expected lifetime, I found it better just to use it as is. Babying their batteries is not worth the effort.

Even if battery replacement isn't directly straight forward, you can always find a shop to do it for you.

If you do want to reduce # of charging cycles of your devices, and avoid always having to hit the extremes of its capacity, buy a phone with bigger battery!
My Huawei has tremendous battery capacity (4000+ mAh) and efficient battery-management. At night it often ends up at around 50%, as opposed to 30%. Meaning I don't have to plug it in every night like I used to with other phones.
If I have to be away from the wall for a while, I also feel confident no matter where the charge is at, rather than having being compelled to wait until its fully topped off. And in turn those qualities give it better battery health.
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:42 am

Don't use the fast charging (heats up battery, bad for it*)

Use regular 5v/2A if you can.

*Excluding tech like OPPO vooc chargin, which doesn't heat up phone

Gsmarena says there are 29 phones released in 2019 with removable battery. (Not all phones tracked by gsmarean, so there should be more). Mid/low range mostly, and I doubt you'll find a genuinr new OEM battery 2 years from now

Wonder why no one puts a commodity li-ion cell in a cellphone (18650 might be too thick, maybe 10400 which is AAA sized, or make a chin ala Moto razr ). No demand I guess

https://m.gsmarena.com/results.php3?...BatRemovable=1

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 4, 19 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I'll use a fast charger in the late evening to get my phone to 80-85%--typically 15-45 minutes--about once every two weeks I forget and it charges all the way to 100%. Then I won't charge it again until it hits 15-25%, which may not be until lunch time the next day or even later. I typically use a wireless charge when I need charge my phone during the day. The only other place I use a fast charger is in the car, and only if I know I won't be near a charger for a long while.
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta
I've heard all the advice about not charging phones to 100%, and also counter-claims that battery manufacturers account for this and keep the phone from charging to a dangerous level anyway... I don't know where the truth is, but I've personally not witnessed the kind of battery degradation that people seem to be worried about (with phones from Samsung, Motorola, Google, Asus), so I prefer to optimize for my sanity and just don't worry about it at all. I leave my current phone charging all night long next to my bed, and it might get charged in the car too if I'm using Android Auto, so it stays at or close to 100% for a lot of the time. If I'm traveling I charge whenever I can find an outlet, as I'd rather not run out of juice while in transit somewhere. A secondary phone I have stays on the charger for weeks at a time. Still seems to work fine, holds a charge for a good part of the day, and my belief is that even if the battery is degrading, it isn't degrading fast enough before I end up replacing my phone for other reasons anyway - on average I seem to be going through a phone every 2-3 years or so. (Not for battery-related reasons.)

Are those of you who are very careful about the charging levels keeping your phones for very long on average? Or, how quickly are you seeing the degradation, and how bad is the degradation - is it just a shorter time that the battery holds a charge, or is it that the battery completely fails and doesn't hold a charge at all after a while?
Need likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:35 pm

Monitor apps to see if they use location services only when in use or if it's always on - changing those settings can reduce battery drain, though it may not be a major amount.

Be aware of your surroundings; if you're in a remote location with little to no cell access then put your phone in airplane mode so it doesn't burn through battery looking for a signal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: